LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 215 users in the forums

Would our Secondary be tougher if Culliver started instead of Brown ?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by WookieOftheYear:
all of our CBs are bossing right now. No reason to make any changes. Next year Culliver and Brown start with Rogers as the nickel

This would be more ideal b/c we need a bigger, stronger, taller, more physical CB who plays with passion to cover guys such as Fitzgerald/Megatron. That said, even with his skill set and press skills, I'm not sure Fangio would allow him to play to his strengths and let him maul WR's at the LOS and instead, play him off 10+ yards like he does currently with Brown/Rogers.
[ Edited by NCommand on Nov 6, 2012 at 1:34 PM ]
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
Culliver just gets targeted more, so his play has been more visible. But TB is doing a hell of a job on the other side.

This.

Brown is just covering his guy and getting job done.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Yeah, really don't want any changes right now with the CB line up. Plus between Donatell and Fangio, I think they know exactly what they are doing and adjust if needed. Between Donatell and Baalke, they are picking up guys to shore up the secondary nicely. Next challenge is getting a FS if Goldson can't be retained.

I agree. Fangio and Donatell have given us a top pass defense. They know the players and what to do with them. No changes are needed.

Even if we sign Goldson, and we should, I think we should use a 3rd round pick on Phillip Thomas from Fresno St. He can play both SS and FS.

He leads the nation with 7 picks. He has 4 passes defended, 8 tackles for a loss, 3 sacks, 3 forced fumbles, and 61 tackles.
god damn these are good problems to have! I love having a dominant D! Go Niners!

....but seriously, somebody needs to step up and shut Victor Cruz down...
[ Edited by notsoempty86 on Nov 6, 2012 at 1:59 PM ]
If it ain't broke....
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
If it ain't broke....

break it
Isn't Brown our best Corner?
Brown is better than Rogers
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
If it ain't broke....

break it

they already did a few times with that Wild Kaep s**t and abandoning the run for no apparent reason. Lets hope they learned their lesson.
Originally posted by Joecool:

I would say so. Although PFF, from memory, had something like QB's have a QBR against Culliver as only 23 and 89+ for both Brown/Rogers. I think these two play way off too far, lazy at times, don't contest many balls, give up easy completions esp. on blitzes, etc. Culliver though...dude balls out, plays very aggressive and challenges everything and this stat sort of proves that. Culliver already has 10 passes defended (Rogers only has 4, Brown 6) and nether have an INT this year while Culliver has a couple...and all this was with about 1/4 of the snaps. He's sort of the Aldon Smith of the secondary this year.
[ Edited by NCommand on Nov 6, 2012 at 2:15 PM ]

Rogers gets away with a lot of holding IMO. Doesn't hurt my feeling any but he's a very sneeky nickel back .
Cully is coming along great!

But I feel we'll have a Aldon like scenario happening if we unleash the guy full time. I dont know how long it is to get a good hold on the position at pro level (3-4yrs?) but when the coaches do feel Cully can make that step im sure he'll perform.

We have depth at DBs so that affords Cully to develop more.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Been said a ton already but here I go....

Cully will start next season with Rogers manning the nickel role. It'll give us 1 full season to determine if we should move forward with a tandem of Culliver and Brown, as TB will be a FA after next season.

Culliver is already showing he can play against teams #1's, see games against Lions, Packers, Cardinals, etc. There is no way we should put Culliver in such a bad situation of starting right in the middle of season. We'll give him a full offseason to adjust to being our #1 Corner on an every down basis and then see how reacts after the preparation of the offseason and training camp.

This nothing more then a more delayed or long term version of what we did with Aldon during his rookie year to year #2. With Cully its a 3 year plan that arguably wasn't even the coaches intentions form the get go because as we all remember Tramaine Brock was the #3 before he got hurt and Cully jumped at the chance and never let it go.
Originally posted by susweel:
Brown is the best cover we got.

This. Brown is our best CB, and probally the most underrated CB in the league. Brown and culliver are our best two CB's
Originally posted by Joecool:

Yes he is.
Share 49ersWebzone