LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 285 users in the forums

Smith, Tolzien thread. Yet again

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • WWFGD
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pd24:
He will go where the 49ers trade him, just like he signed the contract last year after the 49ers went after Manning. He has no say in the matter . Sure he would like to be released, but the 49ers will do what is best for the team.

+1,000
  • WWFGD
  • Veteran
Really hoping we get some great trade value out of Smith to compensate for years of atrocious play.
Originally posted by WWFGD:
Really hoping we get some great trade value out of Smith to compensate for years of atrocious play.

Originally posted by InHarbsWeTrust:
Originally posted by Furlow:
If all you're going to do is bring up the same old, uneducated, Alex-bashing talking points, then there is no point in discussing this with you. I'll leave you guys alone so you can worship Kaepernick and Harbaugh who can obviously do nothing wrong.

I have a feeling that no matter what Kaep has done, you're resentful of him and his success because your boy got a "raw deal". You need to get over it.

Originally posted by hofer36:
Originally posted by diegosydney:
Originally posted by Crysknife10:
Originally posted by real9erfan:
Right, the 49ers should make football decisions based on what would make the best fairy tale story lines for a particular player. People keep talking about being "flashy." Who said Kaepernick was given the starting job because he is more "flashy"? He was given the starting job because he is the better QB and the offense was more explosive under him. You need that on a team in case your defense and/or special teams don't play well, like what we saw in the playoffs. I really like Alex Smith and wish him the best, and although I think he may have gotten a raw deal in his first year with the Niners, I think the best thing that happened for his career is the arrival of Jim Harbaugh. The only reason he would have any interest on the market is because Harbaugh resurrected his career. But in the end, Jim Harbaugh has to do what is best for the TEAM, and not what is best to possibly make a feel good story for some emotional fans.

Alex was clutch in the redzone. Better chance of getting a TD in the last drive. I dissagree on Kaep being a better QB. I think they are very very close numbers wise, but Alex gets the edge on game management and smarts. I'm not just being emotional. You shouldn't lose your spot if you get hurt.

Ah THAT old chestnut.

It's the coach's job to play what he believes to be his best team.

So if Alex is clutch and has a better chance of scoring TDs, why did he go 15/24 for 140 yards with 0 TDs, 1 pick and take 9 sacks last time they played Baltimore.

there was a 76 yard td pass, negated by chilo rachal

Using that logic the 49ers actually did win the superbowl.

And even if he DID score a 76 yd TD pass the 49ers would still have lost, and the point would still stand, putting in Smith would NOT increase the chance of scoring, it would DECREASE the chance of scoring.
  • WWFGD
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by WWFGD:

But seriously...hopefully Revis
You Smith haters are the ones that need to get over it. Just because we don't blindly believe Kaepernick is Jesus in cleats, and that Harbaugh can do no wrong, does not mean that we are "resentful" or "hating on" Kaep. It also does not mean we think Smith "should be starting" or any of the other crap that you guys are saying. The bottom line is that every single time someone says something remotely critical of Kaepernick, the come back is "well Alex couldn't do this or that." As if that is some type of valid excuse for Kaepernick's mistakes or shortcomings.

Well I guess it will be hard for you to follow this team for years to come. There isn't a single person here who thinks Kaep is perfect. I've seen many fair criticisms about him. My problem is with the people who make silly claims like Alex could have done better or Kaep's playing style is why the D has been terrible or questioning if Alex will win the QB battle next year. That kind of crap is pathetic. You are free to critique Kaep but there's really not much to critique him on. He has started 10 games and has done some amazing things. The only time I hear negativity about him is on here by fans who are so caught up in their adulation for Smith they can't appreciate how great Kaep has been in the grand scheme of things.

Smith can win one way and unfortunately, we don't have the D or special teams to rely on that kind of play from our QB. Best of luck to him on his new team.
You Smith haters are the ones that need to get over it. Just because we don't blindly believe Kaepernick is Jesus in cleats, and that Harbaugh can do no wrong, does not mean that we are "resentful" or "hating on" Kaep. It also does not mean we think Smith "should be starting" or any of the other crap that you guys are saying. The bottom line is that every single time someone says something remotely critical of Kaepernick, the come back is "well Alex couldn't do this or that." As if that is some type of valid excuse for Kaepernick's mistakes or shortcomings.

Well I guess it will be hard for you to follow this team for years to come. There isn't a single person here who thinks Kaep is perfect. I've seen many fair criticisms about him. My problem is with the people who make silly claims like Alex could have done better or Kaep's playing style is why the D has been terrible or questioning if Alex will win the QB battle next year. That kind of crap is pathetic. You are free to critique Kaep but there's really not much to critique him on. He has started 10 games and has done some amazing things. The only time I hear negativity about him is on here by fans who are so caught up in their adulation for Smith they can't appreciate how great Kaep has been in the grand scheme of things.

Smith can win one way and unfortunately, we don't have the D or special teams to rely on that kind of play from our QB. Best of luck to him on his new team.

considering many are blaming the D it looks like neither can win without a strong performance from the D
considering many are blaming the D it looks like neither can win without a strong performance from the D

Well, one experienced veteran guy had the #1 rated defense, kicker and return team and got as far as the NFCCG.

The other guy making only his 10th start didn't have any of those luxuries and still almost pulled off a Superbowl win.

This is futile though, I wish Alex Smith all the best in his next stop and hope all his supporters here will support the 49ers with Kaepernick. Because neither he or Harbaugh are going anywhere anytime soon.

Well, one experienced veteran guy had the #1 rated defense, kicker and return team and got as far as the NFCCG.

The other guy making only his 10th start didn't have any of those luxuries and still almost pulled off a Superbowl win.

This is futile though, I wish Alex Smith all the best in his next stop and hope all his supporters here will support the 49ers with Kaepernick. Because neither he or Harbaugh are going anywhere anytime soon.

It has to do with principle, if one fails the other is going to struggle.

We failed to advance last year because of ST.

What I dont get is how some are labeled Alex supporters....shouldn't everybody support the player?

I believe that label is used when the "support of the player" is in the context of claiming that somehow he would have overcome all the issues the team experienced Sunday (no pass rush, poor secondary play, bad calls, crap ST coverage, LMJ fumble, mysterious playcalling, 1 INT) when in fact the empirical evidence of his body of work would suggest the opposite.

That's a bit cumbersome though !

It has to do with principle, if one fails the other is going to struggle.

We failed to advance last year because of ST.

What I dont get is how some are labeled Alex supporters....shouldn't everybody support the player?

I think the problem is that some people saw the same fans repeatedly defend Alex Smith whenever he was criticized and refuse to accept any criticism of his play who are now turning around and criticizing Kap in a manner that implies that Alex Smith should have remained the starter. Hey I'm just as guilty of having always defended Alex Smith, but now I recognize that Kap has superior talents. And I know that also some of the same people who criticized Alex now refuse to criticize Kap in the same manner, but to be honest, I don't think it's fair to compare criticism of an 8 year vet to criticism of a 10 game starter.
Originally posted by hofer36:
im not advocating this, as i think niners and smith are ready to part ways, but if as some think harbaugh suggested today that niners will keep smith, for whatever reason such as insurance in case kaepernick gets hurt, reasonable contract, unable to swing right trade, is there open competition for the qb position when camp opens? given harbaugh's past comments re how every position is open for competition, how could there not be

if not, what happens if smith outplays kaepernick in camp....

i see a real potential for the ir to be a divide among the team, and that is another reason to part ways

is this real life

Kaep has proven that he can win consistently with a poor performing D. He's the only QB on this roster who has.
Originally posted by real9erfan:
I think the problem is that some people saw the same fans repeatedly defend Alex Smith whenever he was criticized and refuse to accept any criticism of his play who are now turning around and criticizing Kap in a manner that implies that Alex Smith should have remained the starter. Hey I'm just as guilty of having always defended Alex Smith, but now I recognize that Kap has superior talents. And I know that also some of the same people who criticized Alex now refuse to criticize Kap in the same manner, but to be honest, I don't think it's fair to compare criticism of an 8 year vet to criticism of a 10 game starter.

The bolded is the biggest thing. If in year 8, Kaep can't throw a fade then he will get criticized big time. If he's missing open receivers and making rookie mistakes he will get blamed. I doubt even the biggest Kaep supporter will give him 8 years of leeway.

That's what bothers me about the Kaep criticism. It seems to be harshest from those who were supporting Smith. Criticism will always be harsher on an 8 year vet over a guy starting for the 1st time. Kaep will get more leeway because it's probably his 1st time experiencing most things. Smith has had almost a decade of experience so when he makes mistakes that he really shouldn't make he will get criticized heavily for it. It is what it is.
Share 49ersWebzone