LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 226 users in the forums

Where is the pass rush

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Aldon Justin Ahmad ray please put some pressure please!!!!!!!!
  • Buchy
  • Veteran
We need to up this for next week, we let Ryan sit back and pick passes with far too good a WR corps for us to stop everything. We should have blitzed 5 or 6 early in the game and scared the s**t out of him.

He's not deserving of the Matty Ice nickname, he can be rattled easily when he's hit.
You can thank Fangio for that.

I think he is still stuck on 2011 when the front 4 were unstoppable, but they've lost a step and sustained injuries. Time to start dialing a few designed blitzes up.
Guys, there's already a thread for this discussion!! See "How Effective was the 49er game plan against Atlanta" Thread. Please share your thoughts!

Are the niners the worst in sacks in the NFL since November? Does anyone have the stats for that?

I think the total lack of pressure almost cost us the game today. And in fact has really put is in a hole for most of the last 5 games.

The performance against atlanta was not a blip in the trend.

It is the trend.
Member Milestone: This is post number 2,100 for pwillis52beasty.
Ok so seriously where is the pass rush?? What's up with Aldon? I'm not seeing the dominant pass rusher. We'd better get the pass rush going and in a hurry if we want to win the Superbowl this year. It was disgusting seeing Matt Ryan carve us up like that and have all day to throw the damn ball. Needs to be addressed fast!!
Fangio left the pass rush in the playbook last night..
Originally posted by zillabeast:

I think he is still stuck on 2011 when the front 4 were unstoppable, but they've lost a step and sustained injuries. Time to start dialing a few designed blitzes up.

Nobody has lost a step.

2011- 42 sacks
2012- 38 sacks
2013- 37 sacks going into this week, even with Aldon missing significant time.

Even Justin Smith has 6.5 sacks, compared to 7.5 in 2011, despite being the oldest of the group.

The issue last night was the same issue that always occurs when we get a lead. Fangio plays conservative and drops 7 or 8 into soft zones every single play.
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
Ok so seriously where is the pass rush?? What's up with Aldon? I'm not seeing the dominant pass rusher. We'd better get the pass rush going and in a hurry if we want to win the Superbowl this year. It was disgusting seeing Matt Ryan carve us up like that and have all day to throw the damn ball. Needs to be addressed fast!!

Seriously? Aldon had 2 sacks against Tampa Bay just last week and has been getting a ton of pressure every week. He looks like the same monster he's always been.

Again, Matt Ryan carved us up because we were playing soft zones and dropping 7 or 8 into coverage the majority of the game.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Matt Ryan was getting hit but he was in the no huddle in the 2nd half which we struggle against and he was making very quick passes.
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Okay normally I don't blame a game on officiating but last nights game was especially bad. What happened to the pass-rush? Extreme holding upfront. Don't believe me? Replay the tape and look at the DL vs Atlanta's OL.

Falcon receivers and Tight ends played nudge the pass rushers all night too as Gruden was alluding too all game. That extra half second for Ryan against soft zone = SUCCESS.

• cciowa
  • Veteran
terrible not to put more pressure on him,,,, he is the most hit qb in the nfl and we gave him all night.. well bottom line, big players make big plays and bowman bailed us out. and as i said,, even though i am beyond furious with roman today and our fourth quarter defense and our lack of pass rush,,,,, it is great the team just made the playoffs. to me that was a huge deal this year considering all the bad things that have happened,,,, roman, aldon smith, injuries,, roman

This. To expect those three or four guys to beat 5 or more guys (backs are sometimes used to help block Aldon Smith) is asking too much of them. I stated in another thread Vic Fangio needs to mix in a little Rex Ryan or Dick Lebeau with his defense.
Originally posted by JamesGatz83:

Nobody has lost a step.

2011- 42 sacks
2012- 38 sacks
2013- 37 sacks going into this week, even with Aldon missing significant time.

Even Justin Smith has 6.5 sacks, compared to 7.5 in 2011, despite being the oldest of the group.

The issue last night was the same issue that always occurs when we get a lead. Fangio plays conservative and drops 7 or 8 into soft zones every single play.

THIS! We're not blitzing and that makes it very hard to get sacks people! Aldon is dominate, Justin is as good as any 3-4 DE, Brooks is very good, we're fine on defense, especially the front 7. Matt Ryan gets rid of the ball in like one nanosecond.
49ers need to rush four and play press coverage, this seems to work best. when I see just a 3 man rush, I die inside because that is a guaranteed LOSS, No db in NFL History can stay with a wr for more then 5 seconds, C'MON MAN!!
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Yeah, I kept hearing the word "nudge" from Gruden...wasn't sure what exactly he meant. Is it a euphemism for holding?
[ Edited by kray28 on Dec 24, 2013 at 8:02 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone