LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 132 users in the forums

WHich high paid player/s will be gone next year? Snd which player is not playing t his con

Shop Find 49ers gear online
We are 3 million under the cap which means not much room. We will make several cuts next year. Top salaries as noted above are:

11 Smith, Alex QB 2014 $9,750,000
22 Rogers, Carlos CB 2015 $7,100,000
15 Crabtree, Michael WR 2014 $5,859,000
59 Goodwin, Jonathan C 2013 $5,016,667
82 Manningham, Mario WR 2013 $4,950,000
31 Whitner, Donte SS 2013 $4,833,333
4 Lee, Andy P 2018 $4,050,000
2 Akers, David PK 2013 $3,606,667
98 Haralson, Parys OLB 2013 $2,870,000

Pretty clear Haralson will be cut, My surprise cut/trade may be Lee. Yep pretty much the best punter in the league but 4 million is pretty expensive. I think that Rodgers gets burned an awful lot for the money he makes. Goodwin is pretty expensive. I truely believe that we could cut this entire list and not see much drop in play.the above list is close to 48 million. There will be dead space money involved, but we could be clear cap space for signing key important long term players such as Bowman, A. Davis, and Mikey Iupati.

As far as contract and poor play, I believe it's Rodgers and Whitner. Pretty big money for those two.
When is the cap going to take a bump? I don't see any reason to dump any of these guys unless a great replacement can be found at a better salary (team-wise).

More likely to see some restructuring.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Oct 20, 2012 at 7:53 AM ]
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
When is the cap going to take a bump? I don't see any reason to dump any of these guys unless a great replacement can be found at a better salary (team-wise).

More likely to see some restructuring.

My understanding was the cap bumps won't be significant for a couple years or three.

To answer the OP.. I'd say with a sigh that:

- I'd like Alex Smith to play better for his contract to be what it is... but at the same time, I worry to think what we would have at QB without him.
(and it is not at all too late for him to earn every penny)

- Really can't see Parys Haralson being back at that price next season.

- Have not been pleased with Carlos Rogers.. not for the money being paid out. He has been playing like a 6' 4" CB.. in that he hasn't been playing low and his change of direction and cuts have been rather poor when closing in.

- Jon Goodwin has been playing better, but I am not sure he will be so much better than Kilgore that we could justify his salary next season. He's earning his money fine this year.

No one else is making BIG money that isn't deserving it, really.
Akers is going to have to have to play really good the rest of the year of he is gone... He has been one of the worst kickers in the league this year and lacks the consistency to force touchbacks which is necessary with the way our coverage units have been playing.
Originally posted by 49er4life:
Akers is going to have to have to play really good the rest of the year of he is gone... He has been one of the worst kickers in the league this year and lacks the consistency to force touchbacks which is necessary with the way our coverage units have been playing.
I am not worried about Akers yet. He needs to make his next few 45 yarders tho, period. The seahwaks didn't return any Kicks on thursday that i recall... he definately has the leg

- Have not been pleased with Carlos Rogers.. not for the money being paid out. He has been playing like a 6' 4" CB.. in that he hasn't been playing low and his change of direction and cuts have been rather poor when closing in.

This is a level right? I mean we have played the lions, packers and giants and still have the #1 or #2 pass defense in the league, I wouldnt change a thang
Originally posted by 49erfaithful49:
I am not worried about Akers yet. He needs to make his next few 45 yarders tho, period. The seahwaks didn't return any Kicks on thursday that i recall... he definately has the leg

This is a level right? I mean we have played the lions, packers and giants and still have the #1 or #2 pass defense in the league, I wouldnt change a thang

Not sure what the bolded means. And I am not saying I would change out Rogers at this time. What I'm saying is that he hasn't been playing very well and earning that large sum of money so far. I can't judge one CB off of our pass defense rankings. Just can't do it. He hasn't been awful either.. but that doesn't mean he's earning his hefty contract.
Great thread, man!!! I've been waiting for something like this.

Crabs

Goodwin

Smith

Boom!!! Problem solved.
Very good question - thanks.

There are a lot of "if's" that could impact it like restructuring, trades. But THE most most important will be "Performance."

Since the season isn't over, I'll take a guess at it based on need, current performance and a little reality chack.

Who Stays - Alex QB 2014 $9,750,00022 - Kap may be the future but as of today I don't feel he has enough overall skills to get us to the Super Bowl.

Rogers CB 2015 $7,100,00015 - His play would have to drop off dramatically

Crabs WR 2014 $5,859,00059 - So far his best season and I don't foresee him going anywhere

Manningham WR 2013 $4,950,00031 - He is a keeper. Proven receiver, runner, blocker and shows up under pressure

Lee, Andy P 2018 $4,050,0002 - NEVER!

Possible - Whitner SS 2013 $4,833,3334 - Depends on how good the backups get. He hits like a tank BUT can't seem to cover TE that are being used more

Akers PK 2013 $3,606,66798 - I hope he went through a mild slump - time will tell

Goodbye - Goodwin, Jonathan C 2013 $5,016,66782 - I though he played his best game as a Niner vs. Seahawks Meet our new C - Kilgore

Haralson OLB 2013 $2,870,000 - too much $ and coming off an injury
I have one more that goes into the "Possible" category - Delaine Walker. Drops too many passes and we can get a quality blocking TE for less jack.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
I have one more that goes into the "Possible" category - Delaine Walker. Drops too many passes and we can get a quality blocking TE for less jack.

As much as I would like to think Walker should stay...I agree with you. He would be near the top of my list of expendable 9ers. If he stop dropping the ball for the rest of the year then I'll be back supporting his retention.

Originally posted by LasVegasWally:

Hes not under contract for next season already, I think he'll be back unless he gets a starter contract from another team.

Haralson and Goodwinn will be gone. Whitner could be possibly. The rest stay.
"Who Stays - Alex QB 2014 $9,750,00022 - Kap may be the future but as of today I don't feel he has enough overall skills to get us to the Super Bowl."

Gonna take that leap at some point. He's been in the league 2 years. Plenty of guys are coming in as rookies and developing into starting QBs. Gotta trust Jim to make it happen with coaching.

Crabs WR 2014 $5,859,00059 - So far his best season and I don't foresee him going anywhere
Manningham WR 2013 $4,950,00031 - He is a keeper. Proven receiver, runner, blocker and shows up under pressure

I believe it's between these 2 for 1 spot. I mean Jenkins is going to take 1 spot I believe.
If we go with Kaepernick next year, we won't have a cap problem. We could always bring in someone like Josh Johnson as insurance. Haralson is gone, so those two would give us $12.5M in extra space.

I'd be hard pressed to keep Goodwin around. His $5M hit nearly covers a Goldson extension. Akers isn't safe either with his $3.6M. Cutting Rogers would surprise me, but he's not worth his $7.1M hit.

Alex, Haralson, and Goodwin give us $17.5M in space, which is plenty to resign Goldson and extend Bowman. Those guys are vital on defense. Baalke will handle this. Alex is the wildcard in all of this.
Pretty sure we just restructured Lee's contract, so I can't see him getting the boot.
Anybody noticed that weve allowed 2 100 yard rushers this season while Haralson been injured???? Cant get rid of our best coverage OLB.....
Share 49ersWebzone