There are 180 users in the forums

Greg Roman, is he really good?

Shop 49ers game tickets
Agree. I think Baldwin has had two, three higher % throws and made all of them (despite throws wide, behind him, high, etc.). WAY too small a sample size. Since we run an AR passing attack, how hard would it be to scheme HIM open on higher % throws? Why are all these low % passes expected to be made with play calls to Baldwin, McDonald, etc. This is not how you best take advantage of a WR's strength, build up confidence and rhythm or "development" into your offense during the season. Poor POOR job top-to-bottom.
[ Edited by NCommand on Nov 22, 2013 at 11:33 AM ]
Also, more scheme issues: "The 49ers routinely found themselves in second-and-long situations after using "22" personnel on 14 of their 22 first-down plays in New Orleans. (AP). Last season, the 49ers had a 60.3-percent success rate using two backs and two tight ends (or 22 personnel) on first downs, according to the research of Jeff Deeney, analyst for Pro Football Focus. Success on first down is defined as a gain of more than 3 yards. This season, the 49ers' success rate on first down is just 44.7 percent. In the team's 23-20 loss to the New Orleans Saints on Sunday, the 49ers routinely found themselves in second-and-long situations after using "22" personnel on 14 of their 22 first-down plays." http://www.csnbayarea.com/49ers/49ers-offense-not-experiencing-catch-22
[ Edited by NCommand on Nov 22, 2013 at 12:41 PM ]
"With the 49ers showing a run-heavy personnel grouping, the Saints defense stacked the box with eight, nine and, sometimes even 10 defenders close to the line of scrimmage. The 49ers managed just 21 rushing yards on 11 first-down plays (1.9-yard average) while in 22 personnel. And the 49ers had even less success throwing on first down out of that personnel group with one completion in three attempts for 1 yard." Now THAT is a one-sided chess match!
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:
Also, more scheme issues: "The 49ers routinely found themselves in second-and-long situations after using "22" personnel on 14 of their 22 first-down plays in New Orleans. (AP). Last season, the 49ers had a 60.3-percent success rate using two backs and two tight ends (or 22 personnel) on first downs, according to the research of Jeff Deeney, analyst for Pro Football Focus. Success on first down is defined as a gain of more than 3 yards. This season, the 49ers' success rate on first down is just 44.7 percent. In the team's 23-20 loss to the New Orleans Saints on Sunday, the 49ers routinely found themselves in second-and-long situations after using "22" personnel on 14 of their 22 first-down plays." http://www.csnbayarea.com/49ers/49ers-offense-not-experiencing-catch-22
So that's the formation where we only have one Wr on the field.

Vance McDonald hasn't given us much production. No surprise these two tight ends aren't working as well as they did with Delanie last season.
[ Edited by Hopper on Nov 22, 2013 at 12:52 PM ]
Yes it is. Also, it's a little unfair to compare McDonald to Walker's role with us b/c right now, d/t the complexities of this offense, MILLER is the Walker role (3rd on the team in targets). The bottom line is, we haven't used McDonald as an AR much (save for a low % pass here and there). And he's still young and has been, for the first 2/3rds of season, honing in on blocking. Once Roman starts utilizing McDonald in the safety net/soft zones/as an AR (if ever), he is going to be a nightmare mismatch for LBers and DB's.
[ Edited by NCommand on Nov 22, 2013 at 1:03 PM ]
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Not counting him out yet, but I simply don't share your optimism for McDonald. He just hasn't done much outside of blocking.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Yes it is. Also, it's a little unfair to compare McDonald to Walker's role with us b/c right now, d/t the complexities of this offense, MILLER is the Walker role (3rd on the team in targets). The bottom line is, we haven't used McDonald as an AR much (save for a low % pass here and there). And he's still young and has been, for the first 2/3rds of season, honing in on blocking. Once Roman starts utilizing McDonald in the safety net/soft zones/as an AR (if ever), he is going to be a nightmare mismatch for LBers and DB's.

AR?
After seeing all the times Kap misses open people I don't blame Roman for s**t. He can't make Kap have vision down the damn field.
Rarely do I disagree with NC and others who so badly want another WR, esp thru draft. My comment would be, "WHY?" Under our current OC and HC, he would only be of importance to us when he was the designated receiver (AR1). Hell we got Baldwin, Vance, hunter, LMJ all as receivers besides #81 and #85. Do we use them.? NOPE. Hence the question, why bring in another receiver when we have 5 bona fide receivers virtually every play, but only one gets designated.? Another WR would probably be used the same way,ie, not much.

Therefore rather than drafting another WR who currently would not get used unless he was the AR1, just FIRE ROMAN. What , does roman have some secret on jim, that is causing JH to keep him on here? It can't be from roman's sterling performance, because he was bad when alex was here and has gotten worse with kap. OK, sure, maybe kap is intellectually challenged at Qb, finding anyone other than AR1. Still, it seems that simple plays like, "kap, both WRs are going to split out same distance, on either side of the OTs. They are both going to go down and break in, a crossing pattern. If one isn't open the other will be, and he will be in your field of vision". Certainly something juvenile like that kap could do. I have read all the points backing up the one designated receiver only, but still, roman could have done better than what he has done with high school plays. What in the world is this thread still doing here? Don't tell me roman is still in our OC? Good grief , Jim, are you trying to get fired with your fake pro OC? C'mon, man. Fire him.
at this point there won't be a change. i just hope that everything said in here reaches his ears he opens it up and we do what we are supposed to do.

Originally posted by Allx9er:
AR?

He thinks we mainly run plays that consist of only one target (receiver) being available to be thrown to. I think that's his take, but forgive me if I am off on this, NC.
Roman predicts the offense is going to pop. Interesting...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/11/22/greg-roman-49ers-offense-is-going-to-pop/?ocid=Yahoo&partner=ya5nbcs
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
AR?

He thinks we mainly run plays that consist of only one target (receiver) being available to be thrown to. I think that's his take, but forgive me if I am off on this, NC.

I thought the 9er offense used WR for blocking only and CK has a difficult time finding them because they are going low for the block...my bad!
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
AR?

I thought the 9er offense used WR for blocking only and CK has a difficult time finding them because they are going low for the block...my bad!

Miller and Staley are our only receiving options. Everybody else must block
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
AR?

Miller and Staley are our only receiving options. Everybody else must block

But what a power duo! Biggest WRs in the entire universe!
Share 49ersWebzone