LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 361 users in the forums

Resign Isaac Sopoaga???

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Resign Isaac Sopoaga???

Its probably not going to happen but it would be nice if Baalke got aggressive and traded up to the mid first. J Williams, Hankins, and Jenkins would be available there. Would be a treat. RJF is most def not the answer for the 0 tec. Hes a perfect rotator on the ends but he's not a NT.
[ Edited by eonblue on Feb 6, 2013 at 9:23 PM ]
No.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
No, no, no, and no.

Not sure where people get their misconceptions about this guy, he's one of the poorest run defending dt's in football, he's ranked near the bottom of NFL NT's. 49ers have some of the most dominant run-defenders in the NFL at their respective positions in Justin Smith, Willis, Bowman and McDonald. Soap is the only member of the front seven that is ranked poorly against the run. He's the biggest weak link on the defensive line and the one starter on the defense that absolutely needs to be replaced.

You think its a coincidence that this team struggles so much with physical runners going up the middle? The purpose of the NT in the 3-4 is to keep blockers off the linebackers and he doesn't do that. Last year he had a great year individually was still basically about average. I rank this team's need for a true starting NT first and foremost above all.

That's my impression as well. The NT is one of our weak points. Vince Wilfork is making loads of money by plugging up the middle for short gains.
Draft Jonathan Jenkins DT Georgia
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
Overrated overacheiver.

I think we let him walk, and its the reason im firmly for drafting a NT in the first. We need a big monster in the middle to eat the double and free up the DE's and LB's to do their thing.

Absolutely.
Originally posted by eonblue:
Its probably not going to happen but it would be nice if Baalke got aggressive and traded up to the mid first. J Williams, Hankins, and Jenkins would be available there. Would be a treat. RJF is most def not the answer for the 0 tec. Hes a perfect rotator on the ends but he's not a NT.

I agree, Jonathan Jenkins and Bacarri Rambo SS in the 2nd round
Originally posted by 49erSince1981:
Draft Jonathan Jenkins DT Georgia
6 foot 3 - 351 pounds.
[ Edited by RogerCraig on Feb 6, 2013 at 9:42 PM ]
We can package our picks and get some highly rated prospects. Defensive backfield, WR and an NT, otherwise known as a Big Fat Guy. .
Originally posted by 49erSince1981:
I agree, Jonathan Jenkins and Bacarri Rambo SS in the 2nd round

Bacarri Rambo - great name. Sounds like an evening drink with a punch.
[ Edited by RogerCraig on Feb 6, 2013 at 9:45 PM ]
Originally posted by RogerCraig:

I want a 49ers jersey with Rambo on the back.

No, no, no, and no.

Not sure where people get their misconceptions about this guy, he's one of the poorest run defending dt's in football, he's ranked near the bottom of NFL NT's. 49ers have some of the most dominant run-defenders in the NFL at their respective positions in Justin Smith, Willis, Bowman and McDonald. Soap is the only member of the front seven that is ranked poorly against the run. He's the biggest weak link on the defensive line and the one starter on the defense that absolutely needs to be replaced.

You think its a coincidence that this team struggles so much with physical runners going up the middle? The purpose of the NT in the 3-4 is to keep blockers off the linebackers and he doesn't do that. Last year he had a great year individually was still basically about average. I rank this team's need for a true starting NT first and foremost above all.

That's my impression as well. The NT is one of our weak points. Vince Wilfork is making loads of money by plugging up the middle for short gains.

That's an interesting take. You guys might be on to something. I like Sopoaga, but I'll never mistake him for a dominant run defender. Our run defense has been outstanding mostly because Willis and Bowman clean everything up before the runner breaks through past the 2nd level.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Feb 6, 2013 at 9:53 PM ]
Starlite Lotulelei is a Tongan submission machine. He would be a welcome addition to the 49er family, but without trading up, an improbable selection for the much exalted defence of the National Conference champions. Blah, blah, blah.
[ Edited by RogerCraig on Feb 6, 2013 at 10:14 PM ]

I want a 49ers jersey with Rambo on the back.

Not worth a second IMO. Third i would be fine. There will be better safetys to target in the second.
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
Not worth a second IMO. Third i would be fine. There will be better safetys to target in the second.

Kinda small. isn't he? Plays as if his hair were on fire.
[ Edited by RogerCraig on Feb 7, 2013 at 12:49 AM ]
Starlite Lotulelei is a Tongan submission machine. He would be a welcome addition to the 49er family, but without trading up, an improbable selection for the much exalted defence of the National Conference champions. Blah, blah, blah.

projected top 10 pick.
Share 49ersWebzone