LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 217 users in the forums

What is your biggest priority for improving the 2013 roster?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NCommand:
True. Scouting and execution was horrendous for the D. Seriously, you didn't know the Ravens would go to Boldin and Pitta in the RZ/EZ? Really? Unbelievable. Truly.

Noticed the 9er DBs seemed to be playing with their backs to the QB the entire game...do you see that as more a good offensive plan by the Ravens or bad D plan? There were a number of balls that could have been knocked down if the DB had turned his head. I realize some WR are much harder to read than others but...argh!
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
True. Scouting and execution was horrendous for the D. Seriously, you didn't know the Ravens would go to Boldin and Pitta in the RZ/EZ? Really? Unbelievable. Truly.

Noticed the 9er DBs seemed to be playing with their backs to the QB the entire game...do you see that as more a good offensive plan by the Ravens or bad D plan? There were a number of balls that could have been knocked down if the DB had turned his head. I realize some WR are much harder to read than others but...argh!

It's a league wide thing. Deion is the only one that turned around when the ball was in the air.
[ Edited by mayo49 on Feb 10, 2013 at 4:25 PM ]
Originally posted by mayo49:
It's a league wide thing. Deone is the only one that turned around when the ball was in the air.

Last year they were playing back and keeping the receivers in front of them, this year less of that. Not sure why. This affected their interception rate, and allowed accurate QBs to complete almost any short to mid level pass without worrying about picks.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
The team needs a #1 reciever to compliment Crabs. Might not be the biggest priority, but it is something that must be addressed.
The biggest priority in the offseason should be adding a top DT to that Dline. Secondly, the SECONDARY. I know it's too good to be true but pursuing Darrelle Revis would be great.
Originally posted by mayo49:
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

It's a league wide thing. Deone is the only one that turned around when the ball was in the air.

Agreed. I think it's coaching/tactic. Last year, while we kept everything in front of the DB's, scheme allowed guys like Rogers to cover and then beak off their man and undercut routes. This year, we seem to literally wait (that play by Brown in the Superbowl highlights this philosophy in a nutshell) until the ball arrives and then just tackle the guy for no RAC or turn and read the receivers body language and as the ball arrives, stick your hands in there and try to strip it out since the rules state you need to maintain possession throughout the process giving DB's more time to rip it out. I hated it.
Originally posted by rtj03:
Whither was terrible in the first half just plain awful. Culliver all game too!

i have been saying all the long i dont know wht anyone sees in culliver he gets beat all the time.he reminds me of another tyrone drakeford.was horriable for years but kept getting on the field until someone woke up and said he's awful get him out of here.think it was siefert towards the end or mooch who actually saw the light.I KNOW JIM AND VIC ARE GOOD WITH THE TALENT ON DEFENSE BUT SOMEONE IS MISSING SOMETHING WITH THIS GUY>
We are going to take Johnathan Hankins in the first round because it looks like he will probably be the best player available at our draft spot. Plus we need a DT anyway. No way do I think we should try and fill up all our weak areas with high drafts instead of taking the best pick available.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
#1 priority has to be getting a NT. Other positions can be argued, like CB, S, WR, and even DE to replace Justin Smith eventually. I choose getting a true nose tackle that can collapse/push the pocket because no matter who we draft at DE, they are only going to be used to give Justin Smith breathers. A good NT has the chance of actually starting day 1 and would play the largest number of meaningful snaps on defense. They also could help take some of the attention off of Justin Smith, which would help out Justin Smith in the same way Smith helps Aldon Smith's game. It would be a domino effect on the defense. It would also buy us a season or 2 to develop a safety and corner that we draft later to eventually take over in 2014 or 2015 as starters. I think it's very clear our offense is on the upswing, but we need to get the defense back to where it was in 2011 and the beginning of the 2012 season.

I have to disagree with you. Our #1 priority is to find Justin Smith #2. I forgot where I saw the stat line (I can find it if I have to) that said that Soap played like 31% of defensive snaps. You want to tie up our future and millions of dollars in a position that is going the way of the FB? The NFL trend now is 3 and 4 receiver sets, spread'em out. Thats why drafting Aldon Smith last year was genius--he didn't HAVE to be and every down LB. If we are in Nickle 60-70% of the time, we need a good NT, but nothing to sell the farm for. Its another story if one falls in your lap. Football is now about containing the pass. Soap would be stupid to follow his predecessor--Franklin--for that big FA money.Remember when we thought we HAD to keep Franklin? Baalke breaks the bank for no one, and these players know it.

Baalke will decide what he is willing to pay for Soap and Ricky Jean, and that will be that. No big deal. He'll keep one of them. The way offenses are going now, they are almost interchangeable.

The bigger issue is just what you said, Justin Smith. No Justin Smith = very mediocre defense. Having said that, the Justin Smiths of the world are RARE animals. JJ Watt is going to be the closest thing we are going to see like JS for years. I'd be happy to draft a guy like Ray McDonald. Quality starter, and was quality depth.

I have faith that Tomsula and Baalke will find the right guy(s). Tomsula knows his guys, and knows who to look for.

A close second is the CB situation. Culliver was gameplanned for by the Ravens. He has trouble tracking the ball and doesn't seem to get his head around to track it. We need a big, physical corner to contest the LOS and go against the Larry Fitzgerald types. It would also make Rogers expendable.

We also need depth at safety. Whitner can't hold up with big basketball playing TEs like J. Graham. We need a taller, more coverage style guy to mirror Goldson. In the box safetys, like fullbacks, and nose tackles, aren't the commodities anymore. QBs/WRs, and DE(rushers)/CBs are.
[ Edited by GoldandGarnet on Feb 10, 2013 at 3:43 PM ]
Originally posted by GoldandGarnet:
I have to disagree with you. Our #1 priority is to find Justin Smith #2. I forgot where I saw the stat line (I can find it if I have to) that said that Soap played like 31% of defensive snaps. You want to tie up our future and millions of dollars in a position that is going the way of the FB? The NFL trend now is 3 and 4 receiver sets, spread'em out. Thats why drafting Aldon Smith last year was genius--he didn't HAVE to be and every down LB. If we are in Nickle 60-70% of the time, we need a good NT, but nothing to sell the farm for. Its another story if one falls in your lap. Football is now about containing the pass. Soap would be stupid to follow his predecessor--Franklin--for that big FA money.Remember when we thought we HAD to keep Franklin? Baalke breaks the bank for no one, and these players know it.

Baalke will decide what he is willing to pay for Soap and Ricky Jean, and that will be that. No big deal. He'll keep one of them. The way offenses are going now, they are almost interchangeable.

The bigger issue is just what you said, Justin Smith. No Justin Smith = very mediocre defense. Having said that, the Justin Smiths of the world are RARE animals. JJ Watt is going to be the closest thing we are going to see like JS for years. I'd be happy to draft a guy like Ray McDonald. Quality starter, and was quality depth.

I have faith that Tomsula and Baalke will find the right guy(s). Tomsula knows his guys, and knows who to look for.

A close second is the CB situation. Culliver was gameplanned for by the Ravens. He has trouble tracking the ball and doesn't seem to get his head around to track it. We need a big, physical corner to contest the LOS and go against the Larry Fitzgerald types. It would also make Rogers expendable.

We also need depth at safety. Whitner can't hold up with big basketball playing TEs like J. Graham. We need a taller, more coverage style guy to mirror Goldson. In the box safetys, like fullbacks, and nose tackles, aren't the commodities anymore. QBs/WRs, and DE(rushers)/CBs are.
I'm not going to debate about whether it's DE or NT because we are on the same page. Look at it this way, the Patriots, Steelers, and Ravens are in the same pass happy league we are in. Do you see the Patriots taking Vince Wilfork off of the field for 69% of the snaps? I'm not saying a Vince Wilfork type will or will not be available at 31. What I am saying is imagine if we had a dominant NT that offenses had to account for? Considering we already have Justin Smith, if teams decide to double both Smith and our NT, imagine what it does for Ray McDonald and our linebackers? Of course we need help at DE, CB, S, and WR. But since this thread was about a #1 priority, I'd argue thata having an upgrade in the middle of our line helps us immediately and longterm. It helps Smith because he and the rest of the front 7 will have less offensive lineman trying to block them, and it helps the eventual replacement (the #2 priority) because they would be playing next to someone dominant as well.

I'm not going to debate about whether it's DE or NT because we are on the same page. Look at it this way, the Patriots, Steelers, and Ravens are in the same pass happy league we are in. Do you see the Patriots taking Vince Wilfork off of the field for 69% of the snaps? I'm not saying a Vince Wilfork type will or will not be available at 31. What I am saying is imagine if we had a dominant NT that offenses had to account for? Considering we already have Justin Smith, if teams decide to double both Smith and our NT, imagine what it does for Ray McDonald and our linebackers? Of course we need help at DE, CB, S, and WR. But since this thread was about a #1 priority, I'd argue thata having an upgrade in the middle of our line helps us immediately and longterm. It helps Smith because he and the rest of the front 7 will have less offensive lineman trying to block them, and it helps the eventual replacement (the #2 priority) because they would be playing next to someone dominant as well.

I agree with both of you. We need both. A dominant, prototypical wide-bodied, every-down NT will essentially help 3-fold. It clogs the A-gap running lanes, frees up the MLB's and DE/OLB's and also can help lead to TO's (sacks) by collapsing the middle pocket and step-up-area for QB's. Also, the RDE is used very similar to the NT in that this guy can also occupy two defenders, freeing up the OLB inside/outside, can knock down passes and collapse the pocket from the edge and contribute to sealing the edge in the run game. We need both BADLY and with a heavy rotation (coaching/scheme issue). RJF is average at best at both NT/RDE. Sopoaga is experienced but would be ideal spelling a true wide-bodied NT and at DE in our 3-4.

The good news is that our work is clearly cut out for us...now it will be up to our FO to fill those needs for now and well into our future.
[ Edited by NCommand on Feb 11, 2013 at 9:58 AM ]

I guess we are essentially in agreement--we need DL depth. I will give you that we happen to have to guy up for FA at NT and one of them is well over 30.

I did state that "unless one falls in your lap." (IF we had a Wilfork, he'd be on the field more then 30% of the snaps too). But that is another team, using another scheme, with players we don't have. We have this team, with these players and this scheme.

You also have to consider that there is no "WIlfork" NT in this draft.

Like in KC, they need a QB. No one disputes that. "Can you imagine if KC had a Franchise QB?"--ahhhhh, but there isn't one sitting there to draft to even consider. I agree, that if every draft was the same rounded, even amount of talent, NT would be the priority. But, you have to look at this draft vs. resigning of cheaper options all the while considering that NT's (except for RARE talents) aren't on the field much anymore. There are some subtleties to this question.

Say you get your Wilfork ver 2.0 NT anyway by trading up (for a kings ransom) and Justin Smith gets hurt again. Now what?

IMO, we need to take BPA on the DL. I think we agree on that.

I agree with both of you. We need both. A dominant, prototypical wide-bodied, every-down NT will essentially help 3-fold. It clogs the A-gap running lanes, frees up the MLB's and DE/OLB's and also can help lead to TO's (sacks) by collapsing the middle pocket and step-up-area for QB's. Also, the RDE is used very similar to the NT in that this guy can also occupy two defenders, freeing up the OLB inside/outside, can knock down passes and collapse the pocket from the edge and contribute to sealing the edge in the run game. We need both BADLY and with a heavy rotation (coaching/scheme issue). RJF is average at best at both NT/RDE. Sopoaga is experienced but would be ideal spelling a true wide-bodied NT and at DE in our 3-4.

The good news is that our work is clearly cut out for us...now it will be up to our FO to fill those needs for now and well into our future.

Yea, we need both, but I think you have to consider each draft individually. What if we can't have both? What if we can draft both, but drafting one early will only drop of to the next shelf of talent for the other. Which is the priority is the question at hand. We can need in one hand and Sh!t in the other. All draft classes are not the same.

We'll know more about what the 49ers are thinking as the situation unfolds on Ricky Jean's and Soap's contracts. They will be a good indication.
It's a two-pronged deal...first, the DL has to get stronger and deeper. When Justin SMith got hurt, nobody took the bull by the horns and picked up the slack. Solution: Randy Starks. Versatile big body who can play inside or out. He's 28, so still a number of good years ahead of him. Also need to draft a couple of bad-asses and there are enough out there...Baalke will need to spend some of his 14+ picks to trade up. Secondly, you have to upgrade the defensive backfield. Trade whitner if you can. His value surely went down after his pitiful performance this last season. Bring in Glover Quin, a former CB who's now a very good SS. He can actually cover and is a solid tackler, as well. I know most of this board loves Goldson, but he tarnished his worth for me with absolute disappering acts vs Atlanta and the Ravens. Option: sign Jarius Byrd. Dude's a consistent playmaker and would arguably be a better bargain than Goldson. You also sign Sean Smith, a big CB just now coming into his prime. He'd be a much better matchup against the big WR's they face just about every Sunday. How to afford? Trades. Let Sopoaga walk. Trade Alex. There are a number of other players who could simply not be re-signed to bring in the new guys. There you have it: upgrade DL and secondary and watch our D rise to the top again.
Share 49ersWebzone