LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 199 users in the forums

Tie Game - how do you feel?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Marsh:
"I don't know exactly how it feels, yet," 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh said. "I don't know quite how to feel right how. I've asked several people, some of our players. And I think they feel like I do. Don't know quite how to feel right now.

you know what that means! Poor Bears!
Originally posted by JBatta49erfansince81:
We stunk today and should have lost. This team has taken a big step backwards this year. Harbaugh has been out coached a bunch of time this year. I say leave Kap in and see if we have our QB of the future. the NFL in general is a joke this year. There are no great teams for the season just great on a week at a time basis.

They are 6-2-1. How are they going backwards?
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
We stunk today and should have lost. This team has taken a big step backwards this year. Harbaugh has been out coached a bunch of time this year. I say leave Kap in and see if we have our QB of the future. the NFL in general is a joke this year. There are no great teams for the season just great on a week at a time basis.

I guess some people expected to be 9-0 at this point. We still have the 3rd best record in the NFC with a chance to grab the #2 seed this Monday.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Fortunate...we spotted them 14 right out of the gate...lost our starting QB...defense failed badly again today as did ST's and pass protection. I'm seeing a trend. Usually when we win we win in every facet. When we lose, we lose badly in every facet. But the bottom line is THIS was the Rams Superbowl. They knew if they lost this game their season was over. They couldn't even afford a tie. So in that sense, given the circumstances and given we fought hard to give ourselves a chance to win, I feel fortunate. I'm still unsure why the NFL (?) pulled Alex out of the game so late AFTER scoring a TD. If it's a head injury, they pull you out and evaluate you immediately like with Vick/Cutler. And if the guy is clearly leading TD drives how bad was he?

Good post! The game looked like it was turning around after the score but then with Smith going out it became a very ugly game. CK and the offense did OK, but Dwight Clark and others mentioned how badly our lines were beaten. Didn't like hearing that. Some of Gore's runs were strictly his will over the D. Just great runs.

As for taking Smith out, the announcers mentioned his eyes being really spacey so it must have been pretty severe. In the old days he would likely have continued to play and might have helped win the game...but I'm very happy they are more cautious now. Still wonder if Young will have future troubles.

Edit: as for a tie--not the end of the world. For a bad game, losing your QB and both D and ST having problems...came out as well as we have a right to expect.

Thanks for the update guys...Alex is the toughest SOB on this team, no question so if HE pulled himself out, it's serious. That hit was LOUD and to the back of the head; his fault. I'm concerned he may not be able to play against Chicago and he may not want to if the OL plays that piss-poor again (in pass protection). This OL can run block with the best of them but my God, they are a collective fail at pass protection at times and totally inconsistent. Alex/Kaep are two of the more athletic QB's in the game and they both were taking sacks, hits, forced fumbles, etc. less than 2.5 seconds to throw, etc. The OL, DL (esp. the middle), secondary (hell, the entire defense), ST (even Ginn - coverage; burned twice) was horrendous yesterday. Coaching staff had us ill-prepared and possibly overlooking a DESPERATE team that had already beaten the Cards/Hawks. They needed that win BADLY and played like it (see Jackson manning up and ST calls; ballsy).

That said, I was proud of the team's resolve though and Aldon/Brooks balled-out yesterday and literally, saved us about half a dozen times alone with critical stops on 3rd downs. Every single time. The other good news is that Roman adjusted per a backup QB on the fly (encouraging), we finally got some balls on 4th and shorts (and converted) and we gave ourselves a chance to win and got our backup QB some live bullets.

Overall: We've got to figure out why the passion has been lost 3 times so far this season (Vikings, Giants and now St. Louis). Rogers looks horrendous and continues to play about 1/2 speed (spotlight him and watch him in other games too; not good at all. He got his payout so...). Fangio needs to dial up his CB's to more press coverages at the LOS and stop giving those simple pitch-catches outside esp. on 3rd downs and esp. WHEN we bring a blitz; it defeats the purpose! Even if Culliver does slip on press, you need to trust your safeties to get over the top to help esp. along the sidelines (this is why you play them 30 yards deep to start) but Goldson/Whitner are very slow to the sidelines (laterally) and to the corners so I understand that dilemma but pick your battles wisely. Huge runs up the gut through Sopoaga/RJF & Willis/Bowman a lot this year...we struggle against good C's such as Baas. Time to get a wide-bodied NT to help clog those A-gaps AND push back the pocket? I think so...been saying this since we went to the 3-4. Smith/McDonald have been quiet minus personal foul penalties. With the success Aldon/Brooks have, there is no reason these guys can't also loop to the outside themselves or fire through a gap; maybe that's on Fangio's scheme too.

We have the same issues we always have even in a win. Many of these issues are masked by wins but there are certainly some trends to be worried about, everything from coaching, offensive-defensive philosophy to individual players and execution, to passion/fire and our fans and water boy. The good news is that we're the 3rd seed right now and we control our own destiny!

We do have a VERY tough stretch after playing the Rams Superbowl in O.T. and then turn around and play Chicago on Monday night for the #2 seed only to have to play IN New Orleans (who are hot right now) 6 days later and then turn around and replay the Rams in St. Louis and who knows how Alex's head is. Stay tuned...
[ Edited by NCommand on Nov 12, 2012 at 8:29 AM ]

The team looks avg most of the time. We struggle against the Rams at home. What are we gonna do when we play better teams coming up. Only one guy gets sacks. We drop ints, cant tackle, are getting gashed every week against the run, dont throw the ball down field past 10 yards, get tricked on a fake punt twice (thats on the coach) kicker sucks do you want me to go on?

The team looks avg most of the time. We struggle against the Rams at home. What are we gonna do when we play better teams coming up. Only one guy gets sacks. We drop ints, cant tackle, are getting gashed every week against the run, dont throw the ball down field past 10 yards, get tricked on a fake punt twice (thats on the coach) kicker sucks do you want me to go on?

I'm sure that's how all the Giants fans felt like this time last year. We need to be playing our best football towards the end of December going into the playoffs.
  • Chico
  • Veteran
I'm sure it's a combination of all of the above but to me it just seems like our team doesn't have the drive this year. It's like they know they're the best but play down to the level of the competition. I think once the playoffs start, if they get in, they will dominate the Post Season and win the SB!!!

What do you guys think?
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Lol we only lost twice.
Originally posted by susweel:
Lol we only lost twice.

this. lol
The tie really sucks, but i feel really lucky for just the tie. The rams had the win so many times and just made mental errors to keep the game going.

2 losses in week 10 ummm

this should be posted in AZ's forum
#1 overall pick here we come!!
LOLWUT we only lost 2 games
Originally posted by dwy621:
The tie really sucks, but i feel really lucky for just the tie. The rams had the win so many times and just made mental errors to keep the game going.

x2 It sucks on our end, but it must REALLY suck for Rams fans lol. They were up 2 TDs at one point (and 10 points in the 4th quarter), and the opposing team had their starting QB knocked out of the game. They blew it twice with the illegal formation penalty on the 80 yard bomb and the delay of game penalty on the FG in OT. Rams fans must feel sick to their stomach, whereas I feel we snuck in there and managed a tie.
Share 49ersWebzone