LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 258 users in the forums

What has happened to Carlos Rogers?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
I think he is doing OK in the role he has but he will be gone next year. Expect Trent to draft a CB fairly high

Not necessarily. Brown and Culliver are going to be a pretty good tandem, if they arent there already. I think we have more pressing needs. Depending on what we want to do with Goldson, S could end up being a weak spot. Whitner is a pro bowl type guy, but hes getting older. A DT to replace Sopoaga, or possibly a 2nd/3rd round G/C. They might also feel like another WR is a need.

Time will tell, but id put CB bit farther down the list.
Originally posted by Niners99:
I think he is doing OK in the role he has but he will be gone next year. Expect Trent to draft a CB fairly high

Not necessarily. Brown and Culliver are going to be a pretty good tandem, if they arent there already. I think we have more pressing needs. Depending on what we want to do with Goldson, S could end up being a weak spot. Whitner is a pro bowl type guy, but hes getting older. A DT to replace Sopoaga, or possibly a 2nd/3rd round G/C. They might also feel like another WR is a need.

Not that it really matters but, goldson is older than whitner
When the Eagles cut Nnamdi in the off season, we should sign him. He will flourish again under a good coaching staff and team.
Originally posted by Allx9er:

LOL wow. For some reason I thought he was around 30.

The worst part is Whitner isnt even a full year older than me. Now I feel old...

I still think we probably let Goldson walk, so we'll need a FS.
Originally posted by TinyHandsBigHeart:
He's a starter on a defense that is currently #2 against the pass. He can't be doing too bad.

This is true. he's also the slot cb which means he's got to cover both ways, that's a million times harder than having to cover less field. Besides not a true shut down cb in the league since neon left and with the way the game is won't be ever again!
[ Edited by TheGoldDiggerrrr on Nov 30, 2012 at 1:35 AM ]
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
All i know is T. Brown needs to be on Amendola this week.

Absolutely! Amendola owned Rodgers the last game and he's still playing hurt.........
Originally posted by Allx9er:

LOL wow. For some reason I thought he was around 30.

The worst part is Whitner isnt even a full year older than me. Now I feel old...

I still think we probably let Goldson walk, so we'll need a FS.

Goldson will get the tag. It is clear our GM and coach are trying to retain our own players.
why the hate? i dont think any cb could defend amendola in the slot without safety help.
our DBs are very good. Its hard to replicate what this D did last year. They are still solid
  • rum53
  • Veteran
The 49ers are using Rogers incorrectly by lining him up against slot receivers. I'm no expert on this, but I read somewhere that Rogers doesn't have fluid hips so he has trouble with shifty receives that can change direction.

Originally posted by rum53:
The 49ers are using Rogers incorrectly by lining him up against slot receivers. I'm no expert on this, but I read somewhere that Rogers doesn't have fluid hips so he has trouble with shifty receives that can change direction.

They put him there because he is a crafty vet with experience. Uses more film-study and the like to get a jump on receivers. Or so I've heard...
Originally posted by strickac:
I was blasted last year for saying he wasn't very good. He just was able to catch a few more balls for the Int. Without the Ints working for him, he looks like the same guy Wash had. We haven't had a great CB for a long time. If love to see us draft one early. Rogers has another year or so with us before his contract is ridiculous. We need some talent behind Brown and Culiver.

In Washington he was one of the best pass deflectors in the league. Ints tend to have a lot of luck involved (the difference between this year and last) but passes deflected is a solid coverage stat. He was much better than everyone thought he was in Washington.

This season though.... Culliver and Brown are in the top 30 in PDs. Rogers is 173rd.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2012/defense.htm
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
nothing, still a top CB.
a little older, a little slower
He's still a very good corner. Anybody saying he needs to be cut is out of their god damn minds! You can never have enough good corners on the roster. He struggled in two games this year against players that ALL corners struggle against when put one on one!! He was asked to do too much in those games and thats on the coaches NOT Carlos! The reason he was even put in that position is because of how well he played in that very same situation week in and week out all of last season and most of this season. I'm so glad NONE of you people are GM's for my beloved team because your knee jerk reactions would have ruined us by now!
Share 49ersWebzone