There are 193 users in the forums

quarterback controversy

Shop Find 49ers gear online
The coaches will start Kaepernick when they feel that is the right move.
This offense is perfectly suited to start a 1st or 2nd year quarterback. It's the same kind of offense that Pittsburgh used in Big Ben's first-year. Pound the ball and throw it 20-25 times a game. While Kaep may make a few more mistakes than Alex, our big plays will also go up and I believe that our points/game would increase as well.

It's over for Alex, fellas. Whether they switch after the bye or during the offseason. They treat the guy, an 8-year veteran like he's fresh out of college. They have no confidence in his ability to make plays. Everything for him is manufactured. The wheel routes to Vernon and the FB or the shot plays where they use maximum protection is all to simplify things for Alex. when he has to go through reads or improvise, he implodes. We cannot win consistently BECAUSE of him He does not elevate anyone's play. He can protect the ball, but for the most part, he's along for the ride. That will not cut it and I would just as well rather see Kaep get in there sooner than later to determine whether or not he can be a franchise QB. We know that Alex cannot.
  • fly15
  • Veteran
Originally posted by sacniner:
Dude, Oakland did a poll last night that got locked. There is no stinking controversy. Kaep is not ready, and hasn't proved that he is.

how do u know hes not ready?
Originally posted by fly15:
Dude, Oakland did a poll last night that got locked. There is no stinking controversy. Kaep is not ready, and hasn't proved that he is.

He would be starting if he was
Originally posted by cciowa:
I know ck as starter supporters will spin in different, but the pick was all on the coaches. they just could not resist dunking around with a wildcat, wolfpack, cub scout, whatever the f**k they call it. fact is, its a gimmik, it does not work against good teams, you think they would have learned something last sunday. retarted cute play by our coaches who never seem to learn

As you know, I agree with your typical support of Alex, but I can't agree with the underlined. Alex screwed up here... QBs screw up.. it happens. But I gotta just put this on him and move on. Alex may not like this tinkering with Ck7, but that doesn't give him the green light to make stupid decisions like that INT.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by WookieOftheYear:

Might as well find out he cant do much worse.
Originally posted by McLovinAlexSmith:

he actually could
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by McLovinAlexSmith:

he actually could

120 yards passing ?
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
Originally posted by cciowa:
I know ck as starter supporters will spin in different, but the pick was all on the coaches. they just could not resist dunking around with a wildcat, wolfpack, cub scout, whatever the f**k they call it. fact is, its a gimmik, it does not work against good teams, you think they would have learned something last sunday. retarted cute play by our coaches who never seem to learn

As you know, I agree with your typical support of Alex, but I can't agree with the underlined. Alex screwed up here... QBs screw up.. it happens. But I gotta just put this on him and move on. Alex may not like this tinkering with Ck7, but that doesn't give him the green light to make stupid decisions like that INT.

yeah the coaches screwed up his rhythm..... but ultimately, i agree, that was a bad decision by alex.
  • fly15
  • Veteran

I didnt ask you

plus if we had drafted Dalton same guys would be saying the same thing, Dalton not ready

I didnt ask you

plus if we had drafted Dalton same guys would be saying the same thing, Dalton not ready

The coaching staff makes the decisions, not NT. They play the best players that we have
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
This is a make or break season for Alex. He's got the rest of the season to prove he's the guy going foward. If he doesn't, it's Kap's team next year.
[ Edited by mayo49 on Oct 19, 2012 at 10:01 AM ]
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal

I didnt ask you

Young QBs are excelling all over the league I think CK could do really well.
I really like Alex, and I want him to succeed, especially since he is our starter until big Jim says otherwise. I think anyone looking objectively at this season can say that they have not been disappointed by his play. No one was hoping for our passing game to look like what we saw against the Jets, Giants, or Seahawks. I find Alex's successes to be rewarding, but I spend so many games being frustrated by his tendency to pass up NFL-open receivers down the field (not necessarily running free, but with a position of ball-leverage that should allow for a high-percentage completion with decisive throwing and good ball placement). This frustration predates Harbaugh, so I am not interested in arguments that Alex only does this because he is being coached to check down.

I am skeptical that Kaep could make the same calls at the line that Alex has been making, so it seems reasonable that the gain we get with flexibility and athleticism could be offset by us not getting set in the correct play in some situations. I don't worry about Kaep having to learn how to read coverages on the fly, because I frankly do not believe that Alex has been very good at that this year, so Kaep should not be a big step down. I do believe that Kaep has the velocity to fit the ball into places that Alex cannot, and he seems to have more of a killer instinct. I believe the team is still behind Alex, and he is still winning for the most part. I am content to sit on my frustrations and hope for more offense, as long as Harbaugh still believes that Alex is the best option (as a side note, isn't it nice to have a coach we trust to make decisions like this?)
Don't know why everyone has to whine about people's opinions and go back and forth like this. State your opinion... state why, if inclined... then move on with your life. Minds will not be changed over this.. so save your redundant efforts.
Share 49ersWebzone