LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 219 users in the forums

5 fumbles and a pick

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 80sbaby24:
The fumbled snaps criticism is so overblown its ridiculous. How many of the fumbled stats can you say are definitively his fault and not the centers (or shared faults)? ZERO. The weather conditions were miserable. I am not saying I am happy with the amount the ball was on the turf yesterday, but its certainly understandable given the weather.

If you want to make criticisms about how Kap needs to take better care of the ball and hold it against his body when moving in the pocket or scrambling, fine, I can totally get behind that. But for there to be a 20 page thread about his fumbles in freezing rainy conditions? Its a joke.

How many fumbled snaps did the rest of the league have combined yesterday? I'm sure more than our game had rain... I suspect that the Colin Goodwin exchange beat them all...combined.
The fumbled snaps criticism is so overblown its ridiculous. How many of the fumbled stats can you say are definitively his fault and not the centers (or shared faults)? ZERO. The weather conditions were miserable. I am not saying I am happy with the amount the ball was on the turf yesterday, but its certainly understandable given the weather.

If you want to make criticisms about how Kap needs to take better care of the ball and hold it against his body when moving in the pocket or scrambling, fine, I can totally get behind that. But for there to be a 20 page thread about his fumbles in freezing rainy conditions? Its a joke.

Notice how the fumble crap is only being overblown on this message board. I have not heard one NFL media outlet today that has not heaped praise on Kap and our team, not one of them is saying "oh my god , this guys the next Rex Grossman and his fumbling will cost the niners a superbowl" , honestly I havent heard anything close to that
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
is a botch snap considered a fumble ?

is shouldn't..imho

It is recorded as a fumble..and it shows up on the QB's stats not the center.

For the record, Harbaugh mentioned they adjusted the way that Colin was receiving the snap in game...and had him wear a glove. He said it seemed to help. He didn't make one mention of putting a glove on Goodwin or talking with Goodwin about it. Combine that with Colin's comment of saying itw as 100% on him...I think he was being more than a good teammate. With that said, I still think this is fixable...it's still a concern though.
Originally posted by Jakemall:

How many fumbled snaps did the rest of the league have combined yesterday? I'm sure more than our game had rain... I suspect that the Colin Goodwin exchange beat them all...combined.

Go ahead and count how many games were played in 35 degree weather in a constant downpour. I'll wait.
Originally posted by qwestlove94:
Notice how the fumble crap is only being overblown on this message board. I have not heard one NFL media outlet today that has not heaped praise on Kap and our team, not one of them is saying "oh my god , this guys the next Rex Grossman and his fumbling will cost the niners a superbowl" , honestly I havent heard anything close to that

Things like that get hidden in the news by the win..be assured if we had lost, there would have been a lot of talk about how they were all missed opportunities.

same here not one word about it...only a few peeps on the zone

Nope not one media outlet is saying that. Funny how fumbles that arent lost are overshadowing four touchdown passes on this board. Guarantee you that if it was Alex with the similar statline, people wouldnt be calling for his head because of the fumbles.
People keep mentioning the JUST the rain. How about the fact that is was two degrees above freezing? This makes it worst because it makes the ball crazy slick. there is a reason, why they adjusted by putting a glove on one hand.
[ Edited by Bay2Bay9erAllday on Dec 17, 2012 at 4:33 PM ]

Go ahead and count how many games were played in 35 degree weather in a constant downpour. I'll wait.

At least one qb played in the same circumstances....nice try to turn it around when I already put it on you :P Honestly, I couldn't look it up now if I wanted...work internet..amazing that I can even get here.
[ Edited by Jakemall on Dec 17, 2012 at 4:30 PM ]
Originally posted by Bay2Bay9erAllday:
People keep mentioning the JUST the rain. How about the fact that is was two degrees above freezing? This makes it worst because it makes the ball crazy slick.

Tom Brady didn't seem to have a problem.

The original poster recognized that Kaep played great but made a legitimate comment regarding turnovers. Why are people jumping down his throat? The bottom line is the QB is young and will make mistakes, as most young QBs do. He made mistakes in the Rams game, Dolphins game, etc. We had a great team win, our QB threw exceptionally well given the weather conditions, but ball security needs to be a priority come playoffs. It is a concern that he has thrown a couple of INTs off of misreads and has fumbled almost 10 times in 5 games. If those bounces don't go our way last night, we lose. I don't want to get bounced in the playoffs because of the QB/Center exchange.
Originally posted by Bay2Bay9erAllday:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Taking a snap from under center in the rain, much heavier rain to be exact. I am always comparing him and Alex and he is doing a lot of things Alex cant/wont, I just want a clean game from him. Chicago he was perfect IMO and played the best game so far....and I rank it top 3 in games this year. I just dont want to have to worry about something that should be automatic.

Just curious. What games would you rank top three(in order..most impressive being 1)?
Bills, Chicago, Arz

Things like that get hidden in the news by the win..be assured if we had lost, there would have been a lot of talk about how they were all missed opportunities.

As I said, it is being mentioned..but as a "look how he overcame it"...wins do that for you.

http://www.csnne.com/football-new-england-patriots/patriots-talk/Kaepernicks-triumph-didnt-go-as-planned?blockID=814493&feedID=3352

Because of the weather, Kaepernick fumbled four snaps from center. But he recovered all of them.

"Just a wet ball, mishandling it," said Kapernick. "One hundred percent my fault."

"Yeah, we were having some difficulties there," said Harbaugh. "We just kept working at it, talking about it. The ball was hitting and squirting off [Kaepernick]'s hand. He moved his guide hand, his left hand a little further to the right, and his top hand a little further to the right, and that helped."

Kaepernick didn't let the weather affect his mindset. He also didn't let his lone interception affect him much. After getting picked off by Devin McCourty when he tried to force one down the middle of the field early in the third quarter, Kaepernick showed his confidence driving the team down field to score a touchdown. Then he went right back to the same throw two possessions later, hitting Crabtree over the middle in between two defenders for a 27-yard strike and a touchdown that put San Francisco up 31-3.
[ Edited by Jakemall on Dec 17, 2012 at 4:33 PM ]

How many QBs over the past 10 years have outplayed Brady at home in December?
The 49ers didn't lose and if they did I would imagine that the defense giving up all those TDs in a row and Akers would have been the top culprits over the 4 bungled snaps.
Originally posted by midrdan:
The original poster recognized that Kaep played great but made a legitimate comment regarding turnovers. Why are people jumping down his throat? The bottom line is the QB is young and will make mistakes, as most young QBs do. He made mistakes in the Rams game, Dolphins game, etc. We had a great team win, our QB threw exceptionally well given the weather conditions, but ball security needs to be a priority come playoffs. It is a concern that he has thrown a couple of INTs off of misreads and has fumbled almost 10 times in 5 games. If those bounces don't go our way last night, we lose. I don't want to get bounced in the playoffs because of the QB/Center exchange.

Agreed. It's not a big deal to mention a legitimate concern. We're all fans here just trying to emphasize the point that we really hope to clean up all the little mistakes that you can't have in the playoffs if you want to make a legitimate Super Bowl run.
Share 49ersWebzone