There are 258 users in the forums

Does Colin Kaepernick have the strongest arm in the NFL

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Does Colin Kaepernick have the strongest arm in the NFL

Brady has the strongest arm. Have you seen Brady Quinn's muscles?
I remember reading about Kyle Boller throwing like 60 yards while kneeling down.

Is he even in the league anymore?
Originally posted by susweel:
top 5

number one has to be Shaun Hill

followed by Jeff Garcia
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Kaep had a slightly stronger arm than Newton at the 2011 scouting combine. IIRC, Kaep could throw the ball at 59 mph. Newton topped out at 58 mph.

In anycase, the important thing is that his arm is strong ENOUGH to make pretty much any throw, I'm quite happy with that.

Yup. That and his accuracy when driving the ball deep downfield is impressive. Once he develops better touch and is able to loft certain throws over defenders he will almost be indefensible.
There was an interview with a coach who runs QB clinics and had worked with Kaepernick in the Chronicle a few weeks back. I forget his name, but he had worked years ago with Steve Bartkowski, who some people believe had the strongest arm in the history of the NFL. This coach was raving about Kaepernick's arm strength and said in the interview that Kaepernick was "in Bartkowski's territory."

We all know that the strong arm isn't enough. We all know that a QB needs to also throw with touch and have the right mental process. I have to say that both the touch and the mental process questions have now pretty much been answered regarding Kaepernick. Kaepernick is cool as a cucumber, he sees the field, he's accurate and he throws with touch when he needs to.
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
It'd be close between Cam Newton, RGIII, Vick (when healthy), and Kaep. All of them have a cannon. Newton is probably the only one I can see having a bigger arm than Kaep.

Kaep had a slightly stronger arm than Newton at the 2011 scouting combine. IIRC, Kaep could throw the ball at 59 mph. Newton topped out at 58 mph.

Didn't know that...thanks!

Both of them have ridiculous arm strength and it will be tough to say one has a stronger arm than the other. Both are ridiculously talented and gifted.

Where do you find that combine info? the combine stats are 40 yard time, bench press, Wonderlic score..... I've never seen where they compare the arm strength of the QBs.
Top 5 in arm strength and top 5 in speed.

Top 5 in veins containing Ice Water.
  • Jiks
Alex
Originally posted by MiamiNiner:
It'd be close between Cam Newton, RGIII, Vick (when healthy), and Kaep. All of them have a cannon. Newton is probably the only one I can see having a bigger arm than Kaep.

Didn't know that...thanks!

Both of them have ridiculous arm strength and it will be tough to say one has a stronger arm than the other. Both are ridiculously talented and gifted.

Where do you find that combine info? the combine stats are 40 yard time, bench press, Wonderlic score..... I've never seen where they compare the arm strength of the QBs.
Brees's 52 mph falls in the typically 50 to 60 mph speed recorded for a professionally thrown football and may have been a bit slow because of his focus on accurately hitting a target 20 yards away. "Sport Science" also clocked a pass by Colt McCoy of the Cleveland Browns at 56 mph. In the 2011 NFL Scouting Combine testing college players, Nevada's Colin Kaepernick registered 59 mph. Ryan Mallett of Arkansas recorded 58 mph, and Cam Newton of Auburn, 56 mph.Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/397904-maximum-speed-of-a-football/#ixzz2FL9eLWRd
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by nickbradley:
Originally posted by Ballistic:
why is Alex even included the poll?

Its kind of a joke answer

Please go back and eliminate the joke answer.

Originally posted by nickbradley:
Originally posted by nevadalove9ers2:
Been saying this for a long time. I have seen him throw quite a few times in person. Nobody throws a football like colin kaepernick!!

I really have no idea how he fell to the second round.

My question is how come Colin had only one scholarship from a D1 school?
He throws like a pitcher .. the nice thing is that most d.b.s cant catch fastballs like his. shoot he broke randy moss's fingers!! thats randy freakin moss's finger! looks like our WRs (especially mike "best hands ive ever seen" crabtree) have adjusted from alex to the CK touch!!
Originally posted by TinyHandsBigHeart:
Probably since JaMarcus Russel retired.

I wouldn't say he retired. More like ate himself out of the league while hiding behind Al Davis' Desk to keep his job.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Thorhawk:
Brees's 52 mph falls in the typically 50 to 60 mph speed recorded for a professionally thrown football and may have been a bit slow because of his focus on accurately hitting a target 20 yards away. "Sport Science" also clocked a pass by Colt McCoy of the Cleveland Browns at 56 mph. In the 2011 NFL Scouting Combine testing college players, Nevada's Colin Kaepernick registered 59 mph. Ryan Mallett of Arkansas recorded 58 mph, and Cam Newton of Auburn, 56 mph.Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/397904-maximum-speed-of-a-football/#ixzz2FL9eLWRd

Okay that clearly invalidates that somewhat... Colt McCoy does not have a strong arm at all and Newton clearly does... Yet they threw at the same 56 mph
[ Edited by Jcool on Dec 17, 2012 at 11:56 AM ]
Originally posted by TinyHandsBigHeart:
Probably since JaMarcus Russel retired.

Some people just can't let go. I'd say that since sports science has Kaepernick's speed at about 59 mph and Brett Farvre was at about 60 mph, it would be a lot more accurate (and a lot less demeaning to an incredibly talented young QB) to say "probably since Brett Farvre retired."
Share 49ersWebzone