LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 328 users in the forums

quarterback controversy

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by sacniner:
Originally posted by DirtyP:
Originally posted by WookieOftheYear:
No, I just wanna know what makes you confident in Kaep at this point.

Nothing, I am just completely unconfident in Smith

We've seen this before, it's a re-run. Hill, Troy Smith, David Carr.

Huge difference.

Kap was a high draft pick who's only been in the league for 1 year. He was hand picked by Harbs and CO. Not a journey man QB, a 5th round small QB or a first round bust years and years ago
Originally posted by cciowa:
i actually think the ck crowd became unhinged when thier boy did not play much last night so they have to advance a qb controversy grassy knoll theory. just my opinion

CK doesn't have any "boys". Alex Smith sure does tho

Shaun Hill completely outplayed Alex Smith when he was given a chance to play

it was also clear that shaun hill had limitations.

which is why in 2009 hill was benched...... for alex smith.

Shaun Hill completely outplayed Alex Smith when he was given a chance to play. Troy Smith came in mid season and looked like he almost had as much of a grasp of that offense as Alex did.

Why did Hill get benched than? He is a band-aid homes... not a long term option. Worse than Smith in that regard. Troy Smith sucked. Can't even land as a third stringer in the NFL. A lot of fans get mad, panic and cheer for anyone else to come in. Totally irrational.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

We should definitely make a QB change then
yes, that evidence is right out of the vince lombardi bill walsh playbook
  • Jiks
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
Cause Kaep. got benched. Straight up benched. 1 play. Sucks don't it? I'm not the one who benched Kaep. I'm just stating the obvious. I'm not making up some fairy tale "I want Kaep, he hasn't done anything at all, but there is a QB controversy." Based off what? Fans making things up?

It's a fairy tale. That's all. A good one, but that's all it is.

Lol benched? If you come in for a handful of snaps a game you don't call going back to the bench "getting benched".

The controversy is based off of the last two games

300 yards, 1 td, 4 picks, 8 points

Kaep. sucked against the Giants. Kaep. only had one play against Seattle. Hmmm. Where is the controversy? THe fact that Kaep. didn't play last game shows that there is none at all. Rather the opposite. If it was any different Kaeps. time would progress, not go completely away.
Question:Its clear that this team will live and die by its defense and run game. Therefore, it would only make sense that we do whatever we have to to keep those units together. The Oline is locked up and so are the RBs. However, I can't help but to think how important Bowman and Goldson are to this team and they still dont have long term deals. I think you can make an very strong argument that either of those two are more imporant to the team than the current QB. So here is my question.Would cutting Alex next year save enough cap space to allow us to extend Goldson and Bowman? Obviously, this only works if Kap isn't a complete flop. If Kap is good enough, his salary is so low it would be like having a QB for free.

bumped.....
OMG he has had 2 bad games, he should be benched ASAP.

He's had more bad games than good over the coarse of his career and only someone in complete denial could argue otherwise. He looks like the same Alex we've been watching for 8 years to me. Magical seasons like last year aren't going to happen often.
Originally posted by ninersrule4:
Huge difference.

Kap was a high draft pick who's only been in the league for 1 year. He was hand picked by Harbs and CO. Not a journey man QB, a 5th round small QB or a first round bust years and years ago

You're right. And he has potential. But he came from a gimmick system in college that didn't play elite level talent every week. Maybe that is why he is not ready yet? I don't know, but it's on him to show that he is ready. It's on Kaep.
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
Kaep. sucked against the Giants. Kaep. only had one play against Seattle. Hmmm. Where is the controversy? THe fact that Kaep. didn't play last game shows that there is none at all. Rather the opposite. If it was any different Kaeps. time would progress, not go completely away.

They are trying like hell to win games with Alex Smith and they are barely able to do so. The defense can't hold every team out of the end zone

Originally posted by ninersrule4:

Huge difference.

i agree.

this is the main reason we're experimenting with the wildcat. to see what we got in kap in real game situations and see what directions the 9ers will go after this season ends.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Shaun Hill completely outplayed Alex Smith when he was given a chance to play. Troy Smith came in mid season and looked like he almost had as much of a grasp of that offense as Alex did.
and what did they do when they left us? if they were as great as you say, i would think they would go onto have a wonderfull career elsewhere. i must admit i have not been good about checking thier tracking device but i do not think they have done much since
Originally posted by cciowa:
i actually think the ck crowd became unhinged when thier boy did not play much last night so they have to advance a qb controversy grassy knoll theory. just my opinion

CK doesn't have any "boys". Alex Smith sure does tho

You are joking!!!!!
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Kap fans be patient. Let the process play itself out.
Copied my own post from another thread:

Be realistic guys.

The quarterback of a 5-2 team coming off a 13-3 year WILL NOT BE REPLACED. All of the criticism of Alex these last two games is warranted. He has missed some big plays, and made some really really bad plays. BUT, we did win last night, and his two of his worst games have come against two HIGHLY MOTIVATED, extremely talented defenses who know us very very well. (Not to mention sprained finger).

IF we lose a few games in this next stretch, and end up at 6-5 or 6-6, then MAYBE we see a change. Until then, enough of this stuff.
Share 49ersWebzone