LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 265 users in the forums

Has Our Running Game Been 'Figured Out'?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Axl49:
Originally posted by Magzarillious:
Originally posted by pete98146:
Jenkins was open twice last sunday and I was screaming for kap to throw it deep. What good is a qb with big arm if he cant see it or know the play well enough to attack deep. VD was wide open on couple plays deep twice too. At least Alex attempted to go deep.

It's a good question. Wish our OL would give CK more time to deliver the long ball. Also wondering if Roman/Harbaugh have the handcuffs on Kaep purposely limiting his long throws....

^This definitely.
Im not saying Kap trash just like you guys said. He will get there BUT we too damn late in the season for that crap. Either he is or isnt cause teams like Pats, Seattle, GB and Giants in playoffs are not gonna care if he ready or not. Unleash his big arm. The deep balls are and were there last week and we have speedsters on the team AKA VD the biggest TE threat in the NFL yet we refuse to use him. Roman pisses me off more than he makes me happpy with his college plays when we need a big play the most.
a wise post. no one is knocking ck but some of use are just concerned because of the quality of teams coming up, how well others are playing and f**king stupid roman being unable or unwilling to use what ck does well in regards to his arm. i am just concerned cuz ck is still learning stuff and we may lose out on the division and playoffs because of it. maybe.
Originally posted by nickbradley:
Since the Arizona Game, the 49ers Running Game hasn't been as effective. Before that game, 49er RB and WR carries averaged 6 yards per attempt. Since the Arizona game? 4 yards per attempt. Excluding the particularly awful run game performance against St. Louis, we're still only averaging 4.3 yards per RB/WR carry since the Arizona game.

Does anybody have an explanation for this, other than everyone's got tape on us now and its a lot harder to run?

Here is the data - QB carries were excluded from the totals.

RB/WR Carries/RB/WR Yards/Average

Green Bay Packers 26/156/6.0
Detroit Lions 22/141/6.4
Minnesota Vikings 16/63/3.9
New York Jets 36/185/5.1
Buffalo Bills 31/223/7.2
New York Giants 13/69/5.3
Seattle Seahawks 23/165/7.2
Arizona Cardinals 28/107/3.8
St. Louis Rams 24/112/4.7
Chicago Bears 25/111/4.4
New Orleans Saints 25/117/4.7
St. Louis Rams 27/64/2.4
Miami Dolphins 22/102/4.6

through the arizona game niners had a qb who was adept at reading the defense and making the pay calls at the line of scrimmage
the Niners may not go as far this year because of the QB change. Or they could go farther because of the QB change. It seems to me Harbuagh is thinking the long term future for the Niners more than just this one season.
Originally posted by Magzarillious:
Guys he will get there, he hasn't played enough games in the NFL yet. Kap will start going through his progressions with more familiarity and figuring out what his read are.

Originally posted by cciowa:
the o lline pass protection was horse s**t last year, they did nothing to fix it other than to draft a kid with a broken foot,, it has been horses**t in all but two games this year. they have not shown any ability to fix it so we are just going to have to deal with it. does not exaactly fill me with confidence as we move forward in a crucial part of the year vs two very good defenses, on the road

Our offensive line and their lack of pass protection IS the weak link on the entire team. One thing that I notice is we are HORRIBLE pass blocking as a unit. Problem is that it's hard to pin point and put blame on one particular player.

I do know that most teams are bringing the farm and applying the blitz frequently. Yet it's rare to see Roman counter this with screen passes. It's as if the screen pass isn't in our playbook.
  • Axl49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by hofer36:
Since the Arizona Game, the 49ers Running Game hasn't been as effective. Before that game, 49er RB and WR carries averaged 6 yards per attempt. Since the Arizona game? 4 yards per attempt. Excluding the particularly awful run game performance against St. Louis, we're still only averaging 4.3 yards per RB/WR carry since the Arizona game.

Does anybody have an explanation for this, other than everyone's got tape on us now and its a lot harder to run?

Here is the data - QB carries were excluded from the totals.

RB/WR Carries/RB/WR Yards/Average

Green Bay Packers 26/156/6.0
Detroit Lions 22/141/6.4
Minnesota Vikings 16/63/3.9
New York Jets 36/185/5.1
Buffalo Bills 31/223/7.2
New York Giants 13/69/5.3
Seattle Seahawks 23/165/7.2
Arizona Cardinals 28/107/3.8
St. Louis Rams 24/112/4.7
Chicago Bears 25/111/4.4
New Orleans Saints 25/117/4.7
St. Louis Rams 27/64/2.4
Miami Dolphins 22/102/4.6

through the arizona game niners had a qb who was adept at reading the defense and making the pay calls at the line of scrimmage

What im saying. My friends and people are giving me slack because I want Alex to start. But its for reasons you guys mentioned. He knows how to read defenses, Knows the plays. Is smart which is key and doesn't make mistakes. He did beat the saints last year in shootout and did keep up with Manning. I just dont get logic for this year.
Originally posted by hofer36:

uh, dude? we ran poorly in the Arizona game. Alex smith was the quarterback. nice try.
What im saying. My friends and people are giving me slack because I want Alex to start. But its for reasons you guys mentioned. He knows how to read defenses, Knows the plays. Is smart which is key and doesn't make mistakes. He did beat the saints last year in shootout and did keep up with Manning. I just dont get logic for this year.

Alex played the Arizona game
lulz

still second in the league in rushing

sure has been figured out
Originally posted by ads_2006:
lulz

still second in the league in rushing

sure has been figured out

so our yards per carry has been cut by 1/3rd and there's nothing to explain it?

Some have blamed Kaep for this not audibling to the right run plays. I'm not sure how much I believe this though.

• cciowa
  • Veteran
i understand your point but i still think we are ok with the four headed monster of gore, ck, james and dixon. gore does need more than four carries in the first half in the next two games and our lineman can not run around holding everyone . oh be carefull when you bring up what you feel is a legit concern about our team. i did that today and got accused of inventing drama
Originally posted by InHarbsWeTrust:
Some have blamed Kaep for this not audibling to the right run plays. I'm not sure how much I believe this though.

Well the fact that the drop-off came before Kaepernick became the regular QB speaks volumes.
Actually on running downs and when the defense suspect a run, they key in on Gore and CK now, else they just def the med to long routes vs CK on passing plays. Thus CK only gets yards if it's a design QB read option run and the defense goes after the RB else on passing plays when CK sees no one open and runs, he is easily tackle now.
[ Edited by HOF49er on Dec 11, 2012 at 11:05 AM ]
Originally posted by cciowa:
i understand your point but i still think we are ok with the four headed monster of gore, ck, james and dixon. gore does need more than four carries in the first half in the next two games and our lineman can not run around holding everyone . oh be carefull when you bring up what you feel is a legit concern about our team. i did that today and got accused of inventing drama

The drop-off isn't as bad if you exclude the @STL game, that's a fact. If LMJ plays in that game, we replace the outside speed of Hunter.
Originally posted by HOF49er:
Actually on running downs and when the defense suspect a run, they key in on Gore and CK now, else they just def the med to long routes vs CK. Thus CK only gets yards if it's a design QB read option run and the defense goes after the RB else on passing plays when CK sees no one open and runs, he is easily tackle now.

the 50 yarder vs. STL? That wasn't a designed run!
Share 49ersWebzone