LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 215 users in the forums

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS VS SEATTLE SEAHAWKS GAMEDAY THREAD (Week 16)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by LionHeartofGold:
Originally posted by leakyfausett:
Originally posted by truekingcarlos:
That's not true; not everybody is over the QB controversy. Just listen to the radio. If you watched the game objectively, you would have noticed the Defense was not able to get Seattle's offense off of the field. People should be looking at how poorly the defense played more so than the offense.

I never listen to sports radio, so I don't know what fans are saying on there, I think most of us here have accepted our coach's decision whether we thought it was the right call or not. Our opinion is irrelevant, what isn't irrelevant is our right to honestly analyze and critique our team, and the leader of our offense, the QB.

Kap failed to mount a comeback. He's played played mediocre to bad in 4 of the 6 games. Our run yards per game continue to drop due to his inability to read a defense and then call a play at the line.

There's tons of stuff to criticize him for. He failed miserably. Our defense struggled too, but frankly, had we been able to mount time consuming drives like we used to then they wouldn't have been so tired. We've cut our long drives in half since Kap came in.

I don't have any control over what anyone says in this forum. You can speak your mind freely, but so can I. If I see criticism, which in my opinion is premature and unwarranted, especially since it hasn't been nearly close to 7 years, I will voice my opinion. I don't agree from the perspective that you are coming from. You clearly expect Kaep to put the team on his shoulders, which is unrealistic given his inexperience and playing from behind situation (against SEA), which would have been difficult for ANY QB. His performance is more than what I expected from an inexperienced QB, but his performance in my opinion still tops the other guy. I disagree that you blame Kaep for the drop in run yards. That is a team influenced statistic including coaching. You can continue to pretend that other variables don't influence the game or Kaep's performance and blame him for the losses, but I will continue to dismantle those premature reactions. I haven't seen any mention of the Defense from you, which hasn't been performing as expected. Don't you think the effectiveness of a Defense can have any impact on the offense and QB play?? I rest my case.

Changed the offense totally after the Chicago game and yards per carry went down with this change. Why did he change the offense so late in the season. Did he change it for Kaep at the expense of the rest of the offense? If so then Kaep wasn't ready if not then why fix something that wasn't broke. Frank was averaging 6 yards per carry in the I formation following the FB with those awesome wham blocks from Walker. Now we run a gimmick college offense and the running game suffers. This is a running team you do not change the offense that much unless you expect the Qb to put the team on his back.

Good questions. To answer them, you have to be able to look at two things carefully. Are those changes based on a change in philosophy based on Kaep's skills OR are those changes game plan adjustments based on what has been or not been working during games? I happen to think both are the case, moreso the latter. You cannot run the ball if the runner is being stuffed at the line continuously. I think many fans are under the erroneous assumption that just because you choose to run the ball more, you will win. Nonsense. To win requires running the ball EFFECTIVELY. Gore was not able to penetrate Seattle's D line and so, common sense means you stop running into a brick wall. The running plays stopped in the Seattle game because we could not penetrate. The other thing that added to the "gimmick" offense was playing from behind. I would understand your concerns more if the 9ers started the game with gimmick play and abandoned the run early, but that's just not my recollection. Correct me if I'm wrong.

gore ran the ball effectively in the 1st game vs seattle
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
[ Edited by mayo49 on Dec 26, 2012 at 3:09 PM ]
John Boyle ‏@johnpboyle
Why is Okung a Pro Bowler? Seahawks have faced 10 players with 10-plus sacks, including Aldon Smith twice, allowing just 5 sacks to those 10
Originally posted by LisaTwelve:
John Boyle ‏@johnpboyle
Why is Okung a Pro Bowler? Seahawks have faced 10 players with 10-plus sacks, including Aldon Smith twice, allowing just 5 sacks to those 10

Originally posted by hofer36:
That's not true; not everybody is over the QB controversy. Just listen to the radio. If you watched the game objectively, you would have noticed the Defense was not able to get Seattle's offense off of the field. People should be looking at how poorly the defense played more so than the offense.

I never listen to sports radio, so I don't know what fans are saying on there, I think most of us here have accepted our coach's decision whether we thought it was the right call or not. Our opinion is irrelevant, what isn't irrelevant is our right to honestly analyze and critique our team, and the leader of our offense, the QB.

Kap failed to mount a comeback. He's played played mediocre to bad in 4 of the 6 games. Our run yards per game continue to drop due to his inability to read a defense and then call a play at the line.

There's tons of stuff to criticize him for. He failed miserably. Our defense struggled too, but frankly, had we been able to mount time consuming drives like we used to then they wouldn't have been so tired. We've cut our long drives in half since Kap came in.

I don't have any control over what anyone says in this forum. You can speak your mind freely, but so can I. If I see criticism, which in my opinion is premature and unwarranted, especially since it hasn't been nearly close to 7 years, I will voice my opinion. I don't agree from the perspective that you are coming from. You clearly expect Kaep to put the team on his shoulders, which is unrealistic given his inexperience and playing from behind situation (against SEA), which would have been difficult for ANY QB. His performance is more than what I expected from an inexperienced QB, but his performance in my opinion still tops the other guy. I disagree that you blame Kaep for the drop in run yards. That is a team influenced statistic including coaching. You can continue to pretend that other variables don't influence the game or Kaep's performance and blame him for the losses, but I will continue to dismantle those premature reactions. I haven't seen any mention of the Defense from you, which hasn't been performing as expected. Don't you think the effectiveness of a Defense can have any impact on the offense and QB play?? I rest my case.

Changed the offense totally after the Chicago game and yards per carry went down with this change. Why did he change the offense so late in the season. Did he change it for Kaep at the expense of the rest of the offense? If so then Kaep wasn't ready if not then why fix something that wasn't broke. Frank was averaging 6 yards per carry in the I formation following the FB with those awesome wham blocks from Walker. Now we run a gimmick college offense and the running game suffers. This is a running team you do not change the offense that much unless you expect the Qb to put the team on his back.

Good questions. To answer them, you have to be able to look at two things carefully. Are those changes based on a change in philosophy based on Kaep's skills OR are those changes game plan adjustments based on what has been or not been working during games? I happen to think both are the case, moreso the latter. You cannot run the ball if the runner is being stuffed at the line continuously. I think many fans are under the erroneous assumption that just because you choose to run the ball more, you will win. Nonsense. To win requires running the ball EFFECTIVELY. Gore was not able to penetrate Seattle's D line and so, common sense means you stop running into a brick wall. The running plays stopped in the Seattle game because we could not penetrate. The other thing that added to the "gimmick" offense was playing from behind. I would understand your concerns more if the 9ers started the game with gimmick play and abandoned the run early, but that's just not my recollection. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Which is why we had a more balanced game and a win. Gore couldn't do it against an improved SEA defense.

Which is why we had a more balanced game and a win. Gore couldn't do it against an improved SEA defense.
"We do more different things with Kap, as far as running the ball different," Gore said. "So I have to just be more patient with it. (I) don't know if I'm going to get it with the read-option game.

"You read the same thing. You read the same people. Some plays you don't know whether he's going to keep it or not."

On those plays in which Gore lines up behind Kaepernick in the "pistol" formation, Gore said he can't be as aggressive in hitting the hole because Kaepernick is reading the defensive end and might pull the ball from Gore and keep it himself on any given run play.

Statistically, Gore has not been as successful since the change at quarterback. In the six games in which Kaepernick took over as the starter, Gore has carried 98 times for 393 yards (4.0 average) and two touchdowns. In the first nine games with Alex Smith starting, Gore carried 140 times for 753 yards (5.4 average) and five touchdowns.

Straight from the horses mouth.

"We do more different things with Kap, as far as running the ball different," Gore said. "So I have to just be more patient with it. (I) don't know if I'm going to get it with the read-option game.

"You read the same thing. You read the same people. Some plays you don't know whether he's going to keep it or not."

On those plays in which Gore lines up behind Kaepernick in the "pistol" formation, Gore said he can't be as aggressive in hitting the hole because Kaepernick is reading the defensive end and might pull the ball from Gore and keep it himself on any given run play.

Statistically, Gore has not been as successful since the change at quarterback. In the six games in which Kaepernick took over as the starter, Gore has carried 98 times for 393 yards (4.0 average) and two touchdowns. In the first nine games with Alex Smith starting, Gore carried 140 times for 753 yards (5.4 average) and five touchdowns.

Hmm, then it looks like the coaches need to balance the play calls better and decide what type of offense is best for this team.

Hmm, then it looks like the coaches need to balance the play calls better and decide what type of offense is best for this team.

Agree. It seems like the coaching staff is experimenting with the offense which doesn't bode well for solid play in the playoffs. We should be fine tuning what they have been doing on offense since training camp not making a complete make over.

Agree. It seems like the coaching staff is experimenting with the offense which doesn't bode well for solid play in the playoffs. We should be fine tuning what they have been doing on offense since training camp not making a complete make over.

And I certainly agree with that point; if you are going to change the QB, you shouldn't significanty change the system. You might throw in a few gimich plays here and there based on Kaep's strengths, but not to a significant degree. But the funny thing is, I've heard players and coach say they have the same plays and system as when Alex was leading the offense. That didn't make sense to me. I wonder if that's just player and coach speak.

And I certainly agree with that point; if you are going to change the QB, you shouldn't significanty change the system. You might throw in a few gimich plays here and there based on Kaep's strengths, but not to a significant degree. But the funny thing is, I've heard players and coach say they have the same plays and system as when Alex was leading the offense. That didn't make sense to me. I wonder if that's just player and coach speak.
Yep don't rock the house. Just watching you can tell how very little we seem to be in our old base offense. I for one don't understand. Got to believe if it ain't broke don't fix it.

• mayo49
  • Veteran
Somebody close this sucker down.
Share 49ersWebzone