LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 289 users in the forums

Does anyone still believe that we will win the SB this season?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Does anyone still believe that we will win the SB this season?

w/o justin smith it is hard to think of our defense holding up enough. if we are going to win the SB the offense and offensive playcalling need to carry the team. as long as we keep playing teams that like to throw the ball and have pedestrian defenses i think we have a legit shot.

As for the seahawks i dont think they have a chance since they havent beaten a playoff team on the road andd seeing how they are going to have play road games leading up to the SB. i think they get eliminated in the wildcard round.
[ Edited by JustinNiner on Dec 26, 2012 at 12:18 PM ]
If we fail to get to the SB or win it all, it will be due to our deficient defense. Carlos Rogers is horrible and we still need a shutdown corner.
Per Brent Jones it's all on the D:

http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/2012/12/inside-the-49ers/brent-jones-this-team-will-not-win-the-super-bowl-unless-the-defense-carries-them/
With Justin Smith, defense is elite. Capable of beating anybody.

I believe we can. Every top team has shown weakness.
Originally posted by JustinNiner:
w/o justin smith it is hard to think of our defense holding up enough. if we are going to win the SB the offense and offensive playcalling need to carry the team. as long as we keep playing teams that like to throw the ball and have pedestrian defenses i think we have a legit shot.

As for the seahawks i dont think they have a chance since they havent beaten a playoff team on the road andd seeing how they are going to have play road games leading up to the SB. i think they get eliminated in the wildcard round.

in order for you to make this statement , we would first have to face playoff caliber teams on the road. as it stands, the only playoff caliber team we've played on the road is SF...
  • fly15
  • Veteran
Originally posted by cciowa:
its ok if we lose cuz that means ck is getting experience

lets give him about 6 yrs to develop
Originally posted by fortyninerglory:

http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/2012/12/inside-the-49ers/brent-jones-this-team-will-not-win-the-super-bowl-unless-the-defense-carries-them/

Good read. Love Brent Jones. One of my favorite, all-time 49ers.
the offensive numbers since the qb change dont provide much hope for a sb win, but instead show niners have lost their identity:

Not just redzone and 3rd down conversions, I was looking over the team rankings at several sites and it seems the 9ers have dropped in several categories from first 8 games to current. Third down conversion, time of possession, team rushing yards per game, team passing TDs per game, and rushing 1st downs per game have all dropped. This is a ranking comparison versus the other 31 teams in the league. Interesting.

BOS49er says:
December 26, 2012 at 12:00 pm
Now if only there was something different in the first 8 games from the last 7 that we could point a finger to :))

Hoferfan67 says:
December 26, 2012 at 12:06 pm
I forgot a couple, plays per game and yards per play as well.
Originally posted by hofer36:
he shoots, he scores----niners i dont think are going to sniff the superbowl with the present offensive scheme they are running...but it would probably win the pac 10 title

Rejected and sent into the third row. We have to get back to running the ball, playing great defense, and great special teams. That's what made us good last year,.the offense has not exactly been a juggernaut since Harbaugh got here. All those other games we won vs Seattle were not won by the great arm of Alex Smith, check the stats. It's funny how people all of a sudden want the qb to carry this team(since they didn't get their way), when that's not what has been done over the last 2 seasons.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Yes

"If you're going through hell, keep going."

-Winston Churchill
I believe !!
Anyone who believes this is an pessemestic view just because of the Seattle loss isn't taking in the entire picture.. We have not been consistent the ENTIRE season. WWL is the pattern we have stuck by since september and we haven't been playing well except for 2q in New England. I just don't see this team "flipping the switch" and dominating in the playoffs.... The writings been on the wall for a while now..
Originally posted by fortyninerglory:

The part that stands out to me is that he mentions Rathman going out on taxas routes and that the niners need to do more of that. That really frustrates me because I think most of us here have been asking the same thing. Where are screens? Where are wheel routes to the FB? Where are hook routes by RBs. We have really no creativity in the short passing game despite having some of the best backs that are capable of doing it.

Bruce Miller could be really solid out there and if he can learn to punish tacklers the offense would have just another element added. LaMike is almost a clone of Sproles and should be used on screens out of the backfield. I'm shocked that we are supposed to have a west coast offense, yet we just basically run a little more advanced version of the Jimmy Raye playbook. It's maddening.

Just had a thought after writing this. I wonder if "Tommy" has a goal to become an OC. I would LOVE to give him that shot. The man played RB under Walsh so I would think he would know how to incorporate our guys into the plan. I would be willing to bet that he would bring an offense like what we have all waited for. Harbaugh said he wants that style of passing attack so it wouldn't surprise me.
[ Edited by TheRatMan13 on Dec 26, 2012 at 12:49 PM ]
A lot of you are rooting for the wrong Smith to get back in the game. We need Justin not Alex to win, I hope JS is healthy for the playoffs. Otherwise we are in trouble, we won't go to far with our D giving up 38 a game. It won't matter who is playing at qb.....
Share 49ersWebzone