LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 347 users in the forums

Has Our Running Game Been 'Figured Out'?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Simple, if we can pass we MIGHT beat you. If we can run we WILL beat you, teams have picked their poison, and sold out against the run.
When they load the box you have to do quick screens and slants to make them back off. During the Rams game the db on the left side was playing off about 10 yards the whole game. I would have been throwing all my passes to that side until they changed. They are starting to get into that old run on first and second down and teams are ready for it. Thats when you use play action and do a quick pass a reverse or something to change it up.
Frank Gore says "Rick Flair chest slap double wooooooo!! woooooooo!!!
Originally posted by rudedog:
When they load the box you have to do quick screens and slants to make them back off. During the Rams game the db on the left side was playing off about 10 yards the whole game. I would have been throwing all my passes to that side until they changed. They are starting to get into that old run on first and second down and teams are ready for it. Thats when you use play action and do a quick pass a reverse or something to change it up.

Or an option play on your own goal line?
Originally posted by rudedog:

I'm surprised at the lack of screens in our offense. I think we have the o-line personnel to execute these plays, specifically for VD and LMJ (and Hunter before him). I'm all for down the field passing, but Brees was able to get most of his yardage the last few years through screens to Pierre Thomas and Darren Sproles. It's a wrinkle in the offense that would take a lot of pressure off of CK and Gire, but it seems like Roman is saving it for that exact right moment (that never seems to come).

The slant seems to be CK's pet audible call, specifically to Crabtree.
Not even close.....
  • Axl49
  • Veteran
Francisco churned out 155 yards and three touchdowns on only 28 carries versus a pretty stout Miami run defense.
Originally posted by PhillyNiner:
With the exception of the Saints, those are some very stout run D's ( yes even the Rams have good front 7). lets not forget that 4 yards per carry as an average is still more than respectable and bringing LMJ in to keep Frank fresh has already looked to be a big help. Despite the folks who seem to have decided the sky is falling and we suck all of the sudden because of a few shakey weeks...we are still first in rushing and looking good to stay that way through the rest of the season. I swear there are days I come in here and see more paniced people than a nuclear reactor meltdown.

Yes. but you know what's better than 4 yards a carry? 6!
You may stop Frank Gore for a run or two here and there, but there isn't a RB in the league that can top his vision, balance, and patience. He will get his yards, especially towards the end of the game.
Originally posted by Axl49:
Francisco churned out 155 yards and three touchdowns on only 28 carries versus a pretty stout Miami run defense.

A third of that was Kaepernick scrambling!

• Axl49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by goodthings19:
Frank Gore says "Rick Flair chest slap double wooooooo!! woooooooo!!!

• Axl49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by nickbradley:

A third of that was Kaepernick scrambling!

Isnt that why harbaugh is starting Kap.
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
You may stop Frank Gore for a run or two here and there, but there isn't a RB in the league that can top his vision, balance, and patience. He will get his yards, especially towards the end of the game.

Gore runs out of gas after 20 yards...
Isnt that why harbaugh is starting Kap.

No. He's better on third down. And has a better deep ball. and 1/8th of the price.

Kaepernick On 3rd and 4th down: 0.232 EPA/p on 56 plays. 6.6 yards per snap. Average yards to go: 7.65

Alex Smith On 3rd and 4th down: 0.018 EPA/p on 72 plays. 3.72 yards per snap. Average yards to go: 7.75
[ Edited by nickbradley on Dec 11, 2012 at 10:25 AM ]
Originally posted by nickbradley:
Since the Arizona Game, the 49ers Running Game hasn't been as effective. Before that game, 49er RB and WR carries averaged 6 yards per attempt. Since the Arizona game? 4 yards per attempt. Excluding the particularly awful run game performance against St. Louis, we're still only averaging 4.3 yards per RB/WR carry since the Arizona game.

Does anybody have an explanation for this, other than everyone's got tape on us now and its a lot harder to run?

Here is the data - QB carries were excluded from the totals.

RB/WR Carries/RB/WR Yards/Average

Green Bay Packers 26/156/6.0
Detroit Lions 22/141/6.4
Minnesota Vikings 16/63/3.9
New York Jets 36/185/5.1
Buffalo Bills 31/223/7.2
New York Giants 13/69/5.3
Seattle Seahawks 23/165/7.2
Arizona Cardinals 28/107/3.8
St. Louis Rams 24/112/4.7
Chicago Bears 25/111/4.4
New Orleans Saints 25/117/4.7
St. Louis Rams 27/64/2.4
Miami Dolphins 22/102/4.6

Interesting question. How does this data stack up against the rest of the NFL? Is this just a trend due to players, regardless of the team, wearing down as the season goes along?
Share 49ersWebzone