LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 328 users in the forums

Ravens & the Blitz

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Prospector:
It's going to be a slugfest no doubt but Kaep's feet give us excellent options against the all-out blitz. I'm more worried about Flacco going deep on us, early and often. His success has been the deep ball and that's not been a strong point in our defense. We got to get pressure and don't let him drop back and go bombs away.

Spotted on Ravens' message board:

I saw this the other day and it gave me a good chuckle. Whoever you are, mystery couch 49er fan, do what you do!!
Originally posted by Team49ers:
Some of those sacks were because Alex didn't know where to go with the ball, tucked the ball and took the sack. 49ERS need to be very alert on 3rd down, that is where the Ravens LOVE to bring extra rushers. Ravens will bring 5-7 defenders to rush the QB, they will sometimes load up on one side of the line.

Watching the Ravens games on NFL game rewind, throughout the whole regular season and in the playoffs, Ravens would time and time again dial up blitzes usually during 3rd downs. Suggs often times tries to get to the QB by running around him and takes himself out of the play sometimes. Ngata is a better run stopper than pass rusher, from time to time he will try a swim move to get to the QB. Kruger is mister coverage sack. With Kaepernick's mobility he can avoid Suggs run around the guard approach.

If the Ravens try and dial up the pressure on third down and Kaepernick escapes it, he's got a lot of space to run. Either that or Kaepernick can hit a hot read like he did with Crabtree, Crabtree's ability to juke out defenders he can run one in for a TD like he did against New england when they tried blitzing.

Agreed esp with this. Well said.
If we go pistol formation with Bruce Miller in, aren't we set up better to pick up blitzers? You have a RB and a FB there to pick up extra rushers and give Kap a little extra time to get the ball out or take off with it. So if they bring 7 we have 7 there to block leaving them with 4 guys to cover 3 and I think we can win those battles on the outside enough to make plays happen. Just my thought on it but I'm not a great X's and O's guy.
If they rush hard then it is a perfect time for a screen to Miller, David, or Gore.
Originally posted by Team49ers:
Some of those sacks were because Alex didn't know where to go with the ball, tucked the ball and took the sack. 49ERS need to be very alert on 3rd down, that is where the Ravens LOVE to bring extra rushers. Ravens will bring 5-7 defenders to rush the QB, they will sometimes load up on one side of the line.

Watching the Ravens games on NFL game rewind, throughout the whole regular season and in the playoffs, Ravens would time and time again dial up blitzes usually during 3rd downs. Suggs often times tries to get to the QB by running around him and takes himself out of the play sometimes. Ngata is a better run stopper than pass rusher, from time to time he will try a swim move to get to the QB. Kruger is mister coverage sack. With Kaepernick's mobility he can avoid Suggs run around the guard approach.

If the Ravens try and dial up the pressure on third down and Kaepernick escapes it, he's got a lot of space to run. Either that or Kaepernick can hit a hot read like he did with Crabtree, Crabtree's ability to juke out defenders he can run one in for a TD like he did against New england when they tried blitzing.

I can't stress it enough. The biggest difference vs the blitz this time is our QB. Kap has a different mentality than does Alex. Alex would stand there trying to see if the receiver gets open because of his lack of anticipation in trusting his throw and the receiver to throw the receiver open. This affected his escapability. Kap will not hesitate. If he sees a blitzer, he will immediately take off with it. He will also anticipate the route plus his arm strength alone makes up for it.

It's just a different mentality between Alex and Kap altogether. Alex also stared at a WIDE open Vernon 10 yards from him looking back at him up the seam and decided not to throw the ball. Why? Because Ed read was 20 yards away. These are things I will NEVER miss about Alex.

It is a totally different dynamic at the QB position right now in terms of how the QB handles blitzes or top defenses.

I only hope that we don't come out flat and that the ball bounces our way if it does bounce.
Originally posted by Joecool:
I can't stress it enough. The biggest difference vs the blitz this time is our QB. Kap has a different mentality than does Alex. Alex would stand there trying to see if the receiver gets open because of his lack of anticipation in trusting his throw and the receiver to throw the receiver open. This affected his escapability. Kap will not hesitate. If he sees a blitzer, he will immediately take off with it. He will also anticipate the route plus his arm strength alone makes up for it.

It's just a different mentality between Alex and Kap altogether. Alex also stared at a WIDE open Vernon 10 yards from him looking back at him up the seam and decided not to throw the ball. Why? Because Ed read was 20 yards away. These are things I will NEVER miss about Alex.

It is a totally different dynamic at the QB position right now in terms of how the QB handles blitzes or top defenses.

I only hope that we don't come out flat and that the ball bounces our way if it does bounce.

Couldn't of said it better myself.
"WE" had all the things working against us (Travel, Cold, Road & short rest)... Still I remember a horsebleep call on a 70 yard TD to Ginn & Braylon Edwards giving up on a pass into the endzone which got picked... Which led to us being behind only 3pts late... I have a good feeling here! They have been on a bit of a magic run but it ends with us. Not to mention I think our D has one GREAT game left in the chamber!!!! Go 9ers!!!
Originally posted by Prospector:
It's going to be a slugfest no doubt but Kaep's feet give us excellent options against the all-out blitz. I'm more worried about Flacco going deep on us, early and often. His success has been the deep ball and that's not been a strong point in our defense. We got to get pressure and don't let him drop back and go bombs away.

Spotted on Ravens' message board:

I saw this somewhere too. Very funny stuff.
Share 49ersWebzone