There are 164 users in the forums

Will Moss be more of a factor now that C.K. is starting?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Will Moss be more of a factor now that C.K. is starting?

Originally posted by PatrickWillisHOF:
Do you guys think that Moss start catching more passes and stretching the field now that we have a QB who can throw the deep ball?

Great question. Considering Colin does have more passing capabilities, it would seem like Moss will be used more. I sho'hope so.
  • rdc1
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dj43:
Depends entirely on how the defense chooses to cover. The Bears were very predictable in coverage with only a single safety deep much of the time. Weak as the NO secondary is, I doubt they will make the same mistake Chicago did.

Chicago stuffed the first couple runs. It was only after they starting getting torched deep that the running game opened up and the 49ers started getting the 10-15 yard runs. If NO keeps more back to protect against the deep pass, the more open the running game becomes.
Originally posted by taney71:
I believe Montana built a dynasty off of throwing to a RB in the flat and slants to WRs. Long throws were not what the west coast offense was built on. Only with YAC did we really get long TDs. Only in the early 1990s did the West Coast offense start to change and use longer passes but even then the slant and throwing to the RBs were the staples.

+1
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by KaepBay510:
YES. Alex Smith was not the QB for Randy Moss. I've wanted Kaepernick to be the starter ever since he took that chane vs NYJ and heaved the ball into triple coverage. A.Smith flat out does not have the balls to even try a pass like that. The Niners didn't even need Alex in that game. They could have won with Tolzien starting. Alex threw for a measly 143 yds and ZERO tds VS one of the NFLs worst defenses. Games were beginning to get rather boring with Smith under center. Kaepernick has breathed some life back into this season. Fans no longer have to sit through 100 yd passing games. Kaep not only will gt Moss more involved, but the ENTIRE recieving corps as well. Teams aren't going to stack the box against the 9ers anymore, which will alow Frank Gore to run free. No more checkdowns for losses or no gains. One bomb the whole year to Randy is despicable. Can't believe I have been reading comments calling Harbaugh's decision to start Kaep "terrible". Alex Smith did not LEAD the 9ers to an NFC title game appearence. The Defense did. 5 turnovers vs the Saints allowed Alex Smith to have the game of his life. Remember when Mark Sanchez "LED" NYJ to 2 consecutive title game appearences? It does not take a great QB to lead his team to a NFC/AFC championship game. It takes a great QB to win a Superbowl. Something I started to doubt highly after the games VS Minnesota,NYJ,NYG,and Seattle. Alex Smith was this teams weakest link by far. How many contending teams can say thier QB is the weakest link? ZERO. You heard Vernon say it, "Kaeps the MAN!!"
smith is a good guy, great team mate and solid nfl starting quarterback. i do not read much into player comments after a game when they are caught up in the emotion,, the players like both guys and unlike joe vs steve we have no lockerroom issues and both quarterbacks have handled this with class and dignity. i am also done discussing last year and who led what and whom to the nfc title game, alex played a big role, he was doing a good job and we were in first place with him at the hel,m. he gets hurt, the kid makes the most of his opportunity and now I really really want and need to see how he plays in a situation sunday which is 100 per cent different than mondays comforts of home. if he plays well and wins, fine, I like whoever our qb is cuz i am not in the ck vs smith camp. i like both, i have always liked smith but i like both and am confident in both. if ck pulls a troy smith sunday you can put alex back in, we continue along and probably win the division anyway.. its a no lose thing for us i think,,, again unlike joe vs steve who used the media and other teammates to push thier agenda we do not see that here and i am very happy about that
KaepBay, I don't want to insult you but it's just silly to say that the one throw that convinced you that Kaep should be the starter was the one into triple coverage. The deep throws have a low percentage of being made. Even the "best" qbs in the league miss on more than half of those throws. This is a huge problem with the NFL today, it's no longer about winning, but about putting up yards. Yards, yards, and more yards makes you the best qb even if you throw a plethora of picks and lose a bunch of games.

Kaep played well and I believe he might have earned another chance against the Saints, personally I would give the job back to Alex for the rest of the season and have an open qb comp this offseason.

I believe Randy will have similar production from when Alex plays. I think the rest of the receiving corps will benefit the most. Kyle Williams is a great receiver, so underrated. Crabs is just tearing it up, perfect receiver for the WCO, with his YAC. The problem is that with every 100 yard receiver and 350 yard qb, more and more picks start to pile up. Only two QBs i've seen that pile on yards without piling on picks, Brady and Rodgers. I don't think we can make a claim that Kaep is at that level, yet.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jvangeystel:
KaepBay, I don't want to insult you but it's just silly to say that the one throw that convinced you that Kaep should be the starter was the one into triple coverage. The deep throws have a low percentage of being made. Even the "best" qbs in the league miss on more than half of those throws. This is a huge problem with the NFL today, it's no longer about winning, but about putting up yards. Yards, yards, and more yards makes you the best qb even if you throw a plethora of picks and lose a bunch of games.

Kaep played well and I believe he might have earned another chance against the Saints, personally I would give the job back to Alex for the rest of the season and have an open qb comp this offseason.

I believe Randy will have similar production from when Alex plays. I think the rest of the receiving corps will benefit the most. Kyle Williams is a great receiver, so underrated. Crabs is just tearing it up, perfect receiver for the WCO, with his YAC. The problem is that with every 100 yard receiver and 350 yard qb, more and more picks start to pile up. Only two QBs i've seen that pile on yards without piling on picks, Brady and Rodgers. I don't think we can make a claim that Kaep is at that level, yet.
agree one great throw is not a gauge of who a starting quarterback should be.. i think jim drunkinmiller threw it a long ways one time. do not make my comments into anything more than a simple agreement with jv. i like both guys,, i think we do not do wrong by starting either one sunday. i had thought alex deserves the start sunday but based upon the fact i want him one hundred per cent healthy and based on the fact i REALLY REALLY want and NEED to see how ck does in a spot which is much different than monday ,, i am ok with ck getting the start sunday. if he blows, alex can come in, if activated, save the day and we continue along and probably win the division. if ck can win in that place then he continues and we probably win the division anyway. pete carroll must be very upset today
Every receiver will become more of a factor, but Moss especially. I'm sure Moss is pumped to play with Kaep.
  • dj43
Originally posted by zillabeast:
Originally posted by dj43:
Depends entirely on how the defense chooses to cover. The Bears were very predictable in coverage with only a single safety deep much of the time. Weak as the NO secondary is, I doubt they will make the same mistake Chicago did.

No. They will make worse mistakes. It's up to Roman to exploit them, too.

My point was that I do not believe Steve Spagnuolo will leave only a single safety in deep coverage after seeing how the Bears were burned. If Roman is to exploit that defense, he will do it more with the run than with deep throws to Randy Moss.
  • dj43
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
No. Randy had only one catch Monday. I think the results will be little more than marginally/insignificantly higher.

Agree.
  • Ether
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by taney71:
Our fan base seems to have based their assessment of good QB play and offense on Madden. Ugh.

These Madden jokes are not only old, but dumb. Please explain how an 80-yard bomb has anythimg to do with Madden's video game. Are you insinuating no QB has ever thrown a bomb with success?

Just stop.

Because an 80 yard bomb is not a play that is expected to be completed week in and week out. How many 80 yard bombs have you even seen complete this season? Even last year when Welker had a 99 yarder it was 90 yards after contact.

only if there is triple coverage
  • dj43
Originally posted by zomg_its_ryan:
Every receiver will become more of a factor, but Moss especially. I'm sure Moss is pumped to play with Kaep.

How can you say that? Kaepernick and Harbaugh said the game plan was the same regardless of whether Smith had been able to go or not. ALL of the throws Kaepernick made were the same as Smith has made in the past. The only difference was that Kaep's were with a little higher velocity. The short to medium throws have always been in the game plan. Smith completed those same throws at a league-leading frequency.

The two deep throws to Davis and to Williams are throws Smith has made before. The only difference in this game compared to others was that Chicago committed their FS to the LOS about 80% of the time, thereby leaving the deep throws open. Other teams did not do that in the same frequency as the Bears.

The 49ers have come out throwing in the past although Harbaugh's preference has always been to run. The fact the 49ers opened with passes was part of the same game plan as if Smith had started.
Originally posted by is3fifty23:
I want to see a 80yard bomb to moss

This is what I want
So long as we win who cares
Nope
Share 49ersWebzone