There are 164 users in the forums

Week 11: Thoughts after rewatching the game (twice)...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
That was fun.

1) Alex Smith/Colin Kaepernick: Since Smith didn't play, I'll forgo the regular tally numbers in favor of what will now be a full blown QB controversy in SF. I watch alot of Football. I haven't missed a 49ers game since 1988. I've seen alot of things...but I've never been as shocked as I was watching Kaep play the way he did last night. I have always really liked the kid, but I still thought he was too raw. This isn't a building team where you can bring a player up through his growing pains. This is a team trying to win it THIS year. This isn't a starter playing very poorly and the backup coming to the rescue (See Smith, Troy). This is the third highest rated passer in the NFL watching what just might be an arrival of the NFLs next superstar. I'm not usually given to get into they hype. I'm usually much more measured...but Kaep opened my eyes last night. I still don't know if he starts, but there is now no question in my mind that it isn't a question of if, it's a question of when he takes over the starting position. Make no mistake tho...it's not always going to be like last night. Kaep is going to struggle at times and he is going to turn the ball over. It was just one start and alot of players have looked really good for one game, but the accuracy with which he threw the ball, the calmness in which he played, and the way he was able to find his second and third recievers wa sincredible for a second year player on Monday Night Football against THAT defense. I think the consussion gives the 49ers an excuse to give Kaep a second start. If he plays anything like he did last night, I think that's all she wrote. My only hope is that the 49ers can keep Alex as a backup next year, but I doubt it. He has surprised me before tho.

2) Aldon Smith: Excuse my language but Holy Sh*tballs Batman!! That...was freaking amazing. He had 5.5 sacks and was pulled from the game with 9 minutes left. Justin had alot to do with helping him get free, but he had a bullrush last night that was a sight to behold. Un-freakin-believeable. Again...usually not given to getting caught up in the hype, but after searching for 2 decades, we may have found a guy BETTER than Charles Haley. He has a shot at the single season sack record. I honestly don't think he's gonna do it because he's gonna see 3 guys on him now, but he has arrived in a BIG way.

3) Navorro Bowman: OK, running out of adjectives here. WOW. All over the field. I dunno if it's scheme or what but he is outplaying Patrick Willis right now. I think Patrick spends more time in coverage and Bowman is typically closer to the line of scrimmage and that may be why Bowman falshes more often, but the simple fact that I even have to say that to DEFEND Willis is ludicrous. Just look at these LBs right now. These guys are better than the Saints Dome Patrol. Poor Ahmad Brooks is playing VERY well and he's just the 4th LB nobody talks about. These guys are downright historic....Aldon, Patrick, Navorro, and Ahmad. I need a poster to put on my wall.

4) O-Line: Another game, another team mauled into submission.

5) Justin Smith: In a way I almost feel bad for him even though I know he really doesn't care. He's getting to the QB. He is playing like a man posessed in the run game...he just never gets the numbers. Aldon is always a step ahead of him. Justin just created havoc on the line.

6) Offensive Gameplan: I love Greg Roman. I think he's gone after the season because he'll be a head coach somewhere. The Bears didn't have a clue what was coming next. I've been saying this for 2 years now. The 49ers are innovating in the run game. This isn't just a conventional running offense...this is game changing. This is the kind of stuff that is going to be replicated throughout the league. Sometimes tho it can be ugly...you end up with significant losses if it deosn't get blocked correctly, but when it hits, it hits BIG.

7) Crabtree: Not a huge night, but looked very good on only a few catches. He's been a monster after the catch in the past month. He's really looking like the guy we all thoguth he was a Texas Tech.

8) Vernon Davis: Welcome back Vernon. ;-)

9) Frank: Looking like a much younger player lately. Maybe he's finally gotten all the way back after the bum hip last year...I dunno, but he just has juice in those legs that I haven't seen in a few years. I don't know how much longer he's gonna be around, but if he keeps playing like he is now it's going to be for awhile.

10) Attitude: When the Niners get upset and fired up, they are a thing to behold. I don't know why, but from time to time they just seem to come out flat. When they are flat they get beat by the Vikings, get blown out by the Giants, and tie the Rams. When they come out fired up they beat the living hell out of their opponent. Every win this year has been an a$$kicking (outside of Seattle). The Packers game shouldn't have been that close...the Pack got a free BS score to make it close. The Lions were getting throttled until the very end. The Jets? The Bills? The Cardinals? The Bears? In those 4 games they outscored their opponents 135-13. It really is a thing to behold. This is why I can't wait for the playoffs. They WON'T come out flat in January.
Welcome to the light lol
I loved watching this defense light up Campbell down after down he's lucky he ran into Rogers in midfield and not Goldson
One thing that made actually laugh out loud was that 3-card montey shift on the first half running play. I believe Gruden called it a carosel. You could see the Bears D panic as 3 guys in the back field run around and circles and settle in completely different spots just before the snap.
  • fly15
  • Veteran
we saw some really good and long passes
Great analysis, as always.

One thing to add on Justin Smith. I think he is the NUMBER 1 reason as to why this defense as a whole is so unselfish. He sets the tone. He doesn't get any stats, but his motor is running the hardest every week.
dude did u really already watch it twice again?
bro that has to be time consuming lol but thanks for the threads good reads.
Originally posted by 99problems:
dude did u really already watch it twice again?
bro that has to be time consuming lol but thanks for the threads good reads.

I was up till 3 AM.
Of all the things I've seen this year, the thing I've been most excited by is Crabtree's development as a YAC monster. He's never going to get the love from outsiders, and maybe even some Niner fans, because he doesn't put up the huge numbers because of our scheme and the amount of weapons this team has. But he's developed into a dependable #1 receiver that we've needed.

His best quality this year is how good he's been on 3rd downs. Go to guy.

I'm gonna rub this s**t in my co-workers' faces
Excellent read. There are a few things I want to comment on. Frank Gore's ability to read blocks and find yards when seemingly there are no yards there is amazing. This guy just keeps on keeping on. I want to know where are the posters that have been claiming that Gore is done. I'm glad we have the luxury of Gore, Hunter, and even James for the next two seasons.

Now onto the Colin Kaepernick situation. I too, knew he had a lot of ability and figured he had the skills to be a great QB. I actually expected to see some of that last night. I also expected him to have some bad plays. But for CK to come out and put a complete game together like that in his first start and get Vernon Davis involved early, which is what any team with a great play maker should do, was a thing of beauty. I actually expected Randy Moss to have a big game because I figured CK would be less hesitant to throw the ball into tighter windows and would take more shots downfield. Not much from Moss, but the other predicitions held true. However with that said, we also have to remember Matt Flynn balled out for one game as well and NFL coaches don't have much film on CK yet. Now is not the time for us to go through the certain growing pains he will have when we have a starter that was playing pretty great himself. If CK is going to take the job, he can do it in 2013 or 2014 (Smith's last season under contract).
thanks for the review
Best statement in your review...

"Kaep is going to struggle at times and he is going to turn the ball over. It was just one start and alot of players have looked really good for one game, but the accuracy with which he threw the ball, the calmness in which he played, and the way he was able to find his second and third recievers wa sincredible for a second year player on Monday Night Football against THAT defense."

I'll try not to have high hopes, but the deep passes Kaep threw (i.e. K. Williams, etc.) was beautiful...something I enjoyed seeing last night. I still think AS is the starter, but it's hard not contemplating resting him and going with CK again next week.
Beyond Kaep, and Aldon's insane showing last night was Navorro Bowman... when I saw him run 80 yards up the field on special teams to 'truck f**k' Hester, I literally s**t all over my f**king balls. -Last player I saw saw do something similar to that was Patrick Willis (when he chased down that Cardinals WR in his week one rookie start on MNF), it's just unreal.
Share 49ersWebzone