LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 235 users in the forums

Harbaugh having heart procedure

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by firehouse538:
Sounds like an ablasion, which is for a rapid heartbeat. It's a simple in and out procedure where they burn the part off that is firing off the rapid rhythm. It's for people with SVT. No biggie, but sometimes it doesn't work so he can just take meds daily to prevent it.

Nah, too aggressive.

Irregular heart beat = either probably went for a TEE (transesophageal echo) to make sure he has no clots swimming around in his heart. The theory being that before you do an ablation or treat the irregular heart beat with medicine, you have to make sure there are no clots swimming in your heart, or as soon as you make that HR normal, you're gonna shoot that clot right into your brain.
Hence the meds.

Not sure about his meds but he's fine now and signed with Detroit Red Wings - Jonas Gustavsson
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Sounds like an ablasion, which is for a rapid heartbeat. It's a simple in and out procedure where they burn the part off that is firing off the rapid rhythm. It's for people with SVT. No biggie, but sometimes it doesn't work so he can just take meds daily to prevent it.

I just take meds.

I don't think I have the same problem Harbaugh does, though.

Though, I have been diagnosed with SVT. (supra-ventricular tachycardia, for those that don't know)

The sudden onset and "feeling ill" make me think it's different. SVT is usually genetic, isn't it? With onset at a younger age?
My mom has an irregular heartbeat.....she says sometime it makes her tired or makes her cough....still though its pretty scary with anything to do with your heart....hope all goes well
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Faraz80:
Nah, too aggressive.

Irregular heart beat = either probably went for a TEE (transesophageal echo) to make sure he has no clots swimming around in his heart. The theory being that before you do an ablation or treat the irregular heart beat with medicine, you have to make sure there are no clots swimming in your heart, or as soon as you make that HR normal, you're gonna shoot that clot right into your brain.
Yeah, that's more like what I think of when hearing the term "minor procedure".

It's a bit more worrisome than SVT, though.
Daniel Brown ‏@mercbrownie
Justin Smith on what team told players regarding Harbaugh's irregular heartbeat: "They said it's no big deal and everything should be fine."
Originally posted by Marsh:
Oh no
Yup ... my 1st thought, when I got the alert on my mobile

Originally posted by 80sbaby24:
Not to make a joke in this serious situation, but how many times have we hear the comment "Harbaugh needs to calm down on the sidelines or he is going to have a heart attack" made by the masses?
Too many times to recall ...

Originally posted by susweel:
yah he does get pretty worked up, I worry he will burn out ealry.
In all seriousness, he should consult his Dad ... above and beyond the X's and O's of being a coach. I mean, Jack was a coach from '64 to '06,
there has to be some pearls that Jim can relate and adhere to.

Originally posted by YungAce:
Jim needs to chill!
I think his passion for the game, combined with his personality gets the better of him.

Originally posted by cashmahne:
Whats the difference between a procedure and minor surgery?
I guess you could liken it to a school grade - how about an "A", vs an "A-"
Originally posted by Wodwo:
I just take meds.

I don't think I have the same problem Harbaugh does, though.

Though, I have been diagnosed with SVT. (supra-ventricular tachycardia, for those that don't know)

The sudden onset and "feeling ill" make me think it's different. SVT is usually genetic, isn't it? With onset at a younger age?
Not necessarily genetic, everybody's heart can be mapped out differently electrically.
Originally posted by Faraz80:
Nah, too aggressive.

Thanx ... better understanding now.
Coach probably just heard what Briggs said about he and Urlacher being better than Willis and Bowman and wanted to make sure all is well before he has to seriously put a hurtin on somebody Monday night! GO NINERS! Tired of this s**tcago hype. If their defense can't score, they lose. PERIOD! Everything is setting up nicely for a beatdown in SF on MNF!! The 49ers better be attacking this entire week "with an enthusiasm unknown to mankind"!!
[ Edited by NinerG94 on Nov 15, 2012 at 12:44 PM ]

• Wodwo
  • Veteran
Not necessarily genetic, everybody's heart can be mapped out differently electrically.

That makes sense. It's really the sudden onset at Harbaugh's age....

In any case, this can all get very complicated. Too many possibilities. Hell, just saying "SVT" could really mean any number of things.

They say it's minor, so I'll just take it that way.
These damn hospitals and insurance companies getting paid ..probably nothing wrong with him
Originally posted by Wodwo:
That makes sense. It's really the sudden onset at Harbaugh's age....

In any case, this can all get very complicated. Too many possibilities. Hell, just saying "SVT" could really mean any number of things.

They say it's minor, so I'll just take it that way.
I agree it could be many things! I am purely speculating, and was just throwing out a possibility. I just hope all is well!
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
I agree it could be many things! I am purely speculating, and was just throwing out a possibility. I just hope all is well!

Nothing wrong with that!

Here's to Jim's health!
Share 49ersWebzone