LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 242 users in the forums

Greg Roman, is he really good?

Shop 49ers game tickets
Every time I see the offense snap the ball with 1 second on the play clock or call a time out to prevent the penalty I'm reminded of Singletary & Company.
Greg roman sux. Cant wait til he's gone. This 49er offense looks like the 1988 Chicago Bear offense. Great Defense but no offense. Its not for lack of talent. its lack of in game adjustments & formations & playcalling. He blows.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Our coaches were good at half time adjustments until this season. Remember the NFC Championship? We can't have a short term memory in light of our recent struggles.

I was wondering what happened to this as well. The Niners got off to slow starts seemingly every game last season. Then adjustments would be made and they would come storming back in the second half.

It seems this year's team has somewhat reversed that trend. They're trying to jump out to early leads and then simply sit on them and hope the defense holds up. If the Niners can't get that early lead this year, they seem relatively helpless to get back in a game. Maybe it's the receivers, but it really seems to be a team wide problem the more I think about it. I know I ripped on Roman earlier in the thread (and I still think he bears the brunt of the responsibility as it is the coordinator's job to put the offense in a position to win) but this offense as a whole seems lost.

I would venture to say it starts with Roman and his complex offense, complete with all the shifts he likes to make. Then add in an over-coached QB who is thinking far too much out there, a receiving corps that is essentially new, and some goofy issue with play calls getting in late and I think it's a recipe for disaster. At the very least it is a way to significantly slow an offense.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Is it Roman or JH? It's a fair question.

At some point during games JH has to see that it isn't working and override Roman's play calling.

Or is he already doing that?

Or the much scarier conclusion, that Roman is only running the offense that Jim Harbaugh wants him to run and has little choice in the actual types of plays called.

Never thought anyone could make Jimmy Raye look like an offensive genius. Greg Roman does. Jimmy Raye's playbook consisted of run-run-run-punt. In all fairness, Greg Roman has a little more variation in his scheme...he will surprise us on occasion with run-run-pass-punt. The Niners offense will not be consistently dynamic until we get a real offensive genius as our OC.
Originally posted by 49RSRUL:
Never thought anyone could make Jimmy Raye look like an offensive genius. Greg Roman does. Jimmy Raye's playbook consisted of run-run-run-punt. In all fairness, Greg Roman has a little more variation in his scheme...he will surprise us on occasion with run-run-pass-punt. The Niners offense will not be consistently dynamic until we get a real offensive genius as our OC.

There are times when the only one that is being confused by all the elaborate pre run shifting is our own team. Tick tock.....watch the play clock! Problem that you run into is when you start every play under 5 seconds on the play clock, you are always in hurry up panic mode.
Might be but they need a change and mix it up on offense and as good the defense if playing I think a change is in order there too. That defense is good enough to be one of the best the NFL has seen for a long time.
I have a suggestion for the Photoshop thread -- Photoshop Roman's face on Raye's head and call him Jimmy Roman
Trent Dilfer just said the Packers out up 495 yards vs Minnesota yesterday. With 3rd string QB and missing WR's and TE's. So while much of the blame for our O is on our adolescent QB, and I've been as frustrated with Kap as anyone, most blame is on the coaches for either not putting him in better positions, or not realizing he simply doesn't have it.
explode lol

I wish I had a press pass. My first question to Harbaugh is when is Roman fired? Right now or just wait til after the game? Fewest pass yards in the NFL. Guess what Roman...you suck at your job and you are fired. This is a super bowl team with a good OC.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Florida49er:
I wish I had a press pass. My first question to Harbaugh is when is Roman fired? Right now or just wait til after the game? Fewest pass yards in the NFL. Guess what Roman...you suck at your job and you are fired. This is a super bowl team with a good OC.

Eric Branch ‏@Eric_Branch
Kaepernick with back-to-back completion of 24 and 19 yards (TD) to Boldin. Longest completion in previous two games: 17 yards.
Greg Roman has tuned into a moron! How much longer is he going to keep running it into the line with 8 and 9 man fronts, and single coverage on the outside? Let Kaep freakin' roll out and move in the pocket when he throws! This is stupidity! And have you ever noticed when Kaep kills a play, the alternative play is a run for 1 or 2 yards, STUPID!!!
NOW
from 10%
to 80%
if we can take 80% of this offense we are on a 7 game winning streak....

keep this offense for the rest of the season.

this offense and eliminate the predictable hunter runs.

keep the momentum up.
hey roman keep calling those slants when they load the box please
Share 49ersWebzone