There are 225 users in the forums

Randy Moss does more harm then good?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
we dont target him. how many passes get thrown his way ? If anything, I think he's underutilized on this team.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BayAreaNinersFan:
Originally posted by jones49:
He gets open down field...thats a fact. Not his fault we didn't do s**t today.

seriously, nuff said. Asking if Moss is doing more harm than good right now is an indictment to one's football knowledge.

Boy looked GOOD on that deep ball, his speed is still there. I want more of those.

I'm not blaming Moss for anything, especially today's fiasco. I'm saying that through 6 games Moss is 10% of our passing offense and even though he is our #4 receiver I feel like the coaching staff / Alex is not getting involved enough.

Having a guy to "take the top off" a defense doesn't do any good if we aren't targeting him.
I'm tired of seeing Moss in one-on-one coverage and constantly having a step on the DB and not making a throw to him. Either use him or get AJJ up.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Faraz80:
we dont target him. how many passes get thrown his way ? If anything, I think he's underutilized on this team.

jeez this is my point! The way we use or DONT USE Moss is my entire point. That if we are only going to target him on 2 or 3 plays a game I feel like it is pointless to put him on the field, especially if we dont actually target him on a deep ball. Outside of today and Kaep's triple coverage throw I cant recall actually throwing deep to him. Well wait there was the over throw in the end zone from 30 yards but really how often have we actually utilized Moss? If we are using him a decoy we've done a somewhat poor job of attacking the weak spot that results in his presence.
Originally posted by sfout:

jeez this is my point! The way we use or DONT USE Moss is my entire point. That if we are only going to target him on 2 or 3 plays a game I feel like it is pointless to put him on the field, especially if we dont actually target him on a deep ball. Outside of today and Kaep's triple coverage throw I cant recall actually throwing deep to him. Well wait there was the over throw in the end zone from 30 yards but really how often have we actually utilized Moss? If we are using him a decoy we've done a somewhat poor job of attacking the weak spot that results in his presence.
then it seems the real question you ought to be asking is Alex/Coaching staff doing more harm than good.

Moss is doing his thing, and he's even been a good teammate.

The fact we can't get him the ball is a problem independent of him.

and this could be a season-killing problem. Hope the coaches get very little rest this week, they don't deserve it. Seattle's D is better than NY's, we could be in trouble and looking at a possible tie for last in NFCW
  • Baldie
  • Veteran
Originally posted by monsterzero789:
I'm tired of seeing Moss in one-on-one coverage and constantly having a step on the DB and not making a throw to him. Either use him or get AJJ up.

Totally agree. Learn from Brady! I know this isn't part of Alex's game, but they need to make it part of his game.

Both Moss and Manningham have deep threat abilities and they are rarely used. If anything they are used in 5 yard outs which are very unproductive especially on 3rd downs. My other issue was Jacobs. He would have been playing with anger and running through people with his size. I bet the Giants were suprised he was inactive.
Originally posted by SealTeam6:
Our coaches not using him is the problem

Well, I think the issue is not Moss then, but rather Alex's insecurity to throw into coverage. If you go back and review all of Moss's catches this season (including today's 50 yard bomb), they're all in situations where he was wide open. Now, we all know that Moss is gonna draw multiple coverages toward him; he's that respected in the league. He's always got 2-3 guys hovering around, but the reality is that Alex has NEVER in his career played the type of game where he trusts his receivers to make plays. He needs to see a guy wide open running down the seam before he'll target them, and unfortunately for Moss (a guy having 2-3 DBs around him at all times) he's not gonna get those opportunities.

Now the advantage here is that Moss therefore becomes a decoy, and it allows other guys to open up. But still, I feel like we have seriously underutilized him, and I put a lot more of that on Alex. Not even coaching because he does come in the game and get his fair share of playcalls, but no dap from Smith.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Well there we have it.

Our coaching staff / Alex are not doing their jobs ^_^ problem solved. I may have phrased it badly but I thought in my post I was clear that I was question our use of Moss and not his skill. I pray that we start using Moss and his way of drawing multiple coverages in a more frequent and creative manner.
Well there we have it.

Our coaching staff / Alex are not doing their jobs ^_^ problem solved. I may have phrased it badly but I thought in my post I was clear that I was question our use of Moss and not his skill. I pray that we start using Moss and his way of drawing multiple coverages in a more frequent and creative manner.

There's nothing creative about it. The guy has size, speed, experience, skills. He doesnt drop balls. All you need to do is give him a chance. We havent this season. Chances are he's gonna move on after this season is done. Our loss, actually. Not his.

• Baldie
  • Veteran
Maybe Alex doesn't see the whole field or moves on to the next read to fast. There have been replays in games where Moss has been left in single coverage but Alex throws to and underneath guy thats nowhere near the first down alot of times because thats what he's comfortable with that throw.
  • Baldie
  • Veteran
There's nothing creative about it. The guy has size, speed, experience, skills. He doesnt drop balls. All you need to do is give him a chance. We havent this season. Chances are he's gonna move on after this season is done. Our loss, actually. Not his.

Agree, he might sign for less as long as its a playoff team where he'll get more chances, more than what we've given him.
Originally posted by Baldie:

Agree, he might sign for less as long as its a playoff team where he'll get more chances, more than what we've given him.

I think if he gets a ring he walks either way, not may teams or coachs can handle randy!
[ Edited by TheGoldDiggerrrr on Oct 14, 2012 at 6:50 PM ]
Dumba** thread. Don't be a bitter a** because we lost. Moss is doing great for our team. Look at the consistency of Crabtree and Kyle Williams. He's done a great deal of things to make this team better
  • Baldie
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:
Originally posted by Baldie:

I think if he gets a ring he walks either way, not may teams or coachs can handle randy!

He's said and done all the right things so far....could do the same for another team if we he doesn't get a ring this year.
Share 49ersWebzone