There are 208 users in the forums

Terrible effort every 3rd game??

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Why does it seem that our effort is so Lackluster every 3rd game played since the season started? 3 loses 1 tie....
  • sfout
  • Veteran
I expected a loss because of this lol. I dont know what it is but we can't play consistently good football for 3 weeks apparently.
Never been so disappointed with this coaching staff. I think Harbaugh and Roman called a terrible game. Kaep made 2 bonehead errors that cost us big time, but what about the dozens of other garbage play calls?

We couldn't establish the run all game long, and they did nothing to mix it up. Why not activate LaMichael James? It's no coincidence we had our worst rushing performance of the year after we lose our change of pace runner.

And don't even get me started on that series in OT. You're driving down the field with a chance to win, and then take your foot off the gas so you can kick a 50+ yard FG with a struggling kicker. Freakin' unbelievable.
Good defensive effort. Horrible offense.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
I think this is a learning experience for everybody. We'll rebound but we can't play like this and expect to advance in the playoffs.
Defense played lights out.

The play calling is horrible. They beat the s**t out of Gore for no reason.
vs MIA = W
@ NE = W
@ SEA = L/T
vz ARI = W

NFCDG? = W (<---if lucky to get #2 seed!)
NFCCG = L

• Veteran
Shouldn't continue in the playoffs.. Since it didn't happen in the preseason
Kap losing a game would not bother me if it were not for a few key facts; pre-smith concussion we 8-2 and Alex was having argubaly the best season of his career. Since then we basically have lost two games (a tie is a loss in my book), we got lucky and faced a Bears team with Jason Campbell as the starter, and Drew Brees has been OFF the past two weeks and we nearly lost that game. People talk about how Kap is more "explosive" than Smith and he adds another deminsion to the offense, yet we have maybe seen only "flashes" of this over the past 3 1/2 games. Every play Kap has made, I've seen Smith do it over and over again without turning the ball over. Kap has 0 passing tds, 1 rushing td, and barely has 300 yards passing, in 8 quaters (6 regular, 2 ot quaters) versus the Rams. Alex was 7-8, 72 yards, and a TD with blury vision. Kap already has 2 ints (could have easily been three if moss hadn't pulled that corner down) and a fumble, so at this rate no only does his play show to be less explosive but he's less efficent. The kid needs more work plain and simple, but the sad thing is Jim Harbaugh might be too stubron to admit/see this. Jim jumped the gun and made a mistake by putting so much trust in Kap.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 8008:
Shouldn't continue in the playoffs.. Since it didn't happen in the preseason

What?

• mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 24plus25er:
Kap losing a game would not bother me if it were not for a few key facts; pre-smith concussion we 8-2 and Alex was having argubaly the best season of his career. Since then we basically have lost two games (a tie is a loss in my book), we got lucky and faced a Bears team with Jason Campbell as the starter, and Drew Brees has been OFF the past two weeks and we nearly lost that game. People talk about how Kap is more "explosive" than Smith and he adds another deminsion to the offense, yet we have maybe seen only "flashes" of this over the past 3 1/2 games. Every play Kap has made, I've seen Smith do it over and over again without turning the ball over. Kap has 0 passing tds, 1 rushing td, and barely has 300 yards passing, in 8 quaters (6 regular, 2 ot quaters) versus the Rams. Alex was 7-8, 72 yards, and a TD with blury vision. Kap already has 2 ints (could have easily been three if moss hadn't pulled that corner down) and a fumble, so at this rate no only does his play show to be less explosive but he's less efficent. The kid needs more work plain and simple, but the sad thing is Jim Harbaugh might be too stubron to admit/see this. Jim jumped the gun and made a mistake by putting so much trust in Kap.

NFL, best reality show in the world, huh.
it is mental errors. Gore ran to the Ram 26 but a holding penalty on Joe Staley--it looked liked the Niners were on their way to an early 14-0 or 10-0 lead. The Rams D gained confidence, they have a good D line. Kaep didn't seem to look deep this game, I understand the pressure by the Rams but there had to be some plays to back the Rams off. Then in the second half Kaep had some errors---the safety and the toss to Ginn----he really is only in his 3rd start--mistakes will be made. I blame Roman for the play call on 3rd and 3.

Then in overtime it was getting too conservative and relying on a long Akers FG---playing not to lose leads to losing.

The other big thing was Gore needs more rest, the Niners really missed Kendall Hunter. You could see Gore fade as the game went on---James has to get on the field as does AJ jenkins--use your weapons!
I blame Delanie Walker for dropping a TD pass and then holding on the next play
Totally agree with Kendall Hunter being missed. I too could see Frank loosing steam. We should run the crap out of him going up the middle for "min" to no gains. Still don't understand that. Definitely was not aggressive this game as to the last couple. Ackers is snake bitten, so I look for him to be gone sooner than later. Man...that's a tough one to swallow. Does Alex get the start next week? Even though Kap didn't play too bad today.
I think part of it has to do with the fact that the coaching staff seems to be terrified of becoming predictable, and subsequently tries to reinvent the wheel every few games. What I suspect they think of as being "predictable" is what I'd call an identity, and when you're trying to avoid being something, you're not actively attempting to become anything.

For a while we were a team that ran the ball to set up the pass, then we sorta reversed that, at which point we went pass happy. Now we're trying to reinvent ourselves as some sort of mobile qb-centric offense that works from a moving pocket--I guess. It's hard to think of what we're doing in a sustained, systematic fashion. Taken as a whole, it just comes across as scatter-shot and schizophrenic, and I suppose it's why we look great one week, listless the next, hapless the following week.

At some point the coaching staff has to sit down and figure out what Harbaugh-era 49ers football is, because this schizophrenia stuff isn't cutting it.
Share 49ersWebzone