LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 273 users in the forums

Welcome Raven Fans: A gentleman/woman's thread...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by TX9R:
One thing that gives me pause, Kaep has had limited success against good defenses. He simply hasn't seen many. ravens aren't what they were but they have woken up in the playoffs and any team that holds Brady to 13 points is a worry. Also legit running games have given us problems, which the Ravens have when they decide they want to. Not feeling as confident as IO was sunday night after looking at these things.

the bears D isnt good? The cards D is pretty solid as well. I read their secondary had some crazy stats
Originally posted by blm7754:
You should be. I've always liked the Ravens, and Ray Lewis used to be one of my favorite players. But now I think he's just lost his mind. He's just coming across as an attention addict that is secretly in love with Tebow. And it reflects badly on the entire team.

Ravens would be better off without the Ray Lewis distraction.

I'll reiterate that Ravens aren't one of the teams I hate. Yet. Because Ray Lewis is pushing me that way. His act--and it is an ACT--is beyond nauseating. The whole "God wants us to win" meme and his stupid "dance" were bad enough, but then to see his dumb a**, contrived, fake-bawling during Natl Anthem last week just took it to a new level of deranged narcissism. Good grief, just think what this C-rate actor has planned for the cameras during the Anthem at the SB.
Ray's act may be over the top on the way out...but you can't argue with the results. They were going nowhere before the miracle return, and retirement announcement. He lit the fire, I can't really fault him for fanning those flames for all he is worth. Is it wearing thin? Sure, but I get it and don't really think it is a big deal beyond this last game.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DelCed2486:
I'll reiterate that Ravens aren't one of the teams I hate. Yet. Because Ray Lewis is pushing me that way. His act--and it is an ACT--is beyond nauseating. The whole "God wants us to win" meme and his stupid "dance" were bad enough, but then to see his dumb a**, contrived, fake-bawling during Natl Anthem last week just took it to a new level of deranged narcissism. Good grief, just think what this C-rate actor has planned for the cameras during the Anthem at the SB.

Ray Lewis has always been a very emotional player and I'm not going to judge if his emotions are fake or real in his last game of his career. I don't know how one can assume either way - nor does it really matter as far as the Niners are concerned.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by AmpLee:
Watching last weeks game, I realized that a QB who was a running threat was more than just a bonus, especially from a formation like the Pistol. The defense was forced to hold edges instead of collapsing on the pocket. This opened up lanes for Gore and LaMike as well as less pressure on Kaep on pocket throws. So while it's certainly not necessary, it does force defenses to play on their heals which makes things easier for everyone. So I guess it's still just a bonus, however, it's more than what's on the surface.

Yeup...and that has always been a case. The RBs playing behind a mobile QB almost always gain more yards on the ground than they will under a pocket passer. The ends can't collapse the pocket and have leave their gap responsibilities to the outside to contain the QB.
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
Watching last weeks game, I realized that a QB who was a running threat was more than just a bonus, especially from a formation like the Pistol. The defense was forced to hold edges instead of collapsing on the pocket. This opened up lanes for Gore and LaMike as well as less pressure on Kaep on pocket throws. So while it's certainly not necessary, it does force defenses to play on their heals which makes things easier for everyone. So I guess it's still just a bonus, however, it's more than what's on the surface.

Yeup...and that has always been a case. The RBs playing behind a mobile QB almost always gain more yards on the ground than they will under a pocket passer. The ends can't collapse the pocket and have leave their gap responsibilities to the outside to contain the QB.
I hope the game plan at the SB involves Kaep running more often to keep the Raven's D on their toes. After watching the Atlanta game again it seems he had open room on more than a few plays where he decided to hand it off.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by i82much:
I guess it just kind of hit me that we're looking at a couple of big-arm, small-school quarterbacks. What do you guys think, is Kaep the future of the NFL QB or will traditional pocket passers like Flacco continue to be viable?

There just aren't enough great athletes at the QB position who can throw as well as Cam, RGIII, Wilson, or Kaep. Yes, we got 4 in two years, but it was an aberration than a trend in my opinion. Plus, we've already seen RGIII (who can be a bit reckless when running) get injured multiple times during the season. So, not only you've to be a great runner, a pretty good passer, but you have to have the instincts to know when to slide. If you can't figure that out - it will be very tough to stay healthy and eventually team will have to move on.

I do believe that we will see some teams try to find these kind of QBs over the next couple years and will end up with players like Joe Webb.
Originally posted by leebert81:

I hope the game plan at the SB involves Kaep running more often to keep the Raven's D on their toes. After watching the Atlanta game again it seems he had open room on more than a few plays where he decided to hand it off.

I have a feeling we will do more of what we haven't done yet: designed bootlegs with a Backside WR coming across deep and a front side TE running an out. Throw a huge wrench in their defensive preparation.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran

I saw that too...and I also noticed on couple of passing plays - he had opportunity to run and pick up the first down with his legs but decided to throw the ball.

But, I also believe...sometimes the play is to set-up Kaep's run. There were times during the game - you felt that Kaep's big run is coming anytime now - and I bet that's what Nolan felt as well. If we can do that once again on offense - we can gash the Ravens D inside.

Let's remember - Ravens have an average run defense. They haven't played a good rushing team in the playoffs. Colts, Broncos, and Patriots don't have (and don't want to) impose their will on the ground.

I really hope even if they stop us from running early, we keep at it. They can't stop our running game if we stay with it.
[ Edited by 49ersMyLife on Jan 23, 2013 at 1:22 PM ]

I saw that too...and I also noticed on couple of passing plays - he had opportunity to run and pick up the first down with his legs but decided to throw the ball.

But, I also believe that they sometimes the play is to set-up Kaep's run. There were times during the game - you felt that Kaep's big run is coming anytime now - and I bet that's what Nolan felt as well. If we can do that once again on offense - we can gash the Ravens D inside.

Let's remember - Ravens have an average run defense. They haven't played a good rushing team in the playoffs. Colts, Broncos, and Patriots don't have (and don't want to) impose their will on the ground.

I really hope even if they stop us from running early, we keep at it. They can't stop our running game if we stay with it.

I think most of those read-option plays are not actually an option at all. They are called run-plays. It may be a true read option once we get passed the 40 and into scoring territory because Kaep can take it 30 or so yards into the endzone and so can Gore/LMJ.

It is a very high risk to be doing that when we are not in scoring position because that means Kaep has a VERY high chance of getting tackled at the end of the play which is never a good thing. In scoring position, he's most likely coasting into the endzone standing up and even if he doesn't, you are still highly decreasing the hits he may take.

• pd24
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Joecool:

I have a feeling we will do more of what we haven't done yet: designed bootlegs with a Backside WR coming across deep and a front side TE running an out. Throw a huge wrench in their defensive preparation.

I hope so, I know the Ravens didn't think Brady would be a threat to run so they left alot of room for him to run but not alot of space for him to get the ball downfield. They will have to bring some help for Kaep and he can take advantage of it with his arm, if he has the room Brady did, he will get 100 yards or over.

Yes, like Young did when we finally beat Dallas in the championship game. I hope you are correct Sir!

Yes, like Young did when we finally beat Dallas in the championship game. I hope you are correct Sir!

I want to see us bust out some plays from the 95 superbowl. LMJ reception down the seam. Vernon front side Corner with Randy on a backside post and the TD!!
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
I think most of those read-option plays are not actually an option at all. They are called run-plays. It may be a true read option once we get passed the 40 and into scoring territory because Kaep can take it 30 or so yards into the endzone and so can Gore/LMJ.

It is a very high risk to be doing that when we are not in scoring position because that means Kaep has a VERY high chance of getting tackled at the end of the play which is never a good thing. In scoring position, he's most likely coasting into the endzone standing up and even if he doesn't, you are still highly decreasing the hits he may take.

I agree, but I don't think it's because we've not passed the 40 or whatever. I think some of them are called run-plays to set up the Kaep's read option run later. That's why it works so great because they keep handing it to Gore/James over and over - even when sometimes ends do collapse. The idea is to hit them for a big play when they least expect it.

I bet Kaep would love to take it to the house from his 30 if he thought the ends are biting inside consistently. Kaep (and Roman) will call his number if they felt they can get a 1st down with read-option run as well.
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by Crow-Magnon:
Originally posted by nevadalove9ers2:
Welcome...the 49ers don't lose superbowls! 5-0

This must be a nice time for you guys. To bad you have to run into us!

I know why you feel that way, but seriously, this Niners team is not the Montana-Young-Rice-Lott teams of the 80's and early 90's. Not to say that San Francisco cannot win this SB, as they most certainly can. But it is nowhere near a given.
you know so many fans , especially in ninerland , are so love struck with the arm of ck because its something they have not seen for a long time. i am sure ravens fans are also in love with the arm of joe cuz it gives them another dimension however i feel this game will still boil down to the defense and the running game for each team. both of these teams run it well, both are physical, both tackle so very well. if both quarterbacks go out there and light it up fine,, but i think this will be a old school school yard king of the mountain game which would make vince lombardi very very proud

I don't know cciowa. We left quite a few plays on the field in our first matchup vs BAL...or Alex did. There is a different aura about our offense now. We are averaging 36.5 or so ppg in the playoffs (leading all playoff teams). THIS all while not losing our run-pass balance. We are also averaging a playoff leading 7.6 yards per play.

Now I understand we haven't exactly played the best defenses but we have played the best offenses on the other end and have out dueled both. BAL has quite a few holes on defense and "emotion" can only go so far.

Also, BAL has a +5 turnover ratio in the playoffs yet they only have a 30:15 TOP. We have 32:59 TOP and are +2 in the turnover margin.

The key to winning this game is to NOT turn the ball over to BAL. They have lived off that in these playoffs.

i believe the reason we "out duel" those offenses is because of our defense being so great, not whoever our QB is having good numbers. its easy to put up better numbers and win when our #1 D(dont care what anyone says) is keeping the other teams down. kaep didnt beat or out duel matt ryan, he beat the falcons defense, matt ryan didnt lose to kaep, he lost to the niners defense. same goes for every other great QB we have beaten this year. just my 1 cent

this game is the 2 best Ds in the league imo. flacco didnt tear up the niners d last year, but the ravens D stymied our offense. with kaep at the helm able to run like he does, i dont think the ravens speed can match his running ability and contain him. i believe that is what gives us the advantage, not including the emergence of crabs to go with moss VD and the inconvient truth if those aspects were nullified.
Share 49ersWebzone