LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 271 users in the forums

Anyone else not happy with Sundays offensive performance?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I've been waiting for the 7 to 84 chemistry that everyone was harping about and the un-handcuffing of VD to continue. I guess those theories got debunked rather quickly.
[ Edited by paperplanemedia on Nov 27, 2012 at 8:16 AM ]
Originally posted by diablo:
If Brooks and Whitner were tackled short of the goalline and the offense scored on the short field would that have made you more happy?

Well said. Some people are never satisfied. Pretty annoying wouldnt you agree? Need to understand football and circumstances.
Any mention of the 2 missed FGs??

And if Brooks and Whitner dont take those INTs to the house we start in New Orleans territory and stand to score at least 6 points and likely more.

BOTTOM LINE: we led the entire second half and won the game, go 49ERS!!!!!!!
[ Edited by kush on Nov 27, 2012 at 8:34 AM ]
  • Buchy
  • Veteran
It's difficult to be objective on the game for some people it seems.

Was Kaep as awesome against NO as he was against Chigaco? No - but they are different games, we had the Bears' number.
On the other hand, he was very good against NO in a road game against a team that needed a win to keep their playoff dreams alive.

NO defense may be ranked 32nd, but what does Harbaugh say about statistics? They're for losers. The NO defense actually played very well, make no mistake. They were up for that game and desperate for a win and they showed it - "any given Sunday" applied in the game, and they were really playing at their peak, they were fired up.

As for the 2 picks, great play by the defense but arguing that if they hadn't happened we would have lost is just facile. As well argue about Ginn's punt fumble (as pointed out), or the poor call on Crabtree going to ground or the missed field goals by Akers when we were just running down the clock. On the Moss PI call to prevent the interception - well NO did the same and got called for it for a 10 yard penalty on a drive already stalling. May as well argue what if we'd made the pick.

We got a great result there against a good team who have turned around a poor start and had momentum, we did it on the road in the most difficult environment we'll have to face with a 2nd year rookie QB just starting who played incredibly well. What's there to be upset about or to take negatively?

Kaep played great, we didn't have to chase the game 31-21, we just ran out the clock and should have added 2 more field goals.
What if Alex didn't get five TOs from the defense in January?
Originally posted by monsterzero789:

Oh no, you had to go there. This thread will become like the rest. Thanks buddy.
Im disappointed that there were so many penalties that set the defense back. Gore scored a TD near the end of the game but was brought back because of a penalty and thats -7. A couple drives that were converted were stopped because of penalties also. If Ginn doesnt muff that punt the Saints dont score +7 and we have chance to put up some points. The offense didnt play bad but mistakes made it hard for them to flourish.
  • Jiks
And not hating again(sad I have to say that), but thanks NC. Where are our WR's? Moss 0 catches, Crabtree has 56 yards in two games, VD was held without a catch. This is one reason I was okay with Kaep. starting, is that I thought he'd get these guys involved a little more. He hasn't yet. Right? Maybe my expectations were far off, but I did expect him to maybe make some more explosive plays with these guys. Instead they only get a few looks.
Originally posted by paperplanemedia:
I've been waiting for the 7 to 84 chemistry that everyone was harping about and the un-handcuffing of VD to continue. I guess those theories got debunked rather quickly.

Yeah, why does every freaking post have to come down to Alex/CK? This question was about the offense and personally, I thought the game plan was rather poor from the start and this was the first game plan Roman knew from day 1 CK would be the lead. The bigger point is that this offense produced the same game plan and same stat line as any other game no matter who is the QB. Insert Brees, Manning, Brady, etc. this game plan does NOT change.

So for those who want an explosive offense within a conservative game plan, you are in for a rude awakening and this game proved it.
Originally posted by NYS49er:
idiots!!!! this prolific saints offense got to good scoring drives does anyone not remember the vd drop over the middle? do you ppl who "watched" the game remember the penalty killing drives!!! kap absolutely played lights out and coulda put up more than 17 points i mean we had a missed fg and a blocked fg instead of reading the box scores and coming up with your own conclusions watch a game

agreed! Dont forget the touchdown by frank at the end of the game that was called back for holding.

Originally posted by monsterzero789:

Oh no, you had to go there. This thread will become like the rest. Thanks buddy.

Lol because it hadn't already? Give me a break. People are knocking CK because our D played well which is silly. Our key to success will always be our defense no matter who is at QB.
Originally posted by diablo:
If Brooks and Whitner were tackled short of the goalline and the offense scored on the short field would that have made you more happy?

i dont think he would because that would have lead to short yardage scores
I was pretty annoyed with all the penalties while the game was close, reminded me of all the times in the past we should have won but let the other team stick around and eventually win. But that wasn't the case, the defense really stiffened up and slammed the door on Brees, like no one else in the NFL could.

Remember, the Saints' terrible stats are because of the beginning of the season, which they have not been playing like the past 6 games. They managed to knock off the Falcons, who were considered the supposed best team in the NFL. They needed to win this game and add to what happened in the playoffs last year, that was pretty much their super bowl so we were going to get the best they could offer.
Originally posted by NCommand:

Yeah, why does every freaking post have to come down to Alex/CK? This question was about the offense and personally, I thought the game plan was rather poor from the start and this was the first game plan Roman knew from day 1 CK would be the lead. The bigger point is that this offense produced the same game plan and same stat line as any other game no matter who is the QB. Insert Brees, Manning, Brady, etc. this game plan does NOT change.

So for those who want an explosive offense within a conservative game plan, you are in for a rude awakening and this game proved it.

The offense has averaged more yards per play in Kaep's starts than in any other game not including against those Gaudy buffalo Bills

Opponent - Yards Per Play (Yards Per Pass)

GB - 6.1 (7.3)
DET - 5.7 (6.5)
MIN - 4.8 (5.5)
NYJ - 5.6 (6.1)
BUF - 9.9 (12.4)
NYG - 5.2 (6.3*)
SEA - 5.5 (6)
ARI - 6.1 (10.7)

STL - 5.3 (6.3)

CHI - 6.5 (10.1)
NO - 6.7 (9.2)

* Kaep had about 30% of the passing yards in the NYG game while averagin 11+YPA
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
You're seriously playing the "what if" game???

Not really am I lying about turnovers when we are down 7 already? Is that a what if? 7 points in the first half? Can I ask something without getting jumped. Would you be satisfied with Alex if he only had 7 points at the half? I don't feel I'm being too over the top here. Again I'm not saying Kaep. played bad, but I think I am looking at this objectively.

True or false-Those were really poor plays? The interception, and the near interception? Am I wrong on that? What about the delay's of games? I can't be critical of that? Yeah, we had some excellent drives, but that shouldn't overlook certain mistakes that "could" be rather crucial later on down the road. That is a what if, but is this not a proper concern? You're not going to get away with these plays, playing playoff caliber teams. No matter whom the QB is.

I don't dislike Alex so don't accuse me of that and don't look at my post through that prism. I'm saying, anyone can go back and look at ANY game with ANY QB and say "well, what if this and what if that..." and it can be done regardless of the "side" you're on. Like this:

What if we're down 14-7 and Kap rallies the team in the 2nd half to a huge win?
What if those penalties or drops don't take away those big plays?
What if Moss runs more of a back-shoulder route and catches that pass?

My point is clear. When you're playing in the "what if" sandbox, it just depends on your agenda.
Share 49ersWebzone