There are 343 users in the forums

Smith, Tolzien thread. Yet again

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • titan
  • Veteran
Alex Smith is part of the team, just not a starter. I hope he takes a pay cut and takes a backup position. I really doubt it , but I think it would be the best bet for him.
Originally posted by BadgerHawk:
The NFL is a business. If you don't win, you are gone. Jerry Glanville once said the NFL stands for Not For Long. Harbaugh made a choice based on what was best for the TEAM. It was never about owing anyone anything. Alex isn't owed anything and he knows that. I thank him for what he has done but he was replaced by a superior player.

My views exactly.
Originally posted by titan:
Alex Smith is part of the team, just not a starter. I hope he takes a pay cut and takes a backup position. I really doubt it , but I think it would be the best bet for him.

Why do you think him being a backup is his best bet?
  • Jiks
I am still a bit bitter over this, thus why I don't come on this thread. But I understand the choice 100%. I honestly feel Alex could have gotten us here as well. Yesterdays game kind of reminded me of the Giants game, and yesterday we made the one or two plays that we didn't make last year. For example we didn't turn the ball over up by 4 with 8 minutes left. In all actuality Ginn actually gave us a huge boost to help get us the lead. Last year we fumbled that punt away. Another example was Dixon getting the one yard on third down. Last year he tripped himself.

If we made one of these two plays last year I think we would have won. That just kind of made me think we really should have won it last year, but that point is pretty damn moot now.

I thought the move was really premature, but I have been proven wrong. It really sucks that Alex was playing pretty well, but never got his chance to finish what he pretty much started. That's why I'm bitter. But I now understand and realize this has been Harbaughs plan all along. And to be honest I'm pretty sure Alex has known this all along as well. You would have to think they discussed this. I think that's why he's accepted his role is because he knew he could lose his job before he even signed the contract.

Again just sucks he lost it due to injury. I think he was really started to get into a rhythm just as Kaep is getting in (Week 9). He gets injured and Harbaugh decided might as well make the move now. I'm okay with that. I've never said Alex was a "great" QB, but always that he was a damn good QB who could get the job done. As I said in my first paragraph we were one or two plays away from going there last year. We make one of those plays we are going for #7 this year.

So yeah, Alex is a good QB but Kaepernick can be a "great" QB. I mean, in my honest opinion the guy "COULD BE" the Lebron James of the NFL. Well as far as just having the complete package. So you know, it's really hard to not like the guy. Sucks Alex got screwed but I'm pretty sure he'll be okay. If there is one guy that has a great life set for him it's Alex. Dudes got money, hot cheer leader wife, smarts to do something after football, and he still has plenty, plenty of juice left in the tank. I will be rooting for him where ever he goes, and would like nothing more than to beat his ass in a Super Bowl sometime.
[ Edited by JiksJuicy on Jan 21, 2013 at 9:22 AM ]
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
So yeah, Alex is a good QB but Kaepernick can be a "great" QB. I mean, in my honest opinion the guy "COULD BE" the Lebron James of the NFL. Well as far as just having the complete package. So you know, it's really hard to not like the guy. Sucks Alex got screwed but I'm pretty sure he'll be okay. If there is one guy that has a great life set for him it's Alex. Dudes got money, hot cheer leader wife, smarts to do something after football, and he still has plenty, plenty of juice left in the tank. I will be rooting for him where ever he goes, and would like nothing more than to beat his ass in a Super Bowl sometime.

I agree. I really had no idea what to think of the move to Kaepernik at the time. I really thought Kaep had high potential but would be very raw. I have been pleasantly surprised, obviously... he plays a pretty polished game.
I am still a bit bitter over this, thus why I don't come on this thread. But I understand the choice 100%. I honestly feel Alex could have gotten us here as well. Yesterdays game kind of reminded me of the Giants game, and yesterday we made the one or two plays that we didn't make last year. For example we didn't turn the ball over up by 4 with 8 minutes left. In all actuality Ginn actually gave us a huge boost to help get us the lead. Last year we fumbled that punt away. Another example was Dixon getting the one yard on third down. Last year he tripped himself.

If we made one of these two plays last year I think we would have won. That just kind of made me think we really should have won it last year, but that point is pretty damn moot now.

I thought the move was really premature, but I have been proven wrong. It really sucks that Alex was playing pretty well, but never got his chance to finish what he pretty much started. That's why I'm bitter. But I now understand and realize this has been Harbaughs plan all along. And to be honest I'm pretty sure Alex has known this all along as well. You would have to think they discussed this. I think that's why he's accepted his role is because he knew he could lose his job before he even signed the contract.

Again just sucks he lost it due to injury. I think he was really started to get into a rhythm just as Kaep is getting in (Week 9). He gets injured and Harbaugh decided might as well make the move now. I'm okay with that. I've never said Alex was a "great" QB, but always that he was a damn good QB who could get the job done. As I said in my first paragraph we were one or two plays away from going there last year. We make one of those plays we are going for #7 this year.

Here comes the Smith "fantasy". He could of won it too. What a crock.

Smith will never, ever get a Super Bowl unless he is on the bench. In 5 years he will symbolize what was bad with the Niners.
His distinction will only be that he was the highest draft pick ever selected by the Niners. And the highest paid QB ever (until Kap get rewarded). Paid the most, delivered the least.

Harbaugh resurrected his career and he should be thankful for that. His interest is an all time high now and I think it will be higher than if he remained the starter.

I think he is a class act as a person and hate saying anything negative. But the zombie like following is what is hard to stomach. I wish him well and am hopeful the zombies leave here and join him somewhere else.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal

let it go man and just enjoy the super bowl.

no one player is bigger than the TEAM.
Originally posted by OldJoe:
Here comes the Smith "fantasy". He could of won it too. What a crock.

Smith will never, ever get a Super Bowl unless he is on the bench. In 5 years he will symbolize what was bad with the Niners.
His distinction will only be that he was the highest draft pick ever selected by the Niners. And the highest paid QB ever (until Kap get rewarded). Paid the most, delivered the least.

Harbaugh resurrected his career and he should be thankful for that. His interest is an all time high now and I think it will be higher than if he remained the starter.

I think he is a class act as a person and hate saying anything negative. But the zombie like following is what is hard to stomach. I wish him well and am hopeful the zombies leave here and join him somewhere else.

Sums it up perfectly.

There's not one pass Smith makes Kaep can't.

There's lots of passes Kaep makes Smith can't.

And then there's the run threat.

Of course I haven't seen Kaep perfect the "run right and throw it out of bounds on 3rd down" play yet.......
Originally posted by susweel:

It's crazy. We're going to the Super Bowl and some are still sad/upset/bitter. WHAT?
Originally posted by InHarbsWeTrust:

It's crazy. We're going to the Super Bowl and some are still sad/upset/bitter. WHAT?
banwagon fans

Originally posted by captveg:
This game was eerily similar to the Eagles game last year, so it could have happened.

We'll never know.

In any case, Smith is surely wanting to start, but I'm sure he's happy to be on this team, going to the SB, and he's probably ecstatic for many of his teammates who he's been friends with for a long time now (Gore, Staley, Vernon, etc.)

No it wasn't. The stakes are a hell of a lot higher in the playoffs.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

aside from akers what can one be mad about? how can a guy kick it out of the end zone and miss a chip shot,,, sorry.. that was negative! today is not the day for that!!
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

banwagon fans

careful....
If your only intention in posting in this thread is to rile other up, say "I told you so," etc., then I suggest that you don't post in here.

Thanks.
Alex Smith fans need to get psychiatric treatment.

Why would a noodle-armed game manager who's benefited from a great running game and defense have such a delusional fanbase?

What is wrong with people?
Share 49ersWebzone