LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 373 users in the forums

Greg Roman, is he really good?

Shop 49ers game tickets
thl408! What a fantastic find. Man, THIS is spot on isn't it!? Funny b/c many in here made reference to this very scenario (with the Harbaughs). But like many said here, the difference in Baltimore was that John was not tied to or "married" to the OC there where Jim appears to be not only in offensive philosophy but Roman himself. Jim also has input into the game plan AND calls on the field. So letting Roman go would be going against Jim's own foundation.
Originally posted by NCommand:
JoeCool, totally in agreement. I also think this offense is WAY too complicated. Not like a WCO-complicated, but complicated in all the shifts, personnel changes in-and-out, packages, motions, etc. It's insane. Yet on first downs, we gain next to nothing. Literally. I wonder what our total net production has been on first downs this year. It seems like we spend nothing but an afterthought on the passing game and even less on plays that would take advantages of the oppositions weaknesses. Have we EVER attacked an injured play (his backup)? Not staying with the run game against the Colts b/c "we didn't get back to those plays" also speaks to the tunnel vison this coaching staff has and their inability to steer from the "game plan." Lack of half time adjustments, slow starts to games, LOTS of obvious and predictable patterns, the AR passing game, etc. I just think the foundation of this offense is where all the issues start. We are 29th in first downs. Yikes.

Cheers to the bold. Maybe all fans say this about their teams but I have rarely seen us attack a weak link. For example, Saints game, their DB gets away with PI and gets injured. We NEVER try another deep ball to Baldwin to force the issue and force a backup to make us beat him. Why wouldn't we dial that play up again? I understand the down and situation and type of defensive look also plays a role, but sometimes, we need to force the issue when there is a week link.

A lot of teams now are throwing deep due to the defenseless player rule. A lot of PI's are being called or Personal fouls. We don't take advantage of that.
Originally posted by cciowa:
roman could never guess that he could have so many friends when he sees how many of us show up at his door to help move him to dc

Last offseason I volunteered to start cold calling various colleges and setting up some interviews for him.
Roman could be a deadly playcaller if he didnt make things so difficult on his own team , it's obvious by the amount of timeouts Kap has had to burn all season, and we all know the entire offense can get very confused at times ...If Roman was a school teacher, he would hand out a months worth of homework on friday and expect it all to be completed by monday...Sometimes he tries too hard to get the defense confused with his exotic formations, and in the process, he confuses his own team ...maybe it's growing pains, maybe it's due to information overload ....but hopefully keeping the offense together long enough to absorb the system will pay huge dividends ....but at times I personally wish he would scale things down at times and allow his studs to run wild ...because obviously Kap gets frustrated when there is too much information to digest ...the Panthers game was proof of that
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
roman could never guess that he could have so many friends when he sees how many of us show up at his door to help move him to dc

Last offseason I volunteered to start cold calling various colleges and setting up some interviews for him.
right after the super bowl i volunteered for him to be first up for the knock out game. i of course was attacked by saying i should be happy he got us to within five yards of the super bowl title you and i were on the right side of history but we take no pleasure in it when we have seen how he has f**ked things up so much this year.. and no i do not feel like giving him credit for calling one good half of ball monday, the way he should be calling it all the damn time

right after the super bowl i volunteered for him to be first up for the knock out game. i of course was attacked by saying i should be happy he got us to within five yards of the super bowl title you and i were on the right side of history but we take no pleasure in it when we have seen how he has f**ked things up so much this year.. and no i do not feel like giving him credit for calling one good half of ball monday, the way he should be calling it all the damn time

Exactly cciowa
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
Roman could be a deadly playcaller if he didnt make things so difficult on his own team , it's obvious by the amount of timeouts Kap has had to burn all season, and we all know the entire offense can get very confused at times ...If Roman was a school teacher, he would hand out a months worth of homework on friday and expect it all to be completed by monday...Sometimes he tries too hard to get the defense confused with his exotic formations, and in the process, he confuses his own team ...maybe it's growing pains, maybe it's due to information overload ....but hopefully keeping the offense together long enough to absorb the system will pay huge dividends ....but at times I personally wish he would scale things down at times and allow his studs to run wild ...because obviously Kap gets frustrated when there is too much information to digest ...the Panthers game was proof of that
NeeJ is one of the best posters here and sometimes his words should be carved on stone tablets to be preserved,,,,,,,,, however i could not get past the first six words bud i am to far along in the roman hate zone i am unable and unwilling to give him credit for anything. my problem, not yours
NeeJ is one of the best posters here and sometimes his words should be carved on stone tablets to be preserved,,,,,,,,, however i could not get past the first six words bud i am to far along in the roman hate zone i am unable and unwilling to give him credit for anything. my problem, not yours

It's all good Brother
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

Exactly cciowa

i will tell you J he was actually starting to build up some good will with me when we won five in a row and he seemed to be playing to the strengths of the team but it went all up or down in flames during the panther game and i will never give him credit for anything. you know if we do not make the playoffs it will be 100 per cent on him for the colts and panthers fiasco
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

It's all good Brother
it did break my heart to disagree with you another thing to blame roman for

JoeCool, I see this happen all the time. I saw Manning instantly go after Brock in the NFCCG, I saw teams this year realize that Brock was balling after trying to target him with Johnson and then switch mid-stream and go after Brown instead (successfully)...quick screens against us in the Redskins game d/t our pass rush, etc. Us? Not so much...impose our will, I guess.

It's all good Brother
it did break my heart to disagree with you another thing to blame roman for

I too have lost patience with Roman ...I told others just because he called a halfway decent game on monday doesnt mean we need to let him off the hook .....once Roman gets the offense into a consistent ryhthm , I'll cut him some slack ...but if he calls a gem of a game against the Seahawks and we win ..I will personally send him a starbucks gift card or something
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
I too have lost patience with Roman ...I told others just because he called a halfway decent game on monday doesnt mean we need to let him off the hook .....once Roman gets the offense into a consistent ryhthm , I'll cut him some slack ...but if he calls a gem of a game against the Seahawks and we win ..I will personally send him a starbucks gift card or something
if we ran the table,, i may throw him a bone but in two years he has shown no ability to make big calls in big games. you know the saying big players make big plays. i think the same can be said for roman. he helped f**k up the giants title game with the infamous pitch to kyle with a wet ball on a wet field in our own territory. the super bowl first and goal from the 7 has been well documented and so far this year he has been a train wreck vs a good defense that knows how to defend us
  • MarkD
  • Veteran
With 3 plays being called by Roman to Harbaugh, Harbaugh then calls them to Kap who can stick with the primary or audible to one of the other two plays. The problem is the inexperience with Kapernick right now.
Greg Roman is very creative for offense score? nope.. He is really failed and dumb cuz Kap didn't make the offense score and didnt work out. It's really sux!! Roman is worst the creative and not work out for sux offense score and nothings news!!
Share 49ersWebzone