There are 212 users in the forums

NFC West Champs! 2nd seed!! (End of Reg Season)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Wodwo:
Originally posted by verb1der:
Sure, perhaps at the beginning of the game. But anyone who pays close attention to Gore, knows he wears down as the game goes on. He runs extremely hard, but you can clearly see him calling to be subbed after a hard run. What happens when he does that? They put in LMJ or Dixon. Do defenses fear LMJ or Dixon out the backfield? No.

Anyone who thinks Gore is an every down back at this point is in denial. The fact is, 49ers can no longer rely on a ground and pound run scheme since we lost Hunter. I don't understand why no one can see this. It's clearly obvious.

So how do they make for it? They use the pistol/Q. Because the formation still allows versatile run/pass scheme that keeps a defense honest. Is it perfect? No. But has it worked against top tier teams. Yes.

Coaches are working with what they have, and all those complaining that "we should go back to what we did before" is completely ignoring the fact that 49ers do not have the same RBs that were the catalysts for those formations.

Ted Robinson said it best "People have no idea how crucial it was to lose Kendall Hunter."

Yes, the statistics clearly support that.

First Half: 129 attempts for 584 yards. 4.5 average with 2 touchdowns and 29 first downs.

Second Half: 99 attempts for 539 yards. 5.4 average with 5 touchdowns and 32 first downs.

Obviously less effective as the game goes on.

Interesting stats Wodwo.

That all the more proves to me that the coaches are doing a great job in incorporating Gore into the game plan. A smaller workload keeps him fresh throughout the game so he can make the most of every opportunity.

If they asked Gore to be the bell cow again like good ol' times as some are suggesting, I believe the stats above would tip the scale heavily towards the first half (especially at this stage of his career).

Fortunately with the read-option, Kaep + LMJ essentially spells Gore throughout the game, to make up for the loss of production from Kendall Hunter.
Originally posted by GNielsen:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Does anyone know the relationship between the Harbaughs and Whisenhunt?

If they are close Whiz could just keel over and let us take it.

I know i would do that for my buddy ONLY IF nothing was on the line for me. In fact, if AZ loses, it benefits their draft status anyway.

That just does not happen in the NFL. The closest thing I've ever seen to anything like that was Farvre bending over for Strahan and he got a load of crap over it. And Strahan has an astrix next to his record. No head coach is going to keel over and let anyone take anything in the NFL.

That one was just obvious. There are ways a coach can effect the game without anyone knowing. Maybe a foolish fourth down call, a questionable fake punt, or conservative play calling.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Go, Niners, go!
As long as we jump on them early should kick them in the center of there a**
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Wodwo:
Sure, perhaps at the beginning of the game. But anyone who pays close attention to Gore, knows he wears down as the game goes on. He runs extremely hard, but you can clearly see him calling to be subbed after a hard run. What happens when he does that? They put in LMJ or Dixon. Do defenses fear LMJ or Dixon out the backfield? No.

Anyone who thinks Gore is an every down back at this point is in denial. The fact is, 49ers can no longer rely on a ground and pound run scheme since we lost Hunter. I don't understand why no one can see this. It's clearly obvious.

So how do they make for it? They use the pistol/Q. Because the formation still allows versatile run/pass scheme that keeps a defense honest. Is it perfect? No. But has it worked against top tier teams. Yes.

Coaches are working with what they have, and all those complaining that "we should go back to what we did before" is completely ignoring the fact that 49ers do not have the same RBs that were the catalysts for those formations.

Ted Robinson said it best "People have no idea how crucial it was to lose Kendall Hunter."

Yes, the statistics clearly support that.

First Half: 129 attempts for 584 yards. 4.5 average with 2 touchdowns and 29 first downs.

Second Half: 99 attempts for 539 yards. 5.4 average with 5 touchdowns and 32 first downs.

Obviously less effective as the game goes on.

Interesting stats Wodwo.

That all the more proves to me that the coaches are doing a great job in incorporating Gore into the game plan. A smaller workload keeps him fresh throughout the game so he can make the most of every opportunity.

If they asked Gore to be the bell cow again like good ol' times as some are suggesting, I believe the stats above would tip the scale heavily towards the first half (especially at this stage of his career).

Fortunately with the read-option, Kaep + LMJ essentially spells Gore throughout the game, to make up for the loss of production from Kendall Hunter.

Yeah, they've done a good job managing Gore's touches this season. He's being used exactly how I hoped he would when he signed his extension.

Losing Hunter does hurt the offense quite a bit, though. That combined with Kap's inexperience reading pro defenses and Gore's problems with the option.

Hopefully things just 'click' soon. It's so close I can taste it.
Go 49ers! Can't wait for Sunday!
As noted by Darren Urban on the team's official page, preparing for Kaepernick will be different. "It's very different because both buys are athletic but when you have Kaepernick, who can run with his feet and could probably throw the ball a little better than Alex, it's added pressure on us to stop him with his feet," linebacker Daryl Washington said.
http://www.revengeofthebirds.com/2012/12/28/3810684/cardinals-vs-49ers-arizona-faces-colin-kaepernick-this-time
Vernon most likely out Sunday.

Holy s**t..No Vernon, No Justin, No Mario, No Hunter, No Williams. f**k me.
  • ace52
  • Veteran
Niners have to play as if their playoff lives are at stake.
I have a feeling the Vikes are about to shock GB. We have to do our part and beat AZ and grab that #2 seed.
Originally posted by SportsFan:

Time for the rookies to step the hell up. LMJ, AJ, Celek.....its go time.

Lions &Tigers & Bears... Oh my !
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran

Are you reacting to the "article" on the front page with that title?

If so, keep in mind that the author is just guessing.

I give it about an 8.5 on the "hack" meter. Probably felt he didn't get enough "hits" the first time he wrote about it earlier today.

I assure you that even if (and it's just an assumption), Davis will be 100% for the playoffs. -Even with 70% of our full roster ready for Sunday, we can still beat the Cardinals since we're also thankfully in our own house.

This will be an ugly, ugly win which will keep teams/people underestimating us again going into January.
[ Edited by SnakePlissken on Dec 29, 2012 at 12:08 AM ]
If this game turns into a blowout by the end of the first half do you think coach will rest Kaep and give Alex a chance to play?
Originally posted by NJNiner:
If this game turns into a blowout by the end of the first half do you think coach will rest Kaep and give Alex a chance to play?

Logically, I would think so for a couple of reasons: 1) to rest Kaep and keep him injury-free and 2) to showcase Smith's skills since many here think he doesn't restructure his contract to be a back up and is traded in the off-season.
Share 49ersWebzone