LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 240 users in the forums

What is your biggest priority for improving the 2013 roster?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Joecool:
I wonder how much better or worse our defense would be if we blitzed more?

Not sure, I know Fangio's afraid of getting beat deep, maybe if they added a true FS type player and improved at CB he'd blitz more often.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Crabtree is a #1 WR in the NFL, not sure how anyone can doubt that anymore after this season. Now if you're arguing that the 49ers need a Victor Cruz type guy in the slot, that's fine, but dissing Crabtree because he's not Calvin Johnson, the most dominant wide receiver in the NFL, is asinine.

I sort of subscribe to the notion that, in our offense, there is no #1 WR. Instead, the #1 is whoever number is called for THAT designed pass play...and it still may end up gong to the #2 or #3 option via progressions. And since we didn't have Williams, Manningham or Jenkins, well, Crabtree was the #1 option the majority of te 2nd half of the year until CK/Roman remembered we had the best TE in the game who thrives in the playoffs and big games.

That said, Crabtree is not a deep threat (Jones), can sometimes be out-muscled at the LOS (Fitz) and certainly isn't a threat IN the EZ (Boldin). But give Crabtree any amount of space and he's one of THE best RAC WR's in the game. Crabtree has worked hard this offseason and has beefed up a lot. He can take those big hits over the middle now. He's grown into a man.

NOW, we need to not only compliment him but USE the other weapons around him and put him in the best place to succeed - out in space. This year we used VD, Manningham and Moss to clear out space for him. But for next year, we need to make anyone-else-not-named-VD a true threat that teams need to account for. The Raven's were able to key in on Crabtree on the final 3 pass plays b/c on film, we have shown ZERO ability to even look to VD, Walker or even Moss in the EZ and 95% of the TD's were as a result of a WR utilizing RAC to get into the EZ...versus a viable target that can run routes in it and make those catches (ala Boldin and Pitta and a 100 others against us this year).
Originally posted by NCommand:
I sort of subscribe to the notion that, in our offense, there is no #1 WR. Instead, the #1 is whoever number is called for THAT designed pass play...and it still may end up gong to the #2 or #3 option via progressions. And since we didn't have Williams, Manningham or Jenkins, well, Crabtree was the #1 option the majority of te 2nd half of the year until CK/Roman remembered we had the best TE in the game who thrives in the playoffs and big games.

That said, Crabtree is not a deep threat (Jones), can sometimes be out-muscled at the LOS (Fitz) and certainly isn't a threat IN the EZ (Boldin). But give Crabtree any amount of space and he's one of THE best RAC WR's in the game. Crabtree has worked hard this offseason and has beefed up a lot. He can take those big hits over the middle now. He's grown into a man.

NOW, we need to not only compliment him but USE the other weapons around him and put him in the best place to succeed - out in space. This year we used VD, Manningham and Moss to clear out space for him. But for next year, we need to make anyone-else-not-named-VD a true threat that teams need to account for. The Raven's were able to key in on Crabtree on the final 3 pass plays b/c on film, we have shown ZERO ability to even look to VD, Walker or even Moss in the EZ and 95% of the TD's were as a result of a WR utilizing RAC to get into the EZ...versus a viable target that can run routes in it and make those catches (ala Boldin and Pitta and a 100 others against us this year).

I abolutely agree, he's a great weapon, as is VD, they need to build the passing offense around those two guys, add pieces to complement what both of them do. In the draft I like Quinton Patton of Louisiana Tech considerably, he's got top WR potential, has been compared to Reggie Wayne, I think he has the tools to be even better than that, he's also a monster after the catch, has terrific quickness and extremely reliable hands, the ideal guy opposite Crabtree. In the slot I think you have to give AJ Jenkins a chance, let him compete with Kyle Williams and possibly a later round draft pick or undrafted free agent, someone with speed, their whole role is to stretch the defense and create matchup problems.

I'd also like to see an upgrade at TE to replace Delanie Walker, a bigger, more traditional type of TE that can expose holes in a defense, a big physical target that is a major threat in the redzone.

I also think that Crabtree can be a terrific threat in the endzone, but Kaepernick really struggles finding the touch in that area of the field, they need to work together a lot more often because Crabtree's been able to get quick separation in the endzone a lot but the passes just haven't gotten where they needed to be.
Originally posted by crabman82:

i saw a stat around after the 10 or 12 game mark that mike sando tweeted saying that the pressure we got on the qb when we blitzed 5 or more was pretty pathetic and rather low ranking amongst the other teams. we actually had more success in terms of sacks when we brought just 4.

Yeah but we never really ran any creative blitzes like BAL does either.

Maybe the weakness is Fangio. I mean, there are no other players in the league on defense who have played anywhere near the number of minutes our defensive players have played. That is coaching fail. A good defense doesn't deteriorate because one DT isn't 100%.
[ Edited by Joecool on Feb 6, 2013 at 11:59 AM ]
We might have replace Soap, depends on how the negotiation and FA turned out. I would think that is one of the priority with Baalke. And maybe a safety and perhaps Justin Smith replacement.
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
VandenBosch just got released! 14.5 sacks last season, played every game! 2 year deal, 1.75 mil each year + incentives, a bargain! Jump on this!

Um, he had 3 sacks last season, he'll also be turning 35 during the middle of next season...pass.

Maybe the weakness is Fangio. I mean, there are no other players in the league on defense who have played anywhere near the number of minutes our defensive players have played. That is coaching fail. A good defense doesn't deteriorate because one DT isn't 100%.

It's the way this defense is setup. In a 3-4, the NT is supposed to take up multiple blockers to free up the linebackers. In this defense, the NT takes up one blocker and you have a spectacular defensive end that requires multiple blockers, opening things up for others. If you're going to play a 3 man front, someone on that line HAS to take up more than one blocker, otherwise it doesn't work and you're better of going to a 4-3 alignment at that point.

The 49ers need to find an NT that will be a handful for defenses to block, combine that with a healthy Justin Smith and you have a truly monstrous DL. Forgetting sacred cows, this team should continually be looking to upgrade DL and find players better than what they already have.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
We might have replace Soap, depends on how the negotiation and FA turned out. I would think that is one of the priority with Baalke. And maybe a safety and perhaps Justin Smith replacement.

I would hope they replace Soap, at least as a starter, bring him back as a backup DE/NT, but his performance this season did not reflect what a 3-4 defense should be getting from its nose tackle, which is essentially the most crucial spot in a 3-4 alignment.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by qnnhan7:

I would hope they replace Soap, at least as a starter, bring him back as a backup DE/NT, but his performance this season did not reflect what a 3-4 defense should be getting from its nose tackle, which is essentially the most crucial spot in a 3-4 alignment.

I thought Soap did ok this year. The front line wasn't as stout against the run this year as last, but I don't remember a lot of runs up the middle either...
  • thl408
How about DT Richard Seymour? He could be a bargain signing and want to go across the bay for another chance at the big show. Niners need to take advantage of attracting vets that want a chance to win. 1 or 2 year deals on the semi-cheap.

we need a lockdown corner,and more quality depth on the dl.imo

Not really. Besides Larry Grant and RJF we don't exactly have much quality depth behind our defensive starters.
[ Edited by SFrush on Feb 6, 2013 at 12:44 PM ]

i saw a stat around after the 10 or 12 game mark that mike sando tweeted saying that the pressure we got on the qb when we blitzed 5 or more was pretty pathetic and rather low ranking amongst the other teams. we actually had more success in terms of sacks when we brought just 4.
I think that's due to a lack or creative blitzes. Every time we blitz it's a simple a gap blitz with Willis or Bowman. And when they do blitz they just run right into the pass blocker They don't have any moves or pass rush skills, and get stonewalled. They need to blitz them both or put Aldon and Brooks in teh middle for a play and let them blitz. Barely seen any safety blitzes this year either.
Originally posted by lamontb:

I think that's due to a lack or creative blitzes. Every time we blitz it's a simple a gap blitz with Willis or Bowman. And when they do blitz they just run right into the pass blocker They don't have any moves or pass rush skills, and get stonewalled. They need to blitz them both or put Aldon and Brooks in teh middle for a play and let them blitz. Barely seen any safety blitzes this year either.

something that needs to be discussed is fangio. when we hired him it was pointed out how his D's get worse statistically every season he has been there. we didnt slip per say in year long rankings, but you could see the fall after the NE game. something to monitor going forward.
Originally posted by lamontb:

something that needs to be discussed is fangio. when we hired him it was pointed out how his D's get worse statistically every season he has been there. we didnt slip per say in year long rankings, but you could see the fall after the NE game. something to monitor going forward.

Agreed, scheme an coaching and not fully utilizing our 4 LB's in the best manner.
Share 49ersWebzone