LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 143 users in the forums

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS VS ST LOUIS RAMS GAMEDAY THREAD (Week 13)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Akers has been a better friend to Alex
  • SaksV
  • Veteran
If I understand correct, doesn't the pocket only extend 10-15 yards behind the line and from tackle to tackle? If that's the case, he was out of the pocket and the refs messed the call up.
Originally posted by ElDannMann:
Originally posted by KID9R:
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by keeferr75:
If refs knew the safety rules niners win.

I think the refs knew the safety rule and called it correctly.

WHAT!!!!!! The ball made it passed the line of scrimmage, and they didn't even review it

Kaepernick was still inside the tackles.

That's not what the refs called.. They said the ball didn't make it past the LOS
  • Baldie
  • Veteran
Originally posted by PTulini:
Regarding today's 49ers-Rams game:

1. In my opinion, Colin Kaepernick should remain the 49ers' starting QB.

2. I'm putting the blame for this loss solely on OC Greg Roman!! What was Ted Ginn doing in with the offense? WTF was that play? What was Roman thinking?

3. As for that intentional grounding call that resulted in the safety, Mike Pereira said during the game that it was a bad call.

4. David Akers failed again.

I think that Greg Roman's play-calling was too conservative.

Are you seriously blaming the play for the fumble? The play was an option read. Completely on Kaepernick. He should've known not to make that pitch, especially 3 feet over Ginn's head. Personally, it's a good play call in that given situation. Giving Ginn the ball in open field is never bad. However, Ginn was blanketed, causing the bad pitch. Horrible decision by Kaep.
The thing is with his inexperiences, we might have to see more plays like this that could cost us games. Forget about the wins in NO and against Chicago, we have big games against NE and Seattle coming up.

If we make the playoffs as a wildcard, was kaep still the right decision? Seattle beat Chicago today, so they are not far behind.
Originally posted by sdaddy101269:
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Originally posted by 2000sooners:
Originally posted by Loco49er:

Kaep should know better than to run 15 yards backwards into the endzone!

True! safety or not he shouldn't have did that lol
what should he have did in that situation?

He should have did done a step up into the huge pocket and stood tall waiting for a receiver to come open! That what he should have did!

There was a blitz coming from the middle so he had to roll right.

No, that doesn't happen with our line. Sacks are the QBs fault for not standing tall and keeping eyes down field. (Dear reader--this is an example of sarcasm--thank you).
  • KID9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by KID9R:

WHAT!!!!!! The ball made it passed the line of scrimmage, and they didn't even review it

Kaepernick was still inside the tackles.

Are you on glue? Go watch it again, he was way outside the tackle box!! And the refs said when calling the penalty "that the ball didn't make it back to the line."
Roman should have spread that defense out the entire day, Fisher didn't bite on any of our packages, and stacked the box, and sent 4-5 guys each time (funny thing is that he didn't even change his gameplan from the last game, same stunts worked as they did 3 weeks ago).

Marshall Faulk was NOT kidding when he said that it didn't matter WHO started, we were gonna be running the same sorry ass conservative offense as before (Fisher knew it, too). -Some calls were aggressive, but the base gameplan did not utilize kaep's abilities one bit.

Kaep made a few of 'boner' mistakes, but it's pretty hard to win games when every great play is either called back, or the receiver doesn't catch an easy ball in space. -Also doesn't help that our most dangerous outside runner was out.

We better get used to this, the Rams will be a pain in our asses for the coming decade, no matter our success.
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
Akers has been a better friend to Alex

LOL...yes, I was thinking about writing a short history of the 9ers (last two years) using every conspiracy theory imaginable--Goodwin's low snaps, Crabtree badmouthing Smith, race, Harbaugh versus Baalke for control of the team, J Smith tired of A Smith getting all the sacks, Williams and Hunter pretending to be injured so they wouldn't have to play with Kaepernick...so many possibilities! And some of the just may be true!
Originally posted by 2000sooners:

if the refs knew the safety rule then they didn't call it correctly how do u explain your comment!

The safety is correct. Good call by the refs, in my opinion. I'm not even sure Kaepernick got out of the tackle box.

not trying to argue but it showed that he was outside of the tackle and being that the ball went atleast two yards past the line of scrimmage that wouldn't be a safety would it? I know the game is over and its the past I am just trying to figure this out!
Originally posted by dj43:
Eric Davis noted on the radio that the 49er receivers were running 12-15 yard patterns instead of the 8-10 yard patterns in previous games. This was forcing the OL to hold their pass protection blocks longer, which they were not able to do consistently. Davis also noted the Rams disguising their coverages until just as the ball was snapped. All of this put more pressure on Kaepernick and he was having trouble reading the defenses and then trying to find receivers after being forced out of the pocket.

It is usually not a good thing to make major changes in the middle of a season unless something very bad has happened. In this case, it looks like too many changes all just for the sake of change. Lotta blame has to go on the Harbaugh for this one. He put an inexperienced young player in a situation with a changed offense and the result was almost predictable.

Thanks for this. Davis calls the games and obviously understands football. Interesting to hear we ran deeper patterns than we normally do. You could definitely tell at times Kaep was having trouble finding the open man.

Even so, he still completed 21-32 for 208 yards and ran for an additional 84 yards. I still think Harbaugh has made the right call by sticking with him. Kaep is the superior player to Alex IMO, and he will continue to improve.

Hope Roman takes a college job somewhere at the end of the season and somehow Norv Turner ends up back with the 49ers as OC.
The receivers not catching the ball did not directly contribute to our loss, they directly contribute to us punting the ball. What does directly effect the game is handing the Rams 10 points on two boneheaded plays. I guess we'll see if the "hot hand" comment was true or not.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Hope Roman takes a college job somewhere at the end of the season and somehow Norv Turner ends up back with the 49ers as OC.

Norv Turner???
I can't believe people are trying to defend CK despite his enormous part in losing this for us.

If Alex commits two turnovers/mistakes that gave up two Rams scores, he'd be crucified by a lot of fans here. WE DON'T HAVE TIME NOR DO WE HAVE THE LUXURY to "wait and find out" if this was just an isolated horrendous game by Kaepernick, or instead if he's actually been figured out by opponents and/or isn't ready just yet.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Play calling was and has always been a consistent issue of this team. Its our Offensive Coordinator who is our weak link....

I said it almost all last season that Roman is not a quality offensive coordinator and I got crucified for it all the time. Roman is our weak link, so much so that the play that defined our 2011 season was created and called by our QB coach, not our Offensive Coordinator! Geep Chryst was directly responsible for the creation and timing of the Vernon Post. He drew it up during the week and it was him who remembered that Roman likes to stand flat footed on the goal line when were in the red zone so he ran to Jim and told him that we had to run that play.

I can only hope Roman leaves for a college job and we hand the reigns over to Chryst or even Rathman.....
Share 49ersWebzone