LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 275 users in the forums

This is NOT a GREAT TEAM in 2012.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by dugo:
This just in....this HAS BEEN A GREAT TEAM SINCE 1946.....

This!
Originally posted by Grigga2021:
Originally posted by sacniner:
Talk about an overreaction. I bet a lot of Giants fans were saying stuff like this last year when they barely made the playoffs.

Guys, we got beat by the NFL champs. It's just one game. Keep it in perspective. We have a much more important game on Thursday.

exactly, we lost to a great team...yeah it hurts, but we can beat anyone on any given sunday. Niners are still the best

Originally posted by sacniner:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Falcons, Ravens, Giants. And maybe the Packers by seasons end. The Patriots must always be considered.

Dude, we can beat all of those teams. The Falcons have had a cakewalk schedule so far and the Raiders really should have beat them yesterday. Patriots are highly overrated this year. The Giants play like s*it a few times a year.

Come on man! We beat the Packers in GB and according to you they are elite.

After what they did to the Texans they are. They are hitting their stride.
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:
personally i think this will be the most competitive season the NFL has seen in a long time.

the Niners are as good as advertised, but a lot of teams are at/near the same level.

I think we have some deficiencies this year that we didn't have last year.

the main ones i notice:

kick coverage...................................

you mentioned depth at OLB, in terms of numbers we have the same as last season........ in terms of experience no. losing parys was big. laughable how many people thought he wasn't important.......

biggest thing to me is attitude. we "say" we're big and bad. it's true. but if you're gonna strut, you gotta know that every week you won't be overlooked. we've overlooked opponents, and don't understand the concept of "having the bullseye on your back."

too much experimenting with the offense. the niners run the ball. keep running the ball.

Kick coverage is some of the worse I've ever seen. It was a big mistake to cut Colin Jones and Costanzo. We could have kept both.

8) Accurate QB's who are moblie or have time to throw pick us apart - Our biggest problems were the Vikings and Giants. One being mobile. The other being one of the most accurate and underrated QB's in football despite winning 2 Super Bowls. I think this goes back to the OLB thinness and problems there. But we have seen we can be picked apart there.

This is just not a 13 - 3 good team. I think we can do pretty well. But the OLB pass rusher problems and huge special teams problems lead me to believe a lot more losses are coming. We can still run Gore a lot and play defense. But the thing is our defense is not quite as good this year IMO. Pass rushers at OLB are very thin. And our special teams which would win so many close games for us has dramatically dropped off. It's a bad special teams. It not only won't win games for us. It will lose them. The coaching is too gimmicky. Too many tricks and too much QB rotation. Pound Gore and play defense would be our best bet. But with our awful special teams and OLB being thin I don't think we are even as good at the basics. I'm not completely convinced we are even as good as 4 - 2. We might be a little worse than that.

So what do you think about this highly mobile fairly accurate midget QB coming up?
[ Edited by Bali-Niner on Oct 15, 2012 at 10:37 PM ]
San Diego, read your OP and I don't think you are overreacting. This isn't the same group we had last year, even if it is largely the same players. If something doesn't click "on" and these guys don't gel bigtime (the way they did at Youngstown last year) we aren't looking at a very long postseason.
Originally posted by ninermedic:
San Diego, read your OP and I don't think you are overreacting. This isn't the same group we had last year, even if it is largely the same players. If something doesn't click "on" and these guys don't gel bigtime (the way they did at Youngstown last year) we aren't looking at a very long postseason.

If this is so bro; we aren't even looking at a post season...
Originally posted by Bali-Niner:

I'm worried about this team. I really am. I see a lot of holes this year. I didn't see many last year.
  • dj43
This is still a very good team. The OL is playing very well. The WRs are better if only marginally so. The RBs and defense are about the same.

The BIG HUGE difference between this year and last is that the turnovers ratio is WAY down from last season. During the off season many writers predicted the 49ers would come down to earth this year with a more normal TO ratio, and that would lead to more losses. They were correct.

The other thing that is very different this season is the special teams. Where last year special teams gave the 49ers the best overall starting field position in the league, this year has been only slightly above average. That difference has had an impact though not as large as the TO ratio.

Take those two things together and you have a very good 4-2 team that will likely wind up 11-5 and get to the NFCC game again where anything can happen.

I'm worried about this team. I really am. I see a lot of holes this year. I didn't see many last year.

I'm really with you on this. I see a different feel when watching the games It just may be they really believed their press to the max and that Minn & NYG took it to them and used some of their own running jumbo set plays to beat them that the confidence factor is well, you know where I'm going with this...
[ Edited by Bali-Niner on Oct 15, 2012 at 10:54 PM ]

Originally posted by dj43:
This is still a very good team. The OL is playing very well. The WRs are better if only marginally so. The RBs and defense are about the same.

The BIG HUGE difference between this year and last is that the turnovers ratio is WAY down from last season. During the off season many writers predicted the 49ers would come down to earth this year with a more normal TO ratio, and that would lead to more losses. They were correct.

The other thing that is very different this season is the special teams. Where last year special teams gave the 49ers the best overall starting field position in the league, this year has been only slightly above average. That difference has had an impact though not as large as the TO ratio.

Take those two things together and you have a very good 4-2 team that will likely wind up 11-5 and get to the NFCC game again where anything can happen.

The D is not as good as last on a consistent basis, it''s only as good now and then against teams that play more into their hands. I saw them hang their heads and hit less hard in the 4th Q, it really took me aback man.. Kickoff 2nd half the ST are only half heartedly doing their Tony Montana thing, then give up a 60yrd return, not good signs.

But hey I'm Scarlet & Gold all the way so hope for the best and a return to dominance, but personally I do not see any road nearly as "easy" as last year. Plus the West is no cakewalk in fact it's a 50-50 I think..NINERS!!!
[ Edited by Bali-Niner on Oct 15, 2012 at 10:55 PM ]
Originally posted by dj43:

The D is not as good as last on a consistent basis, it''s only as good now and then against teams that play more into their hands. I saw them hang their heads and hit less hard in the 4th Q, it really took me aback man.. Kickoff 2nd half the ST are only half heartedly doing their Tony Montana thing, then give up a 60yrd return, not good signs.

But hey I'm Scarlet & Gold all the way so hope for the best and a return to dominance, but personally I do not see any road nearly as "easy" as last year. Plus the West is no cakewalk in fact it's a 50-50 I think..NINERS!!!

The D is definitely not as good. And the special teams is horrific.
Wow, what's almost as disappointing than the 49ers most recent loss, is the fact that the webzone is filled with a bunch of crybabies. The 49ers are a good team, they had a bad game.
I seem to remember that during the season of our last Super Bowl win we lost to the Philadelphia Eagles 40-8 at Candlestick. Man after that loss I couldn't believe we actually won the Super Bowl. We obviously sucked. We couldn't play with the elite teams like Philadelphia. We had a serious problem with mobile QB's like Randall Cunningham. We also obviously had problems with accurate QB's, as Montana beat us at Kansas City in Week 2. We were 3-2 and lucky to be even that, as we were worse than that record. The only teams we beat were really bad teams playing at really bad times. There, looks like you can do the same thing with any team.
Originally posted by real9erfan:
I seem to remember that during the season of our last Super Bowl win we lost to the Philadelphia Eagles 40-8 at Candlestick. Man after that loss I couldn't believe we actually won the Super Bowl. We obviously sucked. We couldn't play with the elite teams like Philadelphia. We had a serious problem with mobile QB's like Randall Cunningham. We also obviously had problems with accurate QB's, as Montana beat us at Kansas City in Week 2. We were 3-2 and lucky to be even that, as we were worse than that record. The only teams we beat were really bad teams playing at really bad times. There, looks like you can do the same thing with any team.

Difference is we had a future HOF QB who stepped up and had an all time great season after that game.
Share 49ersWebzone