LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 364 users in the forums

Colin Kaepernick has now established himself as the starter for the 49ers

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by verb1der:
Originally posted by Loco49er:
I never wanted Kaep to fail, I just didn't think he was ready this year. He proved me wrong last night and now I have plenty of crow to eat for the rest of the year (and maybe the beginning of next year too). I wanted the fairy tale ending with Smitty but now I realize that his time is officially over. I will continue to be a Smitty fan wherever he goes but Bust a Kaep is the present and future of the 49ers.

no need to eat crow...welcome to the end of the tunnel and to a whole new world

No, the crow needs to be eaten. Not because he was wrong, but because of the reasoning he had. How would he or anybody else know if Kaepernick was ready this year without seeing him play? It's just a regurgitation of the same nonsense these analysts have been spewing for ages - a young QB is never ready to play. They've all been proven wrong, yet they continue to say crap like that, which results in people hearing and believing them without ever seeing the guys play.
[ Edited by 49erRider on Dec 17, 2012 at 11:44 AM ]
Originally posted by fryet:
As a big Alex Smith fan, I have to now admit that CK has proven that he deserves to start for the 49ers for the rest of the season and through the playoffs. If CK had played poorly against New England, then there would have been doubts whether he gave the 49ers their best chance in the playoffs. However, he played well and led an offense that put up 41 points. No playoff game is going to be more difficult than what he faced tonight, and if he can beat New England on the road, then he can lead the 49ers in victory against anyone.

Congrats CK, you earned it.

Nice post! Agree too
Originally posted by 49erRider:
I never wanted Kaep to fail, I just didn't think he was ready this year. He proved me wrong last night and now I have plenty of crow to eat for the rest of the year (and maybe the beginning of next year too). I wanted the fairy tale ending with Smitty but now I realize that his time is officially over. I will continue to be a Smitty fan wherever he goes but Bust a Kaep is the present and future of the 49ers.

No, the crow needs to be eaten. Not because he was wrong, but because of the reasoning he had. How would he or anybody else know if Kaepernick was ready this year without seeing him play? It's just a regurgitation of the same nonsense these analysts have been spewing for ages - a young QB is never ready to play. They've all been proven wrong, yet they continue to say crap like that, which results in people hearing and believing them without ever seeing the guys play.

Eating crow really only applies to paid professionals who must eat their words, otherwise it's a bit overrated on a fan forum. I applaud Loco49ers post though, pure class. It takes a big man to admit they were wrong.
[ Edited by verb1der on Dec 17, 2012 at 11:49 AM ]
Originally posted by cciowa:
and with that wise much needed post,, maybe people can stop giving silly little shots to alex. he is down, he is not coming back so that should be good enough.

Agree cciowa! Alex has shown nothing but class this whole time. Taking shots at him at this point is just trolling.
Glad to see all the Alex fans finally waking up and smelling the napalm. Good riddance to the man.
Originally posted by 49erRider:

I will eat the crow but just to be clear, I formed my opinion after watching him play as the starter. I guess I suck at evaluating QBs, oh well.
  • Silky
  • Veteran
Pro's of Alex Smith:

Will not turn the ball over
Sustains long and methodical drives
Very good at audibles especially run audibles
Veteran leader

Con's of Alex Smith:

No big-play ability
Will take sacks rather than run or take chances
No big arm strength
Ceiling has been reached

Pro's of Kaepernick:

Very fast and adds that extra dimension
Big play ability
Incredible arm strength
Seems like he can read a defense very well
Very high ceiling

Con's of Kaepernick:

Will turn the ball over more than AS
Not as good at audibles
Very bad clock management
Sometimes goes stagnant in 2nd and 3rd qtrs
Not as much experience as AS

With all that being said, I choose Kaep because the sky is the limit. We know what we have in Smith, but I feel like we just scratched the surface with Kaepernick
  • Jiks
Originally posted by tohara3:
As a big Alex Smith fan, I have to now admit that CK has proven that he deserves to start for the 49ers for the rest of the season and through the playoffs. If CK had played poorly against New England, then there would have been doubts whether he gave the 49ers their best chance in the playoffs. However, he played well and led an offense that put up 41 points. No playoff game is going to be more difficult than what he faced tonight, and if he can beat New England on the road, then he can lead the 49ers in victory against anyone.

Nice post! Agree too

Not much more to say than that.
  • Jiks
Originally posted by zillabeast:
Glad to see all the Alex fans finally waking up and smelling the napalm. Good riddance to the man.

Glad to see you still hold your animosity. Weird.
Kap is gonna have a fun career here and i'm excited to watch it for the next 5 to 10.

Originally posted by ApatheticIAm:
Pro's of Alex Smith:

Will not turn the ball over
Sustains long and methodical drives
Very good at audibles especially run audibles
Veteran leader

Con's of Alex Smith:

No big-play ability
Will take sacks rather than run or take chances
No big arm strength
Ceiling has been reached

Pro's of Kaepernick:

Very fast and adds that extra dimension
Big play ability
Incredible arm strength
Seems like he can read a defense very well
Very high ceiling

Con's of Kaepernick:

Will turn the ball over more than AS
Not as good at audibles
Very bad clock management
Sometimes goes stagnant in 2nd and 3rd qtrs
Not as much experience as AS

With all that being said, I choose Kaep because the sky is the limit. We know what we have in Smith, but I feel like we just scratched the surface with Kaepernick
lol,

Looks like a disguised bash CK post
Originally posted by tohara3:

Nice post! Agree too

He just needs to stop throwing INTs on bad reads (which will come with experience) and learn how to handle the center exchange ... We could have easily had 6 turnovers last night and it would have been a much different game. But the kid played real well and made some throws that I haven't seen a QB on our team make in a decade. Hats off to him for a great win.
lol,

How do you figure? It looked like a pretty fair evaluation.
There is just no reason to knock Alex Smith. Alex Smith has been a tough, persistent, stand-up guy since he's started. He's gone through tons of adversity and stuck it out with the Niners largely because he is a man of character. And, he's a damn good QB. He's taken far too much grief around Niner world than he's deserved in my opinion. I will always be an Alex Smith fan. But, Colin Kaepernick has demonstrated that Harbaugh was correct about him. I think the Niners have a better chance of developing an explosive offense with him. Four touchdowns and 41 points in Foxborough on a rainy, freezing night should be enough to silence any doubt about him.
Originally posted by TinyHandsBigHeart:
lol,

How do you figure? It looked like a pretty fair evaluation.

Kaep has less Turn overs then smith

Kaep can sustain long drives..and has the 4th longest drive this year

clock management is about the same

both QBs have bad middle qtrs due to play calling
Share 49ersWebzone