LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 159 users in the forums

Mock draft for depth

• DVDA
  • Veteran
This draft is based on getting a lot of depth with future potential since there aren't any major holes on the roster right now. Also, this is long so please don't quote the original post, everyone knows what you're responding to.

Remaining free agents
QB Alex Smith
This one just got finished.

G Geoff Schwartz
One year deal for Schwartz to prove himself and land back on the free agent market next year while the team's young offensive lineman develop.

Draft
Trade 1st round pick for mid 2nd and 3rd round picks
Trade Haralson for a 5th rounder
Larry Grant gets signed, 49ers get an additional 7th

2 DE Kendall Reyes UCONN
I would like to trade this 2nd for a first next year but I'm making the pick here as a luxury, Reyes is simply a beast. Justin Smith is getting up there in age so looking for his eventual replacement is never a bad idea. You can never have enough depth on your lines either. This pick would bump either Ian Williams, Will Tukuafu, or Demarcus Dobbs to the practice squad.

2 RB Robert Turbin Utah State
He is a mini hulk who has the talent and willingness to become a very good back. He and Hunter would form a solid tandem in the future. This pick would put Dixon and Cartwright in a competition for Castanzo's special teams spot.

3 OLB Bruce Irvin West Virginia
He's about as explosive as it gets but he's also a little undersized as a pass rusher. His athleticism should translate well to playing outside linebacker in the 49ers 3-4. Irvin would make Haralson expendable and give the team a situational speed rusher. He'll be a much cheaper backup than Haralson. (The Haralson trade would take place after this pick is made)

3 G Brandon Brooks Miami (OH)
He is a monster of a man with some scary athleticism. He'll sit for a year behind Schwartz then hopefully be ready to take over next year. A future line of Staley, Iupati, Kilgore, Brooks, Smith looks good to me.

4 WR Tommy Steeter Miami (FL)
NFLdraftscout has him available here so I'd pick him in a heartbeat to sit behind Moss. He's raw and could use some time to develop which makes the 49ers the perfect situation.
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=84537&draftyear=2012&genpos=WR

5 ILB Tank Carder TCU
Gooden takes over Larry Grant's role as top backup inside and special teams ace, Carder takes over Gooden's role as special teams role player.

5 S Kelcie McCray Arkansas State
Small school guy who can develop behind two talented safeties while playing special teams.

6 OLB Miles Burris San Diego State
The team played it pretty risky last year with only three outside linebackers on the roster. Burris would need to prove he's a capable special teamer to make the roster but he'd provide much needed depth at outside linebacker if he makes the roster.

7 WR Chris Owusu Stanford
Too much talent to pass up even with his injury concerns. He would compete with Kyle Williams for the fifth spot at receiver.

7 TE Adrien Robinson Cincinnati
Convert this man to running back/fullback/H-back/tight end/receiver/whatever. He has some impressive physical skills, Harbaugh and co. could make something out of him with a few years on the the practice squad.

UDFA
QB Aaron Corp Richmond
RB Alvester Alexander Wyoming
FB Drake Dunsmore Northwestern
WR Michael Calvin Cal
WR Lavasier Tuinei Oregon
WR Josh Cooper Oklahoma State
T Joe Long Wayne State
G Robert T Griffin Baylor
DE Ernest Owusu Cal
OLB Gabe Knapton Wyoming
OLB Ameet Pall Wofford
CB Robert Golden Arizona
DB Tashuan Gipson Wyoming
S Michael Thomas Stanford

Roster
QB: Smith, Kaepernick, Tolzien
RB: Gore, Hunter, Turbin, (Dixon or Cartwright)
FB: Miller
TE: Davis, Walker, Byham
WR: Moss, Crabtree, Manningham, Streeter, (Williams or Owusu)
LT: Staley, Boone
LG: Iupati, Person
C: Goodwin, Kilgore
RG: Schwartz, Brooks
RT: Davis

DE: McDonald, Reyes
NT: Sopoaga, Jean Francois
DE: Smith, Tukuafu, Dobbs
OLB: Brooks, Irvin
ILB: Bowman, Gooden
ILB: Willis, Carder
OLB: Smith, Burris
CB: Brown, Cox, Brock
FS: Goldson, Spillman
SS: Whitner, Jones, McCray
CB: Rogers, Culliver

LS: Jennings
K: Akers
P: Lee

I wrote this out on a tablet today using swype so I apologize for any errors. Have at it...
[ Edited by 23zack80 on Mar 20, 2012 at 8:54 PM ]
haha thats funny how theres a G named robert griffin from Baylor...did not know that

love the pick but I don't think he falls this far
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jreff22:

He just got in trouble with the law, OTC created a thread for it. If I wasn't on this tablet I'd link you to it but as of now it's still on the front page of the draft war room.
Originally posted by 23zack80:
Originally posted by jreff22:

He just got in trouble with the law, OTC created a thread for it. If I wasn't on this tablet I'd link you to it but as of now it's still on the front page of the draft war room.
Irvin was arrested Saturday night for destruction of property and disorderly conduct after allegedly breaking a sign at a Jimmy John's sandwich shop in Morgantown

Ya know, most people would say something about not getting a reciever..but I actually really like this. Good job. you have 5 of the same names I had in my mock.
BTW, you said trade the 1st rd pick, I did the same and found that the most logical trade would be with the panthers who have the #9 pick soo that means we'd get an early 2nd and 3rd.
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
Originally posted by martysofresh:
Ya know, most people would say something about not getting a reciever..but I actually really like this. Good job. you have 5 of the same names I had in my mock.
BTW, you said trade the 1st rd pick, I did the same and found that the most logical trade would be with the panthers who have the #9 pick soo that means we'd get an early 2nd and 3rd.

Thanks, I don't see a need to use an early pick on a receiver who will sit this year behind three veterans. Moss is on a one year deal and Manningham on a two year deal so we don't need a receiver until next year. This makes Streeter the perfect fit in my opinion. He's a poor man's version of Moss physically so who better to learn from than Moss himself.

I think the team will target Streeter or Hill to sit behind Moss for a year since both are very raw and very similar to Moss physically. I personally would prefer this draft but would be perfectly happy with Hill in the first. Since the team has very few holes, I hope they trade down like the Patriots did when they were at their best and pick up a lot of depth with future starting potential. Trading up to get someone like Hill is good for the team now but it depletes depth at other positions which puts your team's future at risk. With the major effect a few injuries can have on a team's season, which happens every year, depth can be the deciding factor of who makes the playoffs and who doesn't.
Real creative, I like it.

Thanks
Doubt the trade back scenario but if that did happen i like the picks. I would keep Parys for one more year b/c we have no clue if Aldon is going to be able to play OLB on 1st and 2nd down. I'd rather have some veteran insurance for one more year. Parys isn't breaking the bank and is more valuable to the team than a 5th round pick.
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
Originally posted by lamontb:
Doubt the trade back scenario but if that did happen i like the picks. I would keep Parys for one more year b/c we have no clue if Aldon is going to be able to play OLB on 1st and 2nd down. I'd rather have some veteran insurance for one more year. Parys isn't breaking the bank and is more valuable to the team than a 5th round pick.

The team spent just as much time in their base package as their nickel package last year so Aldon wont spend much time dropping into coverage. There may be some growing pains but it's worth it to have him on the field more regularly. Irvin played linebacker while at a community college and Burris was a linebacker for SDSU so I don't see a huge learning curve ahead for either if they need to play early.

I feel Irvin is more valuable to the 49ers as a situational pass rusher than Haralson is as a backup who can drop into coverage. The money saved from Haralson could go towards extending other players as well.

That would be a real solid draft. Nothing spectacular just good solid players and added depth. Not sure some of those guys make it to their selected picks though.
Originally posted by 23zack80:
Originally posted by lamontb:

The team spent just as much time in their base package as their nickel package last year so Aldon wont spend much time dropping into coverage. There may be some growing pains but it's worth it to have him on the field more regularly. Irvin played linebacker while at a community college and Burris was a linebacker for SDSU so I don't see a huge learning curve ahead for either if they need to play early.

I feel Irvin is more valuable to the 49ers as a situational pass rusher than Haralson is as a backup who can drop into coverage. The money saved from Haralson could go towards extending other players as well.

I was actually implying that you still draft Irvin and keep Parys. I don't think it's crazy for them to carry 4 OLB's. Last year this team got real lucky not to be hit with the injury bug. I would just keep him for insurance in case Aldon isn't up to speed. That little bit of money he makes isn't going to halt any current players from being extended. Having his veteran leadership around Aldon and Irvin for one more year could only help both guys. Plus at times you could put Parys in on 1st and 2nd downs to give Aldon a bit of a rest so he'll be fresher in the 4th quarter.
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
^^^ I definitely agree with you, it would be the safer way to go but the team isn't afraid to take risks with numbers on the depth chart. The reason I would trade him is you save over two million by having Burris on the roster rather than him. You could then pay Goldson that extra two million this year as part of his contract extension which means we're set at safety for a few years. It's an interesting idea in my opinion, but it's probably smarter to have that veteran insurance at outside linebacker like you suggested.
Share 49ersWebzone