There are 192 users in the forums

Is our offence gonna be remembered?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Ok so we haven't won the Superbowl yet and there are no guarantees but this offense just reminds of the Bears Defense in 85.

New system in NFL, no-one knows how to play it yet, every time you stop the offense doing one thing in pops another threat that'll score on you this way. Whether its Kap, Gore, Vernon, Crabtree, Walker, Moss, Lamike. Any of these guys can make a big play. Then you have O-line that are playing out of the skins too. This offense has taken a rookie quarterback and he's outscored Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers and Matt Ryan, 3 of the best QB's in the NFL.

So what I'm saying is are other teams gonna be talking about this Offense in 25 years if we win? Is this something we should greatly appreciate now and realise what we are witnessing? Or am I just letting the excitement get to me.
Uh huh
yes
Definitely not remembered as one of the best all time like the 85 Bears are, but the success they're having running the pistol and read option will likely be remembered as a catalyst which leads to teams scouting quarterbacks totally differently, placing mobility a lot higher to run this kind of scheme in their offense.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
First this isn't the 1985 Bears of the offensive side of the ball. The 46 defense was created by Buddy Ryan and Ryan coached teams were the only ones to run it. The Pistol has been used for years in the college ranks and now at lest 9 NFL teams have used some aspect of it . IF we win the Superbowl we will be the first of the "pistol" teams to win and that will be something that will be remembered.
  • thl408
It definitely has the potential to. An offense that features a multi-dimensional QB and a powerful offensive line. It will need to show sustained success over a number of years to be considered revolutionary.
Was the West Coast Offense remembered?

We have witnessed the birth of the Pistol
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by FGore2121:

Pistol has been around for years.
IF we win, this SB will be remembered as the Kaepernick Super Bowl. I actually think the defense will be what is ignored.

Ultimately Kaep is going to determine who wins this game. If he can keep the Ravens D on the field all day, I think he can tire the old guys out.
Originally posted by Jcool:

but not executed like the 49ers hae executed it. No team has brought it into the Super Bowl

West Coast offense was around for years too but Bill Walsh made it what it is

• Garce
  • Veteran
offense.
If we win the SB, the other teams will copycat our read option offense with their own duel threat qb. Problem is they will most likely need a qb like Kaep and a RB like Gore/Hunter/LaMichael. You would also need a good back up qb and ready to change the offense once the backup comes in for injury. Because chances are you won't have 2 duel threat qb on the roster.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Jan 21, 2013 at 1:31 PM ]
No. I dont see it being remembered like the 85 Bears 46 defense. Buddy Ryan created that himself and the Bears were SO dominant with it. The Niners didnt start the read offense until Kap became a starter and it was after RG3 and Alfred Morris were having great success with it.

I do agree that it will open the NFL to more running QBs that can throw well but I just dont see the Niners use of it being revolutionary.
We set a whole lot of records this year though. Against the Bills the 300/300 game and then against the packers in the playoffs.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Jcool:

but not executed like the 49ers hae executed it. No team has brought it into the Super Bowl

West Coast offense was around for years too but Bill Walsh made it what it is

Seattle executed it pretty well... So did Washington. Also Walsh created the West Coast offense.
Share 49ersWebzone