LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 250 users in the forums

49ers Offense -- The Pistol portion -- Explained by Chris Ault on NFLN

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Joecool:
Isn't this awesome, we run an offense that was specifically engineered for Kaepernick. We are not trying to put a QB who has similar skills into the system. Kaep literally has this system mastered. He doesn't just operated the system well, he IS the system.

What some don't understand is how difficult it is to make the smart read on that end or 2nd level LB and pull that ball or hand it off. A split second is the difference between scoring a 50+ yard TD or only gaining 5 yards.

Indeed kaep is the master of the pistol offense, but no it was not created or engineered for him. Couch Ault "invented" (renamed) the pistol in 2004 and implemented it on the team in the 2005 season. kaep was a redshirt in 06, a year after the offense was installed on the team. He wasnt even the first qb to run the offense but i cant remember the dudes name, he was no where near as effective as kaep was.

people have been asking if there will be valuable qbs to run this type of system in the future or if there will be a pool to draw from....well just keep your eyes here in reno boys! Cody Fajardo is the starter we have here now and he is not that bad himself, maybe even better than kaep imo but we will see in the next couple of years.
All the "experts" are still saying that you can't run the pistol forever because you're qb will take a beating. Surely they know that the pistol does not equal the read/option? So, are they ignorant, or just spewing bs they know isnt true?
And it's funny, I guarantee QBs take more hits while they're throwing than they do while running. If they're smart and use the sidelines or know when to slide, they're less likely to take hits while running.
Originally posted by notsoempty86:
All the "experts" are still saying that you can't run the pistol forever because you're qb will take a beating. Surely they know that the pistol does not equal the read/option? So, are they ignorant, or just spewing bs they know isnt true?

Originally posted by Whomeam:
And it's funny, I guarantee QBs take more hits while they're throwing than they do while running. If they're smart and use the sidelines or know when to slide, they're less likely to take hits while running.

Here's a good tidbit on this topic

• thl408
Originally posted by kodiak9er:
Indeed kaep is the master of the pistol offense, but no it was not created or engineered for him. Couch Ault "invented" (renamed) the pistol in 2004 and implemented it on the team in the 2005 season. kaep was a redshirt in 06, a year after the offense was installed on the team. He wasnt even the first qb to run the offense but i cant remember the dudes name, he was no where near as effective as kaep was.

people have been asking if there will be valuable qbs to run this type of system in the future or if there will be a pool to draw from....well just keep your eyes here in reno boys! Cody Fajardo is the starter we have here now and he is not that bad himself, maybe even better than kaep imo but we will see in the next couple of years.

That is unpossibull
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by WildBill:
If they put in the dime package, just run them over. when they get flatlined, they will be so worn from getting beat up that VD or Crab will be even more open.

This. Gotta have good coaching and a smart quarterback and you can really hammer teams. The only thing this offense is lacking is a legit #2 WR opposite Crabtree, get a guy with good quickness that can cause matchup problems and they'll be straight cramming the ball down the opposing teams throat.
A #2 WR! Hallelujah!
It will be interesting to see how Baltimore defenses the read-option. Mangini and others who've said that the DE should immediately crash the RB or QB seem to forget the third player in the backfield. The Niners scored twice against Atlanta with the third player doing little but running an arc around the DE, holding the DB with the threat of being a receiver. On the NFL website, Colin Kaepernick, San Francisco 49ers maximizing Pistol offense, Bucky Brooks displays three different Pistol setups the Niners use that vary the third player's position: double wing ("ace"), and weak ("far"), and strong (near).
  • The third player can defend Kaep with a full block or chip
  • Kaep can follow the RB after the fake, while the RB becomes a lead blocker
  • The RB can sweep outside the DB (as LMJ did at least once in the playoffs with success)
  • After the play-action, Kaep can roll out and throw to the RB or the third player
  • Kaep can step back and throw a slant to either side
  • If the defense crashes to one side, Kaep can bootleg to the other side and pass or run
X's & O's!!!

All-22 with Matt Bowen

Quote: This Pistol offense is new to me. I didn't see as a player back in the Big Ten or during my time in the NFL. However, I learn something every time I turn on the tape. With Kaepernick, the Read Option is always a threat. I get it. But after watching tape today, I'm more focused on the blocking angles and the path of the RB the Pistol offense creates. That's tough to defend.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/All22-A-closer-look-at-49ers-Pistol-offense.html

Share 49ersWebzone