LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 236 users in the forums

Akers : any other options for the superbowl ?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Neil Rackers is still out there. He's been very accurate the past 4 seasons. Out of the league this year though.
Akers beat the falcons! Yup, we scored 4 TDs, equal to 24 pts, and Akers kicked 4 PATs, the difference between winning and losing....ok, a tie. But no matter how you slice it, Akers DID beat the Falcons. Good on him.Hope he beats the Ravens, too.

My original thot posted several weeks ago was that Coach H has to recalibrate his coaching if we are near the 40 yd line, and are at 4th and 4. Instead of bringing out Akers, Coach now has to go for it, and same applies all the way in to the 15 yd line. We are all pretty sure Akers makes them consistently from there. It is just a matter of changing your mindset on what to do with 4th and 3 inside the 40...and that simply is to go for it on every 4th down until we get into Akers range...yup, that is the same guy who beat ATL with his 4 PATs.
Originally posted by Five4Five:
Bring back Cundiff.

Nobody is worse than Akers right now. Nobody.

NOOOOOBOOODYYYY
Interesting article on the front page right now about Akers. Ray Wersching and Doug Brien talk about how Akers looks like his mechanics are almost there.

Im just hoping that this game doesnt come down to a FG. This is really where Harbaugh's decision to switch to Kaep pays off. Alex Smith leading the offense is fine, but often resulted in tons of FG attempts. Akers proved that last year by setting a record. Kaep has been able to drive the ball down and score on a regular basis, so while Akers keeps missing the 1 or 2 chances he gets, we have scored enough pts to make it a non factor.

I cant believe weve basically been running out a kicker who cant hit anything past 35 yds for weeks and weeks now, and it still hasnt bit us. Please, please let us make it through one more game....

lol watch Akers nail a 52 yarder to win the whole dang thing.
  • Silky
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Niners99:
Interesting article on the front page right now about Akers. Ray Wersching and Doug Brien talk about how Akers looks like his mechanics are almost there.

Im just hoping that this game doesnt come down to a FG. This is really where Harbaugh's decision to switch to Kaep pays off. Alex Smith leading the offense is fine, but often resulted in tons of FG attempts. Akers proved that last year by setting a record. Kaep has been able to drive the ball down and score on a regular basis, so while Akers keeps missing the 1 or 2 chances he gets, we have scored enough pts to make it a non factor.

I cant believe weve basically been running out a kicker who cant hit anything past 35 yds for weeks and weeks now, and it still hasnt bit us. Please, please let us make it through one more game....

lol watch Akers nail a 52 yarder to win the whole dang thing.

That would be ultimate redemption for this entire season. I'm afraid he would still get cut though in the offseason. There is nothing he can do right now to get around that
you guys are all nuts....glad the players and coaching staff stand behind akers. he's one of the greatest kickers in nfl history it'd be stupid to bail on him.
I dont know if you noticed during the CG. He hit the ball very hard and straight during the extrapoint try
Generally he just hits the ball smooth.
Maybe it's to prevent the ball from being blocked or maybe it's his way to deal wi the recent misses and a loss of confidence.
On the FG try he did kick the same way, hard and straight, but it was on the left mark so the ball goes straight forward .... and hits the upright !
I think as long as he tries from the middle of the field he has a chance to make it. If the ball is on the left or right mark, forget it Jim he will miss it
I really thinks that's the key going to the SB game : FG try if the ball is placed in the middle if not punt or go for it on fourth down
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by iLL49er:
you guys are all nuts....glad the players and coaching staff stand behind akers. he's one of the greatest kickers in nfl history it'd be stupid to bail on him.

i guess it is my odd dna. when i player f**ks up like kyle did i will give them a long leash(lawrence phillips , kwayme harris and chilo rachael are exceptions) but for whatever reason, when a kicker costs us a couple games, i just go ape s**t and want them gone. not sure why i am like that. i guess it goes back to my childhood when i thought my gumby doll was made out of gum and i bit his head off
99, I have had the same thots. Just get thru the season without HAVING to HAVE that 3 pts. My opinion to date has been that it has been good for us to have to go for it when a long field goal was possible. As mentioned, Coach just has to adjust to fact that on 40 or inside it, we have to go for it on 4th down, until we get it into range where akers is comfortable, and right now he is comfortable with PATs. So i guess we are talking it has to be on 15, maybe 10 yd line to be assured kick will go in. It is a great incentive to the O to get that 4 or 5 yds on 4th down inside the 40.
Originally posted by zillabeast:
Andy Lee.

This.

Originally posted by BubbaParisMVP:
Going for it.

Originally posted by TheSixthRing:
Andy Lee.

This.

Who would hold?
Originally posted by stillpans4gold:
Going for it.

Andy Lee.

This.

Who would hold?

drop kick FTW
he will retire after this year
Seriously though, I agree with the fact that Harbs is going to have to adjust his strategy and go for it in certain situations, the way our team has been playing on 3rd and 4th downs and in the red zone lately actually makes me stoked!

Look at it this way, it could turn out that this game comes down to a field goal.........

..... OR, throughtout the game we're in a situation where the book says to kick, but we don't.

Math says to go for it anyway: And we get 7 instead of 3! By the end of the game those 3s that ended up being 7 give us a lead where the kick to win isn't needed! Akers in a genius. He's been planning this all along!
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
Originally posted by stillpans4gold:
Going for it.

Andy Lee.

This.

Who would hold?

drop kick FTW

That's right! forgot you can do that!
Share 49ersWebzone