LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 232 users in the forums

Who is your favorite 49ers offensive Coordinator of alltime?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Bill Walsh, he was his own OC from 79-84! No one had the title in those years! And Chuck Studley was the DC until the 84 Season when Seifert took over as DC in 84. A little history for you youngsters out there. CCIowa knows the history but most of you are too young to remember! Denney Green claims he was the OC in those first years but he wasn't, it was all Walsh Baby as he was the mad scientist installing The Bill Walsh Offense(I refuse to call it the West Coast Offense), and we saw it take off in 81!! GO NINERS!!
Greg Knapp
Originally posted by WookieOftheYear:

The man who came up with this beautiful play.

Mike Shannahan
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Originally posted by WookieOftheYear:

The man who came up with this beautiful play.

Wait......

Play calling/coaching doesn't matter...............player execution is all that matters......

<nods to 49erAllTheTime>
Originally posted by 49ERGLENN:
Bill Walsh, he was his own OC from 79-84! No one had the title in those years! And Chuck Studley was the DC until the 84 Season when Seifert took over as DC in 84. A little history for you youngsters out there. CCIowa knows the history but most of you are too young to remember! Denney Green claims he was the OC in those first years but he wasn't, it was all Walsh Baby as he was the mad scientist installing The Bill Walsh Offense(I refuse to call it the West Coast Offense), and we saw it take off in 81!! GO NINERS!!

This and Shanahan. Nobody isolated and attacked weaknesses better than them...and then they KEPT attacking them until the white flags came out.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
Originally posted by toppdogg32:
Holmgren was mine. i like Hackett too, I felt he was underrated. But, Holmgren was methodical, and had a lot of exotic plays esp. to our RB's..

I brought up Paul Hackett and guys around here had no idea who I was talking about.

I will always love the video of Walsh yelling at him ....Well I put the f**king thing in Paul !!!!!!!!

Fck'n classic!!!

That was set up by Bill. The whole argument was staged by Bill and Paul to get the players to stop listen and try to understand what these two coaches were trying to achieve.Apparently Bill had his coaches and himself stage arguments like this to get the players to stop and think about what their coaches were arguing about. Get the players to visualize what the coaches were "fighting" about.At least that is what I heard and read. Bill Walsh was a genius.
[ Edited by 49erswillbeback on Oct 29, 2012 at 4:34 PM ]
Shanahan by a landslide.

Holmgren is one of the most overrated play callers ever. He had absolutely no creativity...if it weren't for the pure talents of Rice and Taylor, his offenses would've been dead. The biggest problem was his lack of sophistication in the red zone. He couldn't figure out how to get it into the endzone...it was all up to Rice/Taylor taking it the distance, deep or short, or winning one on one battles in the red zone.

You want to develop a boring offense, you hire Mike Holmgren. It was very basic stuff and only the personnel can carry it.

Shanahan, conversely, had a million ways to finish drives.
[ Edited by 1For13On3rdDown on Oct 29, 2012 at 6:17 PM ]
Originally posted by 49erswillbeback:
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
Originally posted by toppdogg32:
Holmgren was mine. i like Hackett too, I felt he was underrated. But, Holmgren was methodical, and had a lot of exotic plays esp. to our RB's..

I brought up Paul Hackett and guys around here had no idea who I was talking about.

I will always love the video of Walsh yelling at him ....Well I put the f**king thing in Paul !!!!!!!!

Fck'n classic!!!

That was set up by Bill. The whole argument was staged by Bill and Paul to get the players to stop listen and try to understand what these two coaches were trying to achieve.Apparently Bill had his coaches and himself stage arguments like this to get the players to stop and think about what their coaches were arguing about. Get the players to visualize what the coaches were "fighting" about.At least that is what I heard and read. Bill Walsh was a genius.

Walsh was a master of motivation , his creativity was endless ....but I always felt bad for Paul Hackett , he got both horns
Good question.... Holmgren, Shanny, Ray Rhodes, Pete Carroll (yeah, he was pretty good when he was here as DC)

Currently --- Fangio. Should keep him until he retires.

When was Carroll thev49er DC.

Originally posted by DaveWilcox:
Good question.... Holmgren, Shanny, Ray Rhodes, Pete Carroll (yeah, he was pretty good when he was here as DC)

Currently --- Fangio. Should keep him until he retires.

When was Carroll thev49er DC.

I want to say 95-96 but could be wrong. Let me check...

Yes. Memory still good when it comes to football
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Oct 30, 2012 at 9:04 PM ]
Walsh, Holmgren and Shanahan.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Walsh, Holmgren and Shanahan.
This.
Gotta go with Shanahan. That's around the time when I really started to get into 49er football and our offense was dynamic.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Share 49ersWebzone