There are 224 users in the forums

Greg Roman, is he really good?

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by jonesadrian:
Originally posted by verb1der:
The only way to explain all this....is to buy into the theory that they're purposely hiding "Kaep the passer" until the playoffs! And then BOOM, we get the Green Bay game all over again.

they'll be hiding him until next year if they continue to throw games

and greg roman will be hiding in a dunkin donuts filling out resumes for college jobs

Just watch, come playoff time, the passing game will explode like Kaep's debut on MNF vs Bears. No one seen that coming at the time (except for me and few others), but you know what I mean.
Aye carumba! I guess CK isn't the only 49er that only sees half of the field. At this point I can't figure out if it is Roman's arrogance or ignorance that makes him oblivious to what the defenses are doing.
Originally posted by Ronnie49Lott:
Aye carumba! I guess CK isn't the only 49er that only sees half of the field. At this point I can't figure out if it is Roman's arrogance or ignorance that makes him oblivious to what the defenses are doing.

ck can see the full field.

roman is taking half of it away. i contend that ck is following the orders literally that they are telling him. so if someone comes open doesn't matter. he's following instructions to the letter.

like i said i believe its "this plays goes here"
instead of "this play you can do this this this or this and then this"

they've always been conservative that was the problem when alex was qb
and they've reverted right back to going conservative again but this time its idiotic conservative football. at least the 1st time they went conservative we would run the ball and get field goals.

if they at least did that we'd be 9-1 right now

lol
Just watch, come playoff time, the passing game will explode like Kaep's debut on MNF vs Bears. No one seen that coming at the time (except for me and few others), but you know what I mean.

you must mean roman will be smacked around and made to understand

It's beyond belief. Defense is playing 3 in coverage.........offense utilizes 2 receivers and leaves everyone else to block.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
The only way to explain all this....is to buy into the theory that they're purposely hiding "Kaep the passer" until the playoffs! And then BOOM, we get the Green Bay game all over again.

they'll be hiding him until next year if they continue to throw games

and greg roman will be hiding in a dunkin donuts filling out resumes for college jobs

you do realize were fighting with the cardinals, bears, lions, cowboys, and theoretically the packers and Giants for the 6th seed right? Maintaining our slight grip on the 6th and final spot will not be easy.

I understand you're being positive but much like last year it is naive for any fan to seriously think that they are intentionally being this conservative. Being 32nd in passing offense and narrowly losing or winning games does not bode well for post season play.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
It's beyond belief. Defense is playing 3 in coverage.........offense utilizes 2 receivers and leaves everyone else to block.

and they did it all game. so the offensive staff is literally NOT watching the game between series or looking at pictures on the sidelines or anything else

they're just huddled up drinking coffee and throwing darts at plays to trot out there next series.
Here is an article about Ryans defensive approach vs. SF http://blackandgoldreview.com/2013/11/19/rob-ryan-saints-defense-dominated-49ers/
Here is an article about Ryans defensive approach vs. SF http://blackandgoldreview.com/2013/11/19/rob-ryan-saints-defense-dominated-49ers/

which is it though @ the title. our offense hasn't been good all year but instead they give other teams credit in stopping us..when we haven't been potent.

how about credit to a defense that held the panthers to 2 scoring drives after what they did to the patriots

and us completely slowing drew brees down at home after what they did to the cowboys
Originally posted by sfout:
you do realize were fighting with the cardinals, bears, lions, cowboys, and theoretically the packers and Giants for the 6th seed right? Maintaining our slight grip on the 6th and final spot will not be easy.

I understand you're being positive but much like last year it is naive for any fan to seriously think that they are intentionally being this conservative. Being 32nd in passing offense and narrowly losing or winning games does not bode well for post season play.

I can't believe even the Jags are ahead of us.. ridiculous

Originally posted by Allx9er:
The D is not not the problem this year. They've done everything possible to help this team win.

They still aren't read option dependent. To be able get to championship moments with 2 different qbs one of whom hasnt even started 2 full seasons and the other who had his own limitations is pretty good.

Am I happy with the development of this offense as a whole from play calling to personnel packages from injuries and infusion of rookies/2nd year players? No!
Imho a part of the problem is that the play calling hasn't changed. The lack of development/envolvemt of some younger players as well as the huge injury to crabs has retarded the growth of this offense as a whole. From building a function unit/philosophy to tweaking it as needed on the fly.

If it was that easy for teams to be successful running any old 3 wr's out there and be successful then everybody would do it. Kinda of an exaggeration just say you run short, you run medium and you run long.

With its current personnel and with he addition of crabs hopefully we an see improvement for the last games its a stretch to say best.

everybody does do trot 3 wr's out there and that's why everybody passes for more yards than us every game....lol

look at the top passing teams look at the saints we played. they weren't running complex routes on us. he just had multiple options pretty much the same every down. somebody is stretching the field someone is underneath and somebody is check down. and if more go out then he has another option.. but that's the constant. he was taking the check down majority of the game and hit on a couple of the people who ran long. but it was the same...
the system.
look at the packers system. tolzien is throwing for 300 yards to who? how is it that every wr that steps in there seems to be able to get open you mean boldin and manningham and baldwin are all lesser than players the packers wouldn't even be playing if it weren't for injuries?

so because lmj and hunter have 3 catches combined on the year that means that they aren't good at screens or in space?

let's call it what it is.

roman is the one who has regressed to a fetal state. and has taken the offense along with it.

not sure why you mentioned the d ive been championing their cause all around this forum.

its not hard to top about 160/game but relying on 3 wr's isn't the only set that can produce an effective passing attack.

the saints have an established offensive philosophy that has its HC/offensive guru back at the wheel. besides the return of meachum(sp) i dont they had a whole lot of turnover on that side of the ball, the factors that limited them are not shared by the niners. it doesn't hurt to have a field general and all that he brings to the offense leading the O.

tolzein is experiencing the flynn zone atm and idc what kind of numbers he puts up until he can become a teams no1 qb. once again gb has a vetren offensive unit with an established/successful passing philosophy that revolves around rogers and his all world ability. we all know how much it helps when the when the qb not only has all the ability but also knows his offense in and out. defenses are much less likely able to confuse a qb who has all the tools and total command of a stable scheme which of course includes the passing game. in gb's case they they can survive the bumps in the road because of the stability of the scheme, and in the short term they can do well with lord tolzein because teams haven't been able to scout him as of yet.

"how is it that every wr that steps in there seems to be able to get open you mean boldin and manningham and baldwin are all lesser than players the packers wouldn't even be playing if it weren't for injuries?"

boldin is a great chain mover but he should not be a no1 wr on any team at this point in his career. rio at his best has never been more then a good no3. as for baldwin, if the chiefs were willing to swap him out for our bust of a pick then he couldnt have been that good in the first place, and imho in the end some teams lean/build their passing game like the niners do their running game (keep in mind im not condoning or condemning this approach im just throwing that idea out there)if thats the case this problem starts with harbaugh especially since the offense is his specialty.

im under the impression that the passing game and all that comes with it derives from geep and morton. how the niners involve the passing attack ultimately falls on those coaches primarily charged with that aspect of the game game plan as well as the HC, sure roman has a hand in the overall incorporation but as i understand it ( and i could be completely wrong) romans main duty is the running game.

asst. coordinators that run a muck normally don't last that long, if they do the HC gets fired. harbaugh aint dumb and im pretty sure his assistants aren't crafting game plans that he isn't 100% aware of. hell, he's the last person kaep hears in the mike, harbaugh shares some blame.

there are a lot of us laying the blame at his feet alone, at moments including myself. but this isnt all his fault.

you brought up the d "the problem we had at the end of the season last year was the defense" post#1127.
ill properly reply to the rest of your post but as far as the d goes in that post i was referring to how the offense carried the defense at the end of last year which it did.
and was alluding to how the offense didn't need to change the defense did, and it did...this was supposed to be the year we put it together.

1st year under jim if we had last year's offense we would have won the super bowl

last year under jim if we had 1st year's defense with last year's offense...we win the super bowl

this was supposed to be the year where we finally put it altogether and instead its back to defense elite offense not. that's what i was getting at
its not hard to top about 160/game but relying on 3 wr's isn't the only set that can produce an effective passing attack.

the saints have an established offensive philosophy that has its HC/offensive guru back at the wheel. besides the return of meachum(sp) i dont they had a whole lot of turnover on that side of the ball, the factors that limited them are not shared by the niners. it doesn't hurt to have a field general and all that he brings to the offense leading the O.

tolzein is experiencing the flynn zone atm and idc what kind of numbers he puts up until he can become a teams no1 qb. once again gb has a vetren offensive unit with an established/successful passing philosophy that revolves around rogers and his all world ability. we all know how much it helps when the when the qb not only has all the ability but also knows his offense in and out. defenses are much less likely able to confuse a qb who has all the tools and total command of a stable scheme which of course includes the passing game. in gb's case they they can survive the bumps in the road because of the stability of the scheme, and in the short term they can do well with lord tolzein because teams haven't been able to scout him as of yet.

"how is it that every wr that steps in there seems to be able to get open you mean boldin and manningham and baldwin are all lesser than players the packers wouldn't even be playing if it weren't for injuries?"

boldin is a great chain mover but he should not be a no1 wr on any team at this point in his career. rio at his best has never been more then a good no3. as for baldwin, if the chiefs were willing to swap him out for our bust of a pick then he couldnt have been that good in the first place, and imho in the end some teams lean/build their passing game like the niners do their running game (keep in mind im not condoning or condemning this approach im just throwing that idea out there)if thats the case this problem starts with harbaugh especially since the offense is his specialty.

im under the impression that the passing game and all that comes with it derives from geep and morton. how the niners involve the passing attack ultimately falls on those coaches primarily charged with that aspect of the game game plan as well as the HC, sure roman has a hand in the overall incorporation but as i understand it ( and i could be completely wrong) romans main duty is the running game.

asst. coordinators that run a muck normally don't last that long, if they do the HC gets fired. harbaugh aint dumb and im pretty sure his assistants aren't crafting game plans that he isn't 100% aware of. hell, he's the last person kaep hears in the mike, harbaugh shares some blame.

there are a lot of us laying the blame at his feet alone, at moments including myself. but this isnt all his fault.

you brought up the d "the problem we had at the end of the season last year was the defense" post#1127.

we aren't far apart. we are saying its the philosophy and the system.
which means ours needs to change whoever is in charge of designing the passing plays. it needs to open up and we need to use all of our personnel. we don't do that. i don't know if i would even be angry if we tried to use everyone and it was just the wrong way or something.
we don't even try to use people at all nvm the wrong way, not even in any way or obvious ways.

boldin is a great chain mover but he should not be a no1 wr on any team at this point in his career. rio at his best has never been more then a good no3. as for baldwin, if the chiefs were willing to swap him out for our bust of a pick then he couldnt have been that good in the first place

I don't know about this, man. Boldin's been a God-send to SF, but he can't catch what is not thrown to him. Boldin was impressing the heck out of everyone here in the first quarter of the season... coincidentally, he averaged about 9 targets per game. The last 6 games, he has had under 4 targets per game. Boldin is old, and won't get behind too many CBs these days... but he has a nice catch radius and strong hands to come down with anything reasonably thrown to him. He is really just an older Crabtree with a little better ability to catch in traffic, but a little less YAC ability.

... and Rio is a solid #2... not spectacular..
... and Baldwin just needed a fresh start somewhere else. Talented, but hasn't put it all together. He has been thrown to EIGHT times since being a 49er.

You just cant know what you have in some receivers until you throw the ball to them. Otherwise, it's just what allowed personnel can see during the practice weeks. Looking ahead, SF needs to spend a high draft pick on WR... no doubt about that much.
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:

boldin is a great chain mover but he should not be a no1 wr on any team at this point in his career. rio at his best has never been more then a good no3. as for baldwin, if the chiefs were willing to swap him out for our bust of a pick then he couldnt have been that good in the first place

I don't know about this, man. Boldin's been a God-send to SF, but he can't catch what is not thrown to him. Boldin was impressing the heck out of everyone here in the first quarter of the season... coincidentally, he averaged about 9 targets per game. The last 6 games, he has had under 4 targets per game. Boldin is old, and won't get behind too many CBs these days... but he has a nice catch radius and strong hands to come down with anything reasonably thrown to him. He is really just an older Crabtree with a little better ability to catch in traffic, but a little less YAC ability.

... and Rio is a solid #2... not spectacular..
... and Baldwin just needed a fresh start somewhere else. Talented, but hasn't put it all together. He has been thrown to EIGHT times since being a 49er.

You just cant know what you have in some receivers until you throw the ball to them. Otherwise, it's just what allowed personnel can see during the practice weeks. Looking ahead, SF needs to spend a high draft pick on WR... no doubt about that much.

100% spot ON!
Share 49ersWebzone