There are 302 users in the forums

No changes to the o-line?? Really??

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • dmax
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Originally posted by nickbradley:
Originally posted by BleedRandG:
We all witnessed Sunday the disgrace that is the 49ers offensive line. They gave up 6 sacks to a team that had 8 all season. You would think that Sing would be competent enough to makes some changes to the O-line. Instead he does not even think about it and starts praising them. Really?? I can understand how Anthony Davis is a rookie and all but Chilo Rachal has got to go. He is inconsistent at best and last Sunday he played like garbage. Can we please at least try Snyder for a game and see what happens?

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2010/11/23/SPBG1GFUDA.DTL

The pass-blocking wasn't the biggest problem on the O-line...it was rushing for 23 yards against the worst run defense in the NFL.

Yes but when every middle gap has one or two Defenders clogging the lanes it's next to impossible to get positive yardage. Frank had ONE good Run all day and once they scored in the 2nd quarter we abandoned the Run for much of the game. It's like the blind leading the blind with this Offense.

Can't see that their unimaginative play calling kills us. Can't see that an inexperienced QB is a detriment(hell why not elevate Nate from the PS, they got zero film on him) to the remainder of the season when they know his quirks now.

What has me ripping my hair out is that now Uno is holding the ball too long as well as holding it out in space(I guess it's better than holding it at the hip ) when he runs. The Cards won't be sitting back waiting for him to throw some BS Hail Mary pass off his back foot. They are going to go right for the ball when they Rush and I guarantee that's going to cost us.

So not only is Sing nuts for not making a change at RG(the whole Line had issues against the Bucs) but he's not making a change at QB now that Alex is healthy. And as much as I respect that it was just ONE bad game, I know that you do not take an inexperienced player and put him on the field in a rivalry game when you HAVE TO Win. This isn't week 5 this is week 11. There ain't no more chances to get back into this at this point.

At least with Alex under Center the guy knows how to audible and has a Red Zone percentage and knows the Opponent. He's seen their tendencies and can call his own plays in the 2 minute drill. Unfortunately Johnson is too green to take Sing aside and have a heart to heart with him. If Sing is EVER going to learn from this season he NEEDS that guy. The guy that has no issues with calling a spade a spade and reeling the HC back to reality. Walsh had that, Seifert had that, hell even Mooch had that. Sing doesn't or if he does he isn't a good sounding board Assistant. Sing must have a Yes man there. Cause nobody challenges him and that is a bad thing when you expect to have a better outcome from the year before. Marathe ain't gonna do it. And neither is Baalke. Those guys are fine (though Marathe needs to be slapped for not having important contracts done at least one of them), it's our Coaching Staff that I have issues with. Specifically Sing and Sullivan. When our Defense gets killed and the DC is on the Sidelines I say WTF?!!!! are you doing on the sideline. Why is your stupid ass not in the booth?!!! Sing doesn't even question it. That right there is a guy that is not focusing on the overall issues.

And Sullivan. That guy has single handedly held us back every season with is Pet players. I like Morgan but c'mon Ziggy proved he was a better player in Camp. And who is the starter? Morgan. Unfortunately he shows up once or twice a game and the opposing teams see this. They can handle that and will live or die with it. Tree just ain't carrying his water either. I'm REALLY frustrated with that unit. Get Jerry on the horn and see if he wants to coach dammit. You KNOW that unit will be 10x better than the one we field now before Camp even starts.

Anyone got Jed's number? If he wants this team to be a success Sing needs to hear this stuff if Jed is going to stick with him. Otherwise he might as well cut the cord now cause next year it will be the same old bullcrap. I'm not convinced Harbaugh is the answer. College is College. He played in the Pros. Can he coach in the Pros? We've already done the inexperienced bit, I don't feel like watching a team on the cusp be relegated to obscurity because we have to do our part to bring inexperienced coaches along. I don't know about you but we have done our mea culpa, it's time to get down to brass tax. Get a respectable coordinator in here give him 100% anonymity, tell Sing that if he don't like it then he knows what he can do, and fire Sullivan and let the OC hire the new guy and any assistant that he feels doesn't cut it.

To me Sing is Seifert, but without the Offensive philosophy to fall back on. George was smart enough not to get too involved with the Offense. He had his moments but for the most part that guy was successful in every aspect as a HC with this team. He certainly had our number when the Cats faced us every season if I rightly recall. His players there were mostly the issue.

Maybe Alex shoulda one upped Steve and just decked Sing when they were arguing on the sidelines. I think that may be the only thing Sing will listen to at this point.

~Ceadder

This is the greatest post ever. I agree with every word
  • dmax
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dmax:
We all witnessed Sunday the disgrace that is the 49ers offensive line. They gave up 6 sacks to a team that had 8 all season. You would think that Sing would be competent enough to makes some changes to the O-line. Instead he does not even think about it and starts praising them. Really?? I can understand how Anthony Davis is a rookie and all but Chilo Rachal has got to go. He is inconsistent at best and last Sunday he played like garbage. Can we please at least try Snyder for a game and see what happens?

The pass-blocking wasn't the biggest problem on the O-line...it was rushing for 23 yards against the worst run defense in the NFL.

Yes but when every middle gap has one or two Defenders clogging the lanes it's next to impossible to get positive yardage. Frank had ONE good Run all day and once they scored in the 2nd quarter we abandoned the Run for much of the game. It's like the blind leading the blind with this Offense.

Can't see that their unimaginative play calling kills us. Can't see that an inexperienced QB is a detriment(hell why not elevate Nate from the PS, they got zero film on him) to the remainder of the season when they know his quirks now.

What has me ripping my hair out is that now Uno is holding the ball too long as well as holding it out in space(I guess it's better than holding it at the hip ) when he runs. The Cards won't be sitting back waiting for him to throw some BS Hail Mary pass off his back foot. They are going to go right for the ball when they Rush and I guarantee that's going to cost us.

So not only is Sing nuts for not making a change at RG(the whole Line had issues against the Bucs) but he's not making a change at QB now that Alex is healthy. And as much as I respect that it was just ONE bad game, I know that you do not take an inexperienced player and put him on the field in a rivalry game when you HAVE TO Win. This isn't week 5 this is week 11. There ain't no more chances to get back into this at this point.

At least with Alex under Center the guy knows how to audible and has a Red Zone percentage and knows the Opponent. He's seen their tendencies and can call his own plays in the 2 minute drill. Unfortunately Johnson is too green to take Sing aside and have a heart to heart with him. If Sing is EVER going to learn from this season he NEEDS that guy. The guy that has no issues with calling a spade a spade and reeling the HC back to reality. Walsh had that, Seifert had that, hell even Mooch had that. Sing doesn't or if he does he isn't a good sounding board Assistant. Sing must have a Yes man there. Cause nobody challenges him and that is a bad thing when you expect to have a better outcome from the year before. Marathe ain't gonna do it. And neither is Baalke. Those guys are fine (though Marathe needs to be slapped for not having important contracts done at least one of them), it's our Coaching Staff that I have issues with. Specifically Sing and Sullivan. When our Defense gets killed and the DC is on the Sidelines I say WTF?!!!! are you doing on the sideline. Why is your stupid ass not in the booth?!!! Sing doesn't even question it. That right there is a guy that is not focusing on the overall issues.

And Sullivan. That guy has single handedly held us back every season with is Pet players. I like Morgan but c'mon Ziggy proved he was a better player in Camp. And who is the starter? Morgan. Unfortunately he shows up once or twice a game and the opposing teams see this. They can handle that and will live or die with it. Tree just ain't carrying his water either. I'm REALLY frustrated with that unit. Get Jerry on the horn and see if he wants to coach dammit. You KNOW that unit will be 10x better than the one we field now before Camp even starts.

Anyone got Jed's number? If he wants this team to be a success Sing needs to hear this stuff if Jed is going to stick with him. Otherwise he might as well cut the cord now cause next year it will be the same old bullcrap. I'm not convinced Harbaugh is the answer. College is College. He played in the Pros. Can he coach in the Pros? We've already done the inexperienced bit, I don't feel like watching a team on the cusp be relegated to obscurity because we have to do our part to bring inexperienced coaches along. I don't know about you but we have done our mea culpa, it's time to get down to brass tax. Get a respectable coordinator in here give him 100% anonymity, tell Sing that if he don't like it then he knows what he can do, and fire Sullivan and let the OC hire the new guy and any assistant that he feels doesn't cut it.

To me Sing is Seifert, but without the Offensive philosophy to fall back on. George was smart enough not to get too involved with the Offense. He had his moments but for the most part that guy was successful in every aspect as a HC with this team. He certainly had our number when the Cats faced us every season if I rightly recall. His players there were mostly the issue.

Maybe Alex shoulda one upped Steve and just decked Sing when they were arguing on the sidelines. I think that may be the only thing Sing will listen to at this point.

~Ceadder

ALEX GIVES US THE BEST CHANCE TO WIN..PERIOD

~Ceadder

Why does every discussion about O-line or receivers, or anything offense have to come back to Alex? Six effing years is enough to prove yourself, no matter how many OC's, coaches or whatever. SIX YEARS!!!! He is not the answer (and probably neither is Troy, but 3 games, as opposed to 6 years, is too early to tell). Get over it, for Pete's sake!
Sullivan's Pet Players:

Arnaz Battle
Taylor Jacobs
Brian Gilmore
Curtis Conway
Dominique Zeigler
Micheal Spurlock

He definitely held back players like Jason Hill and Ashley Lelie from ever making an impact on the club. Jason Hill seemed to score touchdowns on every other pass that he caught. Same goes for Anthony Dixon, every other time he touches the ball seems to be for a TD.
^^^Battle was never a Sullivan pet. In fact he was our most reliable Receiver since Jerry and T.O. left this team. I do have to say that Ziggy is pretty good. But Sullivan seems to always hold back the capable Receivers for the practice warriors. I think at this point Tree needs to sit for a game or two. He isn't playing to his ability.

Originally posted by 4evrfan:

~Ceadder

Why does every discussion about O-line or receivers, or anything offense have to come back to Alex? Six effing years is enough to prove yourself, no matter how many OC's, coaches or whatever. SIX YEARS!!!! He is not the answer (and probably neither is Troy, but 3 games, as opposed to 6 years, is too early to tell). Get over it, for Pete's sake!

Someone here needs to get over something that's for certain.

But lemme point something out to you that you seem not to grasp.

In 3 games Troy has made EVERY cardinal mistake a QB is told NOT to do. Not that I'm condemning him for it. He's young and inexperienced.

Unfortunately for you, Alex IS the experienced guy, he's HAD success and knows the playbook well enough to call the 2 minute drill plays. Which Troy does not.

Johnson has shown flashes of competence as a Coordinator but like Troy is young and inexperienced. The only time we have successful plays on the field is Script. The Opposing Defenses now have a model to play to. With Alex they can't play to that. Sure they have film of Alex, but our QB whoever he is, will have to have the experience to run 2 minute drill.

Oh and btw, Alex still has a solid Red Zone statistic. He's been damned solid there and if nothing else can get us into FG range. Troy couldn't get us past the 30. Not all of it is his fault but don't shun facts where Alex is concerned but point them out in Defense of Troy.

Yeah Alex is more than likely done here but so long as we're in a position to finish out strong then I want the best guy on the field. Until Troy can lead the Offense competently I'll make the case for Alex. That's just the way it is.

Oh and back on topic, the Line has been an issue for years. Everyone with half a brain knew this. We all know that it's not going to be fixed with 2 draft picks, but keeping them on the field should help them. What's funny is that people expect to give a Pass to Troy for the same things that have been poo pooed where Alex is concerned. Ironical.

~Ceadder

[ Edited by Ceadderman on Nov 25, 2010 at 00:37:03 ]
^^^Battle was never a Sullivan pet. In fact he was our most reliable Receiver since Jerry and T.O. left this team. I do have to say that Ziggy is pretty good. But Sullivan seems to always hold back the capable Receivers for the practice warriors. I think at this point Tree needs to sit for a game or two. He isn't playing to his ability.

Originally posted by 4evrfan:

~Ceadder

Someone here needs to get over something that's for certain.

But lemme point something out to you that you seem not to grasp.

In 3 games Troy has made EVERY cardinal mistake a QB is told NOT to do. Not that I'm condemning him for it. He's young and inexperienced.

Unfortunately for you, Alex IS the experienced guy, he's HAD success and knows the playbook well enough to call the 2 minute drill plays. Which Troy does not.

Johnson has shown flashes of competence as a Coordinator but like Troy is young and inexperienced. The only time we have successful plays on the field is Script. The Opposing Defenses now have a model to play to. With Alex they can't play to that. Sure they have film of Alex, but our QB whoever he is, will have to have the experience to run 2 minute drill.

Oh and btw, Alex still has a solid Red Zone statistic. He's been damned solid there and if nothing else can get us into FG range. Troy couldn't get us past the 30. Not all of it is his fault but don't shun facts where Alex is concerned but point them out in Defense of Troy.

Yeah Alex is more than likely done here but so long as we're in a position to finish out strong then I want the best guy on the field. Until Troy can lead the Offense competently I'll make the case for Alex. That's just the way it is.

Oh and back on topic, the Line has been an issue for years. Everyone with half a brain knew this. We all know that it's not going to be fixed with 2 draft picks, but keeping them on the field should help them. What's funny is that people expect to give a Pass to Troy for the same things that have been poo pooed where Alex is concerned. Ironical.

~Ceadder

Enough about Alex man, this thread isn't even about him. Why would Alex even want to play for us again anyways? Fans hate him, the OL is risky to play with, the coaches are incompetent, WRs still run the wrong routes, and he'll probably have a chance to compete for a starting role next year somewhere else. If I was Alex, I'd stay away from this crapfest, he's done here.
Jeez! One bad game for Troy and Ceadder comes crawling out of the woodwork. Isn't this an Oline thread?

Don't you guys know how to delete nested posts?
It doesn't matter who is the QB, the oline is a major disappointment this year. The bottom line is our offensive line sucks, so the offense sucks.
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
to be fair, on more than a few of those sacks, T.Smith held onto the ball too long. So blame it on coverage or Troy not delivering the ball in a timely manner.

taht being said, there is no excuse for our sorry ass rushing stats against the bucs.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
It doesn't matter who is the QB, the oline is a major disappointment this year. The bottom line is our offensive line sucks, so the offense sucks.

Exactly.

To answer binary and SJ...

1st(binary)...the Line IS a problem and QB is a relevant issue BECAUSE of that. Since Alex Started the season he IS relevant. Just as Troy is. You can stick your head in the sand all you want about Alex but that doesn't change just because you want it to go away.

2nd(SJ)... I like Troy Smith. I don't know where you get off acting like I don't. Especially since you have nothing supporting your opinion that I come out of the woodwork only because ...

Since when have you seen me be unfair regarding ANYBODY on the team?

The issue is pretty simple imho. The Line is having issues. Troy WOULD be the correct way to go IF he weren't making the Cardinal mistakes that he's made the last 3 games. That is NOT going to change any time soon. Win or Lose is a simple choice. We can be 50/50 with Troy or we can give ourselves a solid chance with Alex. I know that's not much of a choice as far as you're concerned but you cannot deny the fact that Alex has had success against Arizona. Starting Troy is much more of a tossup. Let's not forget the #1 cardinal sin is holding the ball too long. We've heard this before back when O'Sullivan was the Starter. Nothing changed then and I do not expect much of a change now.

Now I know that Sing has said he's going with Troy, but I guarantee that Alex is the better option at this point.

So we can stop with the snide accusatory themed references. You're no more an expert than I am.

~Ceadder

[ Edited by Ceadderman on Nov 25, 2010 at 14:16:14 ]

Originally posted by leebert81:

~Ceadder

Two things:

1> Singletary is so much worse than Seifert. To even place those two in the same sentence is insulting. Seifert was a winner and his teams were always competitive.

2> Please drop the Alex Smith thing already. He's done and no one but you wants to see him under center in a Niner uniform ever again. I had a nasty chill up my spine just seeing him dressed for the game on Sunday.

LB

our season is over. just start Rachal, Iupati, and Davis the rest of the way to get them playing time. if they get beat on a regular basis the rest of the way, its more time to learn how to get better before we play in a season that might mean something next year.
Originally posted by Niners99:
our season is over. just start Rachal, Iupati, and Davis the rest of the way to get them playing time. if they get beat on a regular basis the rest of the way, its more time to learn how to get better before we play in a season that might mean something next year.

At this point every move should be made looking forward. This probably won't happen though since Sing knows he is on the way out unless he pulls a miracle (which won't happen).
I love how Singletary is evaluating the left side of the line like it is the problematic side. The entire right side needs to be benched or at least evaluated for christ sakes. Rachal and Davis are terrible!
O-line is garbage. As an aside watching Carson Palmer play this evening he really sucks too....poor accuracy and poor decisions. I bring this up because his o-line is garbage. No QB looks good when they have no time to throw or they can't rush the ball.

And yeah Sullivan sucks monkey butts too.
Share 49ersWebzone