LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 235 users in the forums

Are we overrated???

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Are we overrated???

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by tjd808185:
That gimmick kicked our ***.

Washington makes it work, but they also have more intelligent playcalling overall. 49ers, whether they run the pistol or whatever other formation, have ridiculously uneven and unimaginative playcalling. Its getting to the point where I'm starting to feel again, just like during the Jimmy Raye era, that defenses know exactly what is coming.

I think we just had a lack of execution. Kaep looked rattled from the get-go and played that way. Inaccurate indecisive and hesitant even. For the first time he looked like a noobie.
Washington makes it work, but they also have more intelligent playcalling overall. 49ers, whether they run the pistol or whatever other formation, have ridiculously uneven and unimaginative playcalling. Its getting to the point where I'm starting to feel again, just like during the Jimmy Raye era, that defenses know exactly what is coming.

Originally posted by Young2Rice:
I think we just had a lack of execution. Kaep looked rattled from the get-go and played that way. Inaccurate indecisive and hesitant even. For the first time he looked like a noobie.

The one thing I don't like is our rushing attack seems to have declined over the past few weeks. Washington and Seattle got better results with the read play calling.
I think the biggest issue is the lack of sustained drives. Then possibly a larger issue, is the lack of the coaching staff in realising what kind of Offense is most effective to run with this team, and the type of defense we run. A high octane, heavy hitting defense that relys heavily on LB's and Safetys to headhunt needs an offense that can sustain drives other wise they gas, and get injured due to too much time on the field.

everyone fell in love with Kaeps ability to make big plays, but failed to realise that the Offense with AS at the helm was much more suited to our defense due to long clock eating, drives..

A big play is fine and dandy, but sustained drives are more important when you have an elite defense to rely on.

Another thing is AS was much more efficient running th offence. We should not be dumbing down an offense at this point in the season.

Another thing that worries me, especially after this game, was Kaep was staring down his receivers really badly. That as something alot of people criticised smith for, and smith IMO was never near as bad at that as Kaep as in this game. He is also clearly starting to question his decision making. That hesitation on the manningham pass where he got injured was as bad as i have seen.

I still think Kaep will probably be OK in the long run, but it has become clear that coach made a horrible decision benching AS, and it has probally cost us our super bowl run. Harbaugh has done neither Kaep, nor this team any favors by benching AS. For all the praise he rightfully earned last season, he has been almost the exact opposite this season. He deserves alot if not most of the blame for the shortcomings of this team.

Game plan was aweful this week. Frank Gore made a name for himself against Seattle and we come out gunslinging? Still cant fix the play clock issues? f**king made me sick quite frankly.
We were 6-2 with Smith starting....We are 4-2 with Kap starting...I still fail to see a reason for the mid-season change...Russell Wilson was 4-4
in the first eight games of the season, but he didn't get benched by Carroll.
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
I think the biggest issue is the lack of sustained drives. Then possibly a larger issue, is the lack of the coaching staff in realising what kind of Offense is most effective to run with this team, and the type of defense we run. A high octane, heavy hitting defense that relys heavily on LB's and Safetys to headhunt needs an offense that can sustain drives other wise they gas, and get injured due to too much time on the field.

everyone fell in love with Kaeps ability to make big plays, but failed to realise that the Offense with AS at the helm was much more suited to our defense due to long clock eating, drives..

A big play is fine and dandy, but sustained drives are more important when you have an elite defense to rely on.

Another thing is AS was much more efficient running th offence. We should not be dumbing down an offense at this point in the season.

Another thing that worries me, especially after this game, was Kaep was staring down his receivers really badly. That as something alot of people criticised smith for, and smith IMO was never near as bad at that as Kaep as in this game. He is also clearly starting to question his decision making. That hesitation on the manningham pass where he got injured was as bad as i have seen.

I still think Kaep will probably be OK in the long run, but it has become clear that coach made a horrible decision benching AS, and it has probally cost us our super bowl run. Harbaugh has done neither Kaep, nor this team any favors by benching AS. For all the praise he rightfully earned last season, he has been almost the exact opposite this season. He deserves alot if not most of the blame for the shortcomings of this team.

Game plan was aweful this week. Frank Gore made a name for himself against Seattle and we come out gunslinging? Still cant fix the play clock issues? f**king made me sick quite frankly.

Yeah in the rain, in a f**king crazy ass stadium. Should of ran the ball to set up the pass like we have done in the past. We were f**king playing checkers again instead of chess.
Originally posted by jimmythegreekjr:
We were 6-2 with Smith starting....We are 4-2 with Kap starting...I still fail to see a reason for the mid-season change...Russell Wilson was 4-4
in the first eight games of the season, but he didn't get benched by Carroll.

The 4 TDs in Foxborrough is the reason.

Smith has never done that in his career.

I think this a bit of an overreaction to the past 2 weeks. Big Ben is the ultimate big play qb yet their defense doesn't break down. They won 2 Super Bowls by chewing the clock with the run and looking for huge plays in the passing game.

Our rushing attack just hasn't been that effective under the Pistol.

It seems like you're ignoring constant 3 and outs that we had with Alex, yea there were time-consuming drives but the overall time of possession is pretty much the same. I don't think thats as big of a factor as having a constant, cohesive offensive gameplan and the 49ers rarely seem like they have one. The playcalling has been poor, regardless of which quarterback has been in there and one reason why their stats are very close to each other. You can replace the QB as much as you want, if the playcalling sucks, the offense will be mediocre, period.
Originally posted by tjd808185:

I think this a bit of an overreaction to the past 2 weeks. Big Ben is the ultimate big play qb yet their defense doesn't break down. They won 2 Super Bowls by chewing the clock with the run and looking for huge plays in the passing game.

Our rushing attack just hasn't been that effective under the Pistol.

Not an overreaction at all. The run game hasnt been the same since Kaep took over. Like you mentioned yourself, the run game has not been effective in the pistol. It comes down to gameplan with Kaep vs gameplan with Alex. Yes the gameplanning has been lacking all season, but this team IMO was much more effective with AS under center. No way in hell they come out gunslinging this week with AS under center, Frank Gore has had a career of stoping the seahawks and we come out slinging the football? and thats where the mentality is all wrong with Kaep.

I tend to agree with a lot of this. I think Kaep has a huge upside. But he's not ready this year. The little things like all the timeouts we use because we can't read th defense fast enough for audibles, can't get the center exchange clean, delay of game penalties, interceptions into double coverage. I like Kaep long term. But he's not ready this year.

In hindsight it may have been a mistake to switch QB's. Alex would give us a chance. Going into the playoffs with this and we are toast.

It seems like you're ignoring constant 3 and outs that we had with Alex, yea there were time-consuming drives but the overall time of possession is pretty much the same. I don't think thats as big of a factor as having a constant, cohesive offensive gameplan and the 49ers rarely seem like they have one. The playcalling has been poor, regardless of which quarterback has been in there and one reason why their stats are very close to each other. You can replace the QB as much as you want, if the playcalling sucks, the offense will be mediocre, period.

I do agree with most of what you said as far as game planning goes, But IMO the offense with Kaep has been much more ineffective in the style of football we should be playing. No way in hell they come out gunslinging if AS was under center in this game. And i do beleive TOP was much greater with AS under center. If i am wrong please provide me with statistics. I could certainly be wrong.

What i see since Kaep has taken over is an offense that wants to rely almost entirely on bigplays, and when the bigplays dont work, they lean on Crabtree to bail them out on third. Then back to attempts to force big plays, then back to crabtree to move the chains. Until eather we hit a bigplay, or the drive stalls. That is if we dont go three and out first.

I do place most of the blame on Harbaugh, and i am a fan of Kaep, but i dont beleive Harbaugh did Kaep or this team any favors by benching AS prematurely. No they are talking about dumbing down the offense. f**king ridiculous.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

I tend to agree with a lot of this. I think Kaep has a huge upside. But he's not ready this year. The little things like all the timeouts we use because we can't read th defense fast enough for audibles, can't get the center exchange clean, delay of game penalties, interceptions into double coverage. I like Kaep long term. But he's not ready this year.

In hindsight it may have been a mistake to switch QB's. Alex would give us a chance. Going into the playoffs with this and we are toast.

Dnt get me wrong. I am a Kaep fan. I am also a harbaugh fan(roman not so much) I just think Harbaugh really screwed the team by prematurely benching AS, and it certainly hasnt helped Kaep any. His stubborness has also been disapointing. Changes like this should happen in the offseason when they have a chance to tailor an offense to the QB, and progress that offense throughout the season. When everything is working well, you simply dont make the decision to change, simply for the sake of change. Its pretty clear at this point that it as the wrong decision.
Everyone needs to stfu about bringing Alex smith back in. He's done. Get over it. Alex would not have gotten us back into this game after the blocked field goal return. It doesn't matter how long Alex holds the ball for if we can't score td's. the dude is weak and that's why he's benched.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

You seemed pleased after last weeks game.
You can take nothing for granted in the NFL, teams rise and teams fall, often very quickly. Your team may be the new shining star of the league one year, and be eclipsed by another rising power just a year later. Teams like the 49ers dynasty, the current Pats run, they are the exception, not the norm. I think this Niner team will be just fine, it is in good hands, but becoming a dynasty---it all depends.
Share 49ersWebzone