LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 304 users in the forums

Do the 49ers have the making of a 16-0 team next year?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by real9erfan:
Originally posted by bpg4980:
Not a chance. I don't mean to be a downer, but doesn't everyone understand what losing a SB does to a team mentally? It's motivating to lose any other game, as long as it's not the one you dreamed about winning since you were a child. Coming up a few yards short in the biggest moment of your life is not something you just "come back stronger from". Dying inside is not a good thing! Ask any player who's lost a SB and they'll tell you it's not fuel for anything other than depression and regret. The players hearts were broken in the NFCCG last year, but they were stomped on this year.

It's been over 40 years since a team that has lost the SB has come back and won it the next year. Realistically, when we are faced with adversity next year (and we will be) the seeds of doubt are more likely to crawl into our players minds than this year. It's undeniable human nature and that's why it's been so long since a SB loser has overcome the albatross of losing the big one. This isn't basketball or baseball where there are far less injuries and best of 7 series with breaks to heal emotional wounds. Football is different. Even as talented as we are, mindset is very important, and it will be a historical anomaly if our guys are mentally tough enough to block all of this out. Like all of you, I'm hoping I'm wrong.

I think there are a lot of other factors that have resulted in teams not winning a Super Bowl after winning one. It's not because players are not motivated the next year. You look at the Buffalo Bills in the 1990's and they went to the Super Bowl 4 years in a row. True they didn't win it, but that's more due to the fact that for some reason the NFC teams going to the Super Bowl had superior talent year in year out. Obviously they were motivated enough to return not once, not twice, but three times. This year the Patriots were one game away from returning to the Super Bowl after losing last year. I don't think they failed to make it because the players had doubts creep in their heads. It's more due to the fact that they simply did not play well against Baltimore and were missing a key player due to injury. I don't see why the 49ers wouldn't have the motivation to return to the Super Bowl. I think they definitely will be determined to go back to the big game and win it. They will still have a major chip on their shoulders for failing to close the deal the year before.

they're going to be motivated no question, but that doesnt put you in the sb. all the other nfc playoff teams who lost before us are going to be motivated too. we failed to cash the lottery ticket we were holding. can we get back? sure, but i dont put us as having better odds that the other 4 or 5 nfc teams who can legitly challenge for it.
Sportsfan, let me get this straight. You're predicting that the Seahawks sweep the Niners next season and that Green Bay, a team the Niners just plastered at home in the playoffs, is going to come into the Stick and win. Hoookay.

My prediction is that the Niners lose a close one in Seattle and one other game, go 14-2 and have home field throughout the playoffs with the last game in Candlestick's long history being the NFC Championship game.
If this team wins 10 games I would be impressed.
Originally posted by GNielsen:
Sportsfan, let me get this straight. You're predicting that the Seahawks sweep the Niners next season and that Green Bay, a team the Niners just plastered at home in the playoffs, is going to come into the Stick and win. Hoookay.

My prediction is that the Niners lose a close one in Seattle and one other game, go 14-2 and have home field throughout the playoffs with the last game in Candlestick's long history being the NFC Championship game.

there is an incredible flaw in your logic. just cus we beat a team this past year doesnt mean it will happen again. in the nfl, more than any other sport, each season is a new one, what happened in previous season has zero impact on the upcoming one
Originally posted by GNielsen:

I like it, a fitting end to the 'stick.

The Catch IV?
Do the 49ers have the making of a 16-0 team next year? Yes.

Possibility? IMO, no.

Originally posted by crabman82:
there is an incredible flaw in your logic. just cus we beat a team this past year doesnt mean it will happen again. in the nfl, more than any other sport, each season is a new one, what happened in previous season has zero impact on the upcoming one

It's a prediction, not logic, and it's not based on the fact that the Niners beat anyone. It's based on the fact that the Niners will have a cohesive offense having spent the entire off season building it around Kaepernick, they will tweak their defense, they will have a much easier schedule than this last season, they will have an off season to figure out ways to deal with Russell Wilson, and they will be focused like a laser for the entire season and post season on getting back where they were.
I think we'll go 13-3

Do you know how incredibly difficult it is to go 16-0?? So much luck and good fortune, no major injuries, etc.. just not gonna happen

I think to get back to the Super Bowl we need to get the #1 seed
[ Edited by DonnieDarko on Feb 6, 2013 at 1:05 PM ]
12 wins going 4-2 in the division

hopefully better since this team has an easy road schedule with the exception of going to SEA and STL
[ Edited by sincalfaithful on Feb 6, 2013 at 1:09 PM ]
Not a chance. I don't mean to be a downer, but doesn't everyone understand what losing a SB does to a team mentally? It's motivating to lose any other game, as long as it's not the one you dreamed about winning since you were a child. Coming up a few yards short in the biggest moment of your life is not something you just "come back stronger from". Dying inside is not a good thing! Ask any player who's lost a SB and they'll tell you it's not fuel for anything other than depression and regret. The players hearts were broken in the NFCCG last year, but they were stomped on this year.

It's been over 40 years since a team that has lost the SB has come back and won it the next year. Realistically, when we are faced with adversity next year (and we will be) the seeds of doubt are more likely to crawl into our players minds than this year. It's undeniable human nature and that's why it's been so long since a SB loser has overcome the albatross of losing the big one. This isn't basketball or baseball where there are far less injuries and best of 7 series with breaks to heal emotional wounds. Football is different. Even as talented as we are, mindset is very important, and it will be a historical anomaly if our guys are mentally tough enough to block all of this out. Like all of you, I'm hoping I'm wrong.

"Whose got it better than us?"

Do you know WHY Harbaugh keeps using that line? Because when he was growing up, and the family had to deal with whichever hardship, their father used that line, and they believed it.
This is why Harbaugh says, "When someone gives you a compliment, kick them in the shin." Losing the Super Bowl is the ultimate kick in the shin.
You're right, they could collapse, or they could now have the will to win the next Super Bowl more than any other team in the league. I think Harbaugh will get them steered more toward the latter.

Not saying a team can't ever
they're going to be motivated no question, but that doesnt put you in the sb. all the other nfc playoff teams who lost before us are going to be motivated too. we failed to cash the lottery ticket we were holding. can we get back? sure, but i dont put us as having better odds that the other 4 or 5 nfc teams who can legitly challenge for it.

Agreed. It's not all about how mentally crushing a SB loss is vs any other playoff loss - but again it doesn't help. And history clearly shows that for whatever reason, teams RARELY go back the next year. Especially the losing team. It's not likely we'll stay as healthy as we did - between Manningham, Hunter, Haralson, and Kyle none of them were starters. It's always really hard to win it all, and it's never going to be easier than it would have been this year.
Not saying a team can't ever

Agreed. It's not all about how mentally crushing a SB loss is vs any other playoff loss - but again it doesn't help. And history clearly shows that for whatever reason, teams RARELY go back the next year. Especially the losing team. It's not likely we'll stay as healthy as we did - between Manningham, Hunter, Haralson, and Kyle none of them were starters. It's always really hard to win it all, and it's never going to be easier than it would have been this year.

I don't think you realize just how talented our team is. Every other team in the playoffs has been there for years, or they had a quarterback who has tons of playoff experience. We had ONE year of postseason experience before this. We now have the most exciting up and coming quarterback in the league to go along with our league leading number of pro-bowlers.
We have been behind in the playoff games this year because of lack of experience. We are a POWERHOUSE, which I hate to say because it sounds as homerish as it gets, but look at what Vegas is betting, look at our pro-bowl roster, look at our coach, look at our GM, look at our quarterback.

You're making it sound like we are some veteran team that just barely found a way into the Super Bowl on lucky bounces.

Look at some more recent Super Bowl losing teams who never made it back or hadn't won a Super Bowl within a few years before. In other words, the "One and done" teams.
Titans -- Aging veteran team
Raiders -- Aging veteran team
Eagles -- Aging veteran team
Seahawks -- Aging veteran quarterback
Cardinals -- Aging veteran quarterback on a tear, defense possessed during playoffs.
Bears -- Defensive powerhouse, nothing on offense.
Falcons -- Aging veteran quarterback.

None of these teams are close to the talent we have. Most of them had an an ageing veteran quarterback with aging veteran players. We are a different situation entirely.
[ Edited by BrianGO on Feb 6, 2013 at 3:39 PM ]
right now with vengeance and that SB still very raw . . . . . . yes they will go undefeated and run up the score on everyone while taking hold of #6.
Not with this D-line, and not with out adding another every down back, and a couple of WRs, oh and a severe cranial extraction is in order, we can't show up to games with our heads up our asses, and expect to pull it out of the s**tter in final minutes!
Originally posted by OldJoe:
Not with this defense.

Sad that our once great defense is now a liability. Well we fixed our offense this year, hopefully we make the proper changes in the backfield and draft and sign FA's to rotate for the d line and olb's
Share 49ersWebzone