LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 297 users in the forums

Greg Roman, is he really good?

Shop 49ers game tickets
NinerGM, sorry, my quote button doesn't work. But I totally agree with you on all accounts! Well stated on your post #1346. The OC in Seattle is light-years ahead of Roman. He essentially attacked the Saints exactly how I would have liked us to do. We had the talent to not make that game close but we did and it ended up costing us; just like the Panthers game and even Indy. Even in Seattle, we were there until the defense finally wore down. Hell, Seattle even completed a long pass to Ricardo Lockette. Enough said...THAT is spreading the ball around.
[ Edited by NCommand on Dec 3, 2013 at 6:50 AM ]
This Roman Greg I believe can and might cost the 49ers a return trip to the Super Bowl, he's that BAD. No creativity for the passing game, howcome Seattle's NO NAME wrs and 5'10 QB are constantly making all the plays in the passing game and our 6'5 QB along with stud VD and STUDD QUAN get held back by this pie eating contest winner??
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I think it's way past time for this, but if the 49ers offense can't get anything going, he truly needs to go. After watching the 49ers struggle against the Saints, I saw the Seahawks tear up a Saints defense by attacking their weaknesses, the same weaknesses that the Saints possessed when the 49ers played, Seattle did so with damn near surgical precision and you saw how many guys ended up completely wide open as a result of the scheme that they were running.

Sadly, I believe this is correct. Hate to blame it on one guy (or two) but there are only two things on this team, offense or defense, that seem lacking--WR development/effectiveness and offensive passing scheme...and of course they are related. The only other philosophical difference I have is the tepid Fangio defense when the team has the lead, but at least there is a body of work showing it to be somewhat effective.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Dec 3, 2013 at 7:14 AM ]
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
This Roman Greg I believe can and might cost the 49ers a return trip to the Super Bowl, he's that BAD. No creativity for the passing game, howcome Seattle's NO NAME wrs and 5'10 QB are constantly making all the plays in the passing game and our 6'5 QB along with stud VD and STUDD QUAN get held back by this pie eating contest winner??

Harbaugh and Roman are just far too conservative and stubborn for their own good. All the fireworks you saw with Seattle's offense, you'll probably never see with ours if Roman is still here. Sad but true.
Originally posted by NeonNiner:
Harbaugh and Roman are just far too conservative and stubborn for their own good. All the fireworks you saw with Seattle's offense, you'll probably never see with ours if Roman is still here. Sad but true.

they better let that go. they better unleash this offense. stop being conservatives

you can't be conservative talking about destiny is in your hands and that you have to meet the challenge.

that don't add up
Oh my gosh. This thread is still open meaning roman is still here. Yikes, we be in trouble. In answer to the original question, is roman this good? HELL NO, the guy is awful, has inability to learn from his mistakes, and has no business on Jimbo's team. He is the one thing keeping us from the SB. If he goes we win. If he stays, we lose. Roman is a decent college coach, but is a 10-12 game winning pro coach. He is not the coach that leads us to SB, so fire him....now before the SEA game so we at least have a chance. With him we got none. I just hope jimbo takes over playcalling and kicks roman out.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Oh my gosh. This thread is still open meaning roman is still here. Yikes, we be in trouble. In answer to the original question, is roman this good? HELL NO, the guy is awful, has inability to learn from his mistakes, and has no business on Jimbo's team. He is the one thing keeping us from the SB. If he goes we win. If he stays, we lose. Roman is a decent college coach, but is a 10-12 game winning pro coach. He is not the coach that leads us to SB, so fire him....now before the SEA game so we at least have a chance. With him we got none. I just hope jimbo takes over playcalling and kicks roman out.

i think you guys are under selling harbaughs loyalty to his guys. whether roman is good or s**tty is not what i'm here to debate. just going to point out we've won 13 games, 11 games and likely 11 or 12 games this season. add in 3 playoff wins and maybe more this season. when you do all of the math you can see greg roman is going to be back next season. the only way i dont see him here is if he gets a college head coaching job. its not about whther hes great or not, its a question of do you honestly see harbs cutting ties with him? i dont. we've been a 6-7 win team for almost a decade, then win an average of 12 games over 3 years. hes going to stay and a lot of people arent going to be happy about it.
The fact that we're even QUESTIONING our own OC at this junction of the season is pretty scary. And sadly, I agree with you Crab, that's the only way I see a change as well. But, I have a feeling Baalke is watching this game extra close. He and Jed have invested way too much and if they have to be the bad guy, I have a feeling they'd have no issues with it.
Originally posted by NCommand:
The fact that we're even QUESTIONING our own OC at this junction of the season is pretty scary. And sadly, I agree with you Crab, that's the only way I see a change as well. But, I have a feeling Baalke is watching this game extra close. He and Jed have invested way too much and if they have to be the bad guy, I have a feeling they'd have no issues with it.

yeah we're questioning it, but inside that facility i dont know how much they are contemplating change. this is a 11 or 12 win team since harbaugh and co got here, its going to be very easy for them to spin keeping roman especially with a playoff win and some improvement on O with guys like crabtree and manningham back.
And that is exactly what HaRoman will say; "Hey, we finally have a full arsenal...give us another year to put it altogether with CK who's going into his 3rd year!" Sadly, you find out what kind of OC/philosophy/foundation you have WHEN everything isn't perfect. In fact, that's when an OC shows his true colors and helps mask the weaknesses.

Originally posted by NCommand:
And that is exactly what HaRoman will say; "Hey, we finally have a full arsenal...give us another year to put it altogether with CK who's going into his 3rd year!" Sadly, you find out what kind of OC/philosophy/foundation you have WHEN everything isn't perfect. In fact, that's when an OC shows his true colors and helps mask the weaknesses.

They better come out with a solid and crisp game plan this week. It's a little easier for SEA because Lynch is far greater than Gore. Gore is good but he does require more traps and play design creativity to dominate the game. We don't have a runner like Lynch who will get 3 yards if the defense doesn't commit to stopping him.

The other issue is what we do off of play action or vs an 8-10 man front. I HATE the plays Roman calls on those. Most are all corner routes or deep routes. It's like DUDE, do you think the defense is going to give you time for those? Roman needs to think of a better plan vs 8 fronts because SEA gonna be comin.

Need to prepare Kap for quick movement, prepare the line for moving the pocket, and run some rub routes against that man coverage.

Better see some quick slants and quick seam routes this game. MUST pick on the SEA LB's as they like to cover man on man with them.
Greg Roman this week: http://www.49ers.com/video/audio/Greg-Roman-Going-to-Be-One-Heck-of-a-Battle/e8abfca9-90f6-4cfe-b482-1d96f2f97678
We better be aggressive as hell and score every single time we can.

Keeping it close is not smart - Seattle came back from behind in a few games.

I HATE the conservative approach. Get ahead fast and don't take our foot off their necks.

In history, absolutely no country ever won a war fighting it defensively. They won them all by going on offense.
Crabman, I know canning roman is just wishful thinking, and it ain't gonna happen. Still, it is exactly what we need and won't get due to jimbo's fanatical loyalty to his players (Kyle Williams) and coaches, despite what he sees is not working. Dam I hope some fool on the Jags or Miami, etc, will take him as their HC at season's end. But we all know that won't happen either. One thing really depressing is that he will continue to win 10-12 games/yr and will be welcomed back. I just wonder how much it will take jimbo to finally can him. The other, much less likely scenario is that roman starts calling games like a regular human professional. Doubtful, however.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
We better be aggressive as hell and score every single time we can.

Keeping it close is not smart - Seattle came back from behind in a few games.

I HATE the conservative approach. Get ahead fast and don't take our foot off their necks.

In history, absolutely no country ever won a war fighting it defensively. They won them all by going on offense.

I agree with what you're saying about football, but, Russia, Vietnam, Afghanistan, India, China, USA, France, Greece, Japan, and last but not least Switzerland, all have very formidable histories of winning defensive wars.
Share 49ersWebzone