LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 305 users in the forums

Colin Kaepernick and the 'bug-eye', 'diamond', 'full house pistol

Shop Find 49ers gear online
There was good production put of that formation.

RB Carries: 8 for 36 yards (4.5 ypc)
Passing: 5 for 6 for 40 yards (6.67 ypa)
QB rush: 3 carries for 57 yards (19 yards per carry)

Keep in mind that was against a top 5 run defense. If kaepernick hits that throw to moss, these numbers are spotless
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Jreff, I like it, but like you, making major changes with a green rook is really foolish. Work on it next yr in Tc and PS.

Dont have time to wait. This formation can be broken down and defended easily. Its a big reason why the read option doesn't really work in the NFL. The D is too fast and smart to be fooled on a consistent basis. Taking away the TE and a 3rd option at WR and replacing them with RB's or a WR (Ginn) hampers the O. You are putting a WR in an unnatural position (see Ginn) or making a RB go out for a pass. Bring the CB's up to jam the WR's and have the SS play the next dangerous guy you can defend this easily. The problem is you keep the weapons bottled up in the backfield and run the risk of having inadequate personnel on the field for a decent audible. If they line up in this set say with Gore, VD, and James and motion out to a pro set it can work. But with Gore, Miller, and Tufuku (sp) you aren't fooling anybody. None are fast enough to beat a DB or most athletic LB's....might as well run the jumbo and get a -2 yard gain.

We are trying to get cute again with these formations and I dont like the cute s**t.

You guys make great points but I disagree with your stance. If you look around the nfl quite a few teams with athletic qbs are running some form or read option to take advantage by making the defense have to honor it every time. It's about keeping the defense off balance and making them react to us rather than vice versa. It challenges the defense mentally and when they get tired at the end of the game like last week, all it takes is one mental lapse by that LB or DE and we are gone to the house via rb or qb. I don't understand why you wouldn't want to have multiple looks to your offense. When you have fast athletic qbs you almost have to run some sort of read option otherwise you are not fully using your qbs talents . Look at Washington, shanahan never had any read option in his playbook until he got rg3, now his whole offense has been built on it and teams can't "easily" stop it. I would like to see them incorporate more pass into this formation, but I don't have a problem with them running it, it's not like we are dependent on it either, we can run out of just about any formation, but giving the defense more to think about and prepare for is never a bad thing
[ Edited by qwestlove94 on Dec 13, 2012 at 6:58 AM ]
Originally posted by RichnSanRamon:
Picture this: Bug-eye formation. QB pre-snap read is blitz w/man coverage behind it. Checks to play where players on both sides of QB flare into the flat. He picks one. Could be #23, #21, #46, #85...or #19. Most likely it would be 21 in traditional pistol position behind QB who would remain in the backfield to take on blitz. Flats would be open, putting #23 or #46 in space with the football, looking for them to make first guy miss and then off to the races.

The bug-eye is going to challenge outside linebackers with one-on-one matchups in the flat against whoever lines up on either side of the QB.

Sure it will for the same reasons the Pats putting Hernandez at the RB spot does. Forces LB's to find the RB(s) before covering him(them). It should be noted that this is the one weak spot in the 9er defense.
[ Edited by bzborow1 on Dec 13, 2012 at 7:23 AM ]
I would rather see the spread but anything to get away from the constipated jumbo package would be a welcome relief! Our OLinemen are fast enough to play in space for the most part, AD may have some issues but the rest wouldn't. Gore is a master of setting up blocks and seeing holes before they materialize so he would benefit. CK or Smith would be more effective.
This is just another wrinkle for D coordinators to consider, nothing more. Its the same as passes to olinemen, end arounds, read options, the extensive presnap shifts..etc.etc...

Everybody calls it "cute" when it goes poorly and "genius" when it goes well, but it comes back to the fact that we always add a hanful of things a game just to keep an opposing D on their toes. Some actually yield positive results in and of themselves and some dont, but they always serve the purpose: sprinkling in a few things that the enemy hasnt seen all that often to keep them on their heels.

Does it burn us now and then when Roman sends one of these plays in at the wrong time, sure...but the benefits extend far beyond the individual play and even beyond the game that they appear in, because once its on tape your oppenent has to spend at least a little practice time working on it and thats time not spent preparing for your actual gameplan.
I'd like to see the following personnel in the pistol package on the field. At WR, put in Moss and Jenkins to pressure deep and draw the safeties. In the backfield with Kaep put in VD and Walker. Then James at RB. The TE's can block on the move. You could send one upfield for a pass or both to the flats like someone mentioned. You could shift into a 2TE set or 4 WR.
If you try to hit one of the two WR's deep, you'd have two up people to pick up who our OL can't block. Of course you then have the usual run option with the speed of Kaep and James.
Reading back, I see someone else suggested the same thing already.
[ Edited by jobiwon on Dec 13, 2012 at 12:42 PM ]
I liked the game where Jon Gruden was the sports announcer..he was really impressed with all the formations, think it was that Bears game, that guy knows his stuff! Too bad he was a Raiders coach though. But cool he was an assistant with SF.
http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/thedailydolphin/2012/12/12/coaches-film-breaking-down-the-key-plays-from-the-miami-dolphins-loss-to-the-san-francisco-49ers/

PRetty good summary of some plays
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/thedailydolphin/2012/12/12/coaches-film-breaking-down-the-key-plays-from-the-miami-dolphins-loss-to-the-san-francisco-49ers/

loved this part

The Dolphins drop back into coverage, and one of the holes in the zone is one of the toughest throws in the NFL: The deep out, which requires a lot of arm strength.

Kaepernick zips it perfectly to Michael Crabtree 18 yards downfield in between the two defenders:

Nice!

My favorite:

I wish we would run the same offense we ran with Alex, but with deeper routes, and let Colin extend plays by using his speed .
Originally posted by SFTifoso:
I wish we would run the same offense we ran with Alex, but with deeper routes, and let Colin extend plays by using his speed .

If we still had Kendall Hunter, we would. The Bears game was the exact same offense, and it was explosive. But since Hunter is gone, and LMJ is a completely different ingredient, we have to adapt.
Originally posted by Ronnie49Lott:
We break down the 49ers use of the full-house pistol, "bug eye" formation in their win over the Miami Dolphins.

While the 49ers offensive philosophy is built around power rushing, the team opens the door to a wide variety of schemes and game plans within that broader philosophy. The team mixes up their formations and personnel packages week in and week out, as they game plan against their opponents' weaknesses and for the 49ers own strengths.

Amidst all the discussion about the QB position, and the concerns some have about the team's opportunities in 2012, I continually drift back to the idea that the coaching staff is working to figure out exactly what they want to do with all these new pieces. The addition of Colin Kaepernick as starting quarterback and LaMIchael James as backup running back has put the staff in a position where they need to figure out how they can mix and match these parts.

This idea scares some people, which is quite understandable. The 49ers got to the NFC Championship Game with a specific philosophy, and had gotten off to a 6-2 start this season. Although there was clearly downside to this philosophy, the upside was the idea of there being a certain steadiness to it.

http://www.ninersnation.com/2012/12/11/3755590/49ers-vs-dolphins-colin-kaepernick-and-the-bug-eye-diamond-full-house

could niners braintrust possibly made things more complicated on offense than they should be, with a resulting decrease in getting plays lined up and called on time, and more penalties..

have all the players adjusted well to the change in philosophy---remember last year vernon davis said he didnt really grasp the offense until the end of the season, could his recent play be an indicator that he istruggling with the new offense
How did this guy not get recruited heavily in HS?
Originally posted by Young2Rice:

this was a funny play...dude jumped in the air and fell flat.

Share 49ersWebzone