There are 255 users in the forums

Best offseason move

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Best offseason move

Originally posted by KegBert:
For immediate impact I say the Moss and Manningham signings.

But I think the BEST signing was locking up Brooks long term.

The dude is an absolute beast and I truly feel we have one of if not the best 3-4 OLB duo's in the league.

Honorable mention goes to inserting Boone at RG.

I like you!
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Originally posted by English:
Lets face it , it was a damn good offseason.

Yep, very very good offseason and that makes 3 in a row. Just off the top of my head (probably forgot someone).

2010: Iupati, Davis, Bowman,

2011: Aldon, Culliver, Hunter, Bruce Miller, Carlos, Goldson, Whitner, Costanzo, Goodwin, not re-signing franklin for sopoaga (cheaper), clearing out old regime (clements, lawson, mays, laboy, spikes, etc ), Ray McDonald
those ex niners you mentioned just make me shake my head sure spikes was nice but come on compared to what we have now? the rest i esp mays and lawson were very very over rated by the zone. we must have been bad back then to think those players were actually good players for us. there is not comparison to the players we have today... not resigning cos is the biggest major blunder in the off season
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Moss, Manningham, Jacobs. Best move by far.

Moss - Future HOF player, still produces on the field and his biggest contribution is mentoring our WRs. Crabtree now sits in the front of the meeting room, he's helped Williams with his route running, etc.

Manningham - Superbowl hero, great team player, smooth route running etc. Finally have someone who is a true compliment to Crabtree.

Jacobs - Tried and true insurance for Gore and Hunter. His supposed headcase moments on twitter aside this was the best move at RB we could've made;
Have to admit that this is a good question. All of our offseason moves were vital, and without any of them we would be lacking in that area. But I had to go with re-signing Brooks. We needed to have pass rushing for this D to be dominant. I like and defend Alex, but defense wins championships. With Brooks nailed down opposing offenses have to pick their poison - Smith or Brooks. And its paying dividends.
Originally posted by kush:
Easily starting Alex Boone. Our line has gone from slightly above average to one of if not the very best in the league.

This.

Our Oline is solid now, and aside from the hiccups in Pass Protection every now and then, when they are on they are on! Plus i like the additions of Moss and Manningham. It has had a positive effect in the other WR's on our team especially Crab. Plus i think we can get better as the season goes on.
I think its actually two moves, keep the D together & upgrading the WR corp. That's jus me doe.
On the surface...its a toss up between Boone and Brooks.

Big picture...its clearly Smith. For the first time this roster has had the chance to grow instead of learning something new and adjusting to new faces and verbiage. Having continuity has been paramount and it starts with the QB.

BTW...I also think people have been a bit hard on Anthony Davis...having Boone helps...but that kid was already a beast. He just doesn't have to worry about two assignments anymore...his and the rg's. We got a big time talent at RT.
Originally posted by reasonable1:
On the surface...its a toss up between Boone and Brooks.

Big picture...its clearly Smith. For the first time this roster has had the chance to grow instead of learning something new and adjusting to new faces and verbiage. Having continuity has been paramount and it starts with the QB.

BTW...I also think people have been a bit hard on Anthony Davis...having Boone helps...but that kid was already a beast. He just doesn't have to worry about two assignments anymore...his and the rg's. We got a big time talent at RT.

True Davis is still very young and growing into his body. In 2 years he may be the best tackle on the team.
Franchise Goldson.
Signing of Goldston I would say just wish it was long term!

I personally like the brooks signing. He will be a long term rusher for this team. I can't say the same for any of those other guys staying long term.
Alex Smith--because the quarterback is the most important player on the team and CK/Tolzien are not ready to start. But most of the others are certainly important.
Moving Alex Boone to RG is paying off very nicely right now.

Bringing Ahmad Brooks back was smart , we gotta keep all of our LB's around for as long as we can
Looking back to the draft, who could we have drafted instead that would have made people satisfied? This team was already stacked with talent and just about every position. What rookie would take the place of a current starter, or even crack a rotation? No matter who we drafted, no rookie was going to have any signifant playing time this year.
just so hard to say, management got right in so many ways....

Smith signed
Goldson signed
Boone to RG
Manningham signed

Honestly its a toss up between those 4.. IMO
Share 49ersWebzone