LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 233 users in the forums

Greg Roman, is he really good?

Shop 49ers game tickets
JH just needs to take over the play calling.
Originally posted by aTx49er:
Don't you get tired of saying the same thing over and over again? Who are you guys trying to convince? Just curious?

You didn't know that Jed York reads posts in NT to help gauge the fan base?
Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:
JH just needs to take over the play calling.

Can someone who has watched colleged football objectively tell me if this looks like the Stanford offense? Is their passing game predicated on a single AR as well? More diverse? Game plan to attack defensive weaknesses? Do they take the play down to 1 second before snaping it? Basically, are both offenses the same? Please give me some counter-differences IF different. I'm trying to gauge if Harbaugh is in bed with this offense as much as Roman is calling it. If so, there would no be point in letting Harbaugh call the plays...we're just screwed until Harbaugh is willing to completely scrap HIS entire offensive philosophy and bring in a professional.
[ Edited by NCommand on Nov 19, 2013 at 8:15 AM ]
Once again, we see things on TV that are so glaring, but he does not call them. Against Carolina, they were begging to give up some big plays with a screen play. Now, against the Saints, they were begging to give up the play action pass out of I-form. He just does not recognize these things, and does not capitalize.

I will give credit where it is due. He called a few more plays to get Kap moving on the edge, and they seemed to work. The problem is that he does not stick with these things, and he continuously resorts back to old plays that do not work. See jumbo packages and read option plays.
Originally posted by TheRatMan13:
Once again, we see things on TV that are so glaring, but he does not call them. Against Carolina, they were begging to give up some big plays with a screen play. Now, against the Saints, they were begging to give up the play action pass out of I-form. He just does not recognize these things, and does not capitalize.

I will give credit where it is due. He called a few more plays to get Kap moving on the edge, and they seemed to work. The problem is that he does not stick with these things, and he continuously resorts back to old plays that do not work. See jumbo packages and read option plays.

Spot on. Here is the difference between a good DC and a poor OC. Iupati gets hurts and in the critical drive from the 20 (to get in FG position with over 2 minutes to go), their DC calls a blitz right where Iupati would have been resulting in a 9 yard loss. Brilliant. Denver is facing KC and game plans to target the youngest and newest CB on the team in Marcus Cooper (won more than lost). Brilliant. Goldson knocks out Brown in the NFC Championship game, Eli immediately goes after Brock for a TD.

Roman? We try a deeper pass with Baldwin (s/h been a P.I.) and the Saints CB blows out his knee. Do we target his replacement one time after that? You already highlighted how real teams counter the blitz, or stacking the box and run blitzing, etc. And I don't want to hear any crap about personnel or the QB's indecisiveness or confidence. Even in this basic college offense, Roman can scheme an AR each time to counter what the defenses are CLEARLY doing.

Like one poster said, if a casual fan can sit on his couch with a beer and easily predict not only whether it will be a run or pass by formation alone but to WHERE we are going with the ball with 80-90% accuracy, then how easy is it for professional DC's to figure out. We have seen all year defensive players (with the dot's on their helmet) call out audibles once they see our formations.

And sadly, this is as good as it gets. We "may" win a game against a team with a winning record at the time we play them but most likely not. This isn't dismissing the culture we have of self-destructing in every facet of a big game esp. at critical times. But this thread is on Roman and HaRoMan's offensive philsophy so let's stick to the topic here.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:
Spot on. Here is the difference between a good DC and a poor OC. Iupati gets hurts and in the critical drive from the 20 (to get in FG position with over 2 minutes to go), their DC calls a blitz right where Iupati would have been resulting in a 9 yard loss. Brilliant. Denver is facing KC and game plans to target the youngest and newest CB on the team in Marcus Cooper (won more than lost). Brilliant. Goldson knocks out Brown in the NFC Championship game, Eli immediately goes after Brock for a TD.

Roman? We try a deeper pass with Baldwin (s/h been a P.I.) and the Saints CB blows out his knee. Do we target his replacement one time after that? You already highlighted how real teams counter the blitz, or stacking the box and run blitzing, etc. And I don't want to hear any crap about personnel or the QB's indecisiveness or confidence. Even in this basic college offense, Roman can scheme an AR each time to counter what the defenses are CLEARLY doing.

Like one poster said, if a casual fan can sit on his couch with a beer and easily predict not only whether it will be a run or pass by formation alone but to WHERE we are going with the ball with 80-90% accuracy, then how easy is it for professional DC's to figure out. We have seen all year defensive players (with the dot's on their helmet) call out audibles once they see our formations.

And sadly, this is as good as it gets. We "may" win a game against a team with a winning record at the time we play them but most likely not. This isn't dismissing the culture we have of self-destructing in every facet of a big game esp. at critical times. But this thread is on Roman and HaRoMan's offensive philsophy so let's stick to the topic here.
what exactly is the philosophy? cuz i do not see it. and in regards to people who do not like what i say or how much i say it in regards to roman,, you know what i am going to say and you know how i have felt about roman since last year when others had him as the grand marshal of the maceys thanksgiving day parade.. so do not read it if it bothers them so much
Don't you get tired of saying the same thing over and over again? Who are you guys trying to convince? Just curious?

Oh OK it all makes sense now.

Oh OK it all makes sense now.

LOL! It's cathartic...nothing more. Venting here helps preserve our sanity in the real-world.
Originally posted by cciowa:
what exactly is the philosophy? cuz i do not see it. and in regards to people who do not like what i say or how much i say it in regards to roman,, you know what i am going to say and you know how i have felt about roman since last year when others had him as the grand marshal of the maceys thanksgiving day parade.. so do not read it if it bothers them so much

there is no philosophy
only a belief.
"whatever i draw up will work and i do not need to change the scheme the players need to execute better"

it's never a play calling issue its always "we just need to execute"

this means nobody thinks any of this is a problem.

when gore doesn't get carries... he had 13 for 46
13 more that's 96... that's 26 for 96 yards that's ball control that's field goal range that's a victory..

same with the panthers but worse 15 more runs we win that going away because at worst we're in field goal range at least 2 more times....

the COORDINATOR has regressed
the offense worked last season under alex and then became unstoppable under kap same offense with a pistol wrinkle

so what do they do?

totally change the offense for unknown reasons...

its sickening
Originally posted by cciowa:

LOL. What exactly is the philosophy? THAT is the million-dollar question right there. Even Chucky said, "I don't know what the heck this offense is..."

I'm still waiting for a college fan to help e out on this one...anyone? See post #1047

The biggest issue is he hasn't adjusted his play calling to the strengths of the current wr core.

he had delanie and crab and moss last year and delanie and moss created a lot of space for crab and vd to operate by their presence on the field

we haven't adequately replaced Moss or Delanie and roman hasn't changed the route concepts to help the current wr crew out and we're stuck in this pathetic passing game
He's really good in losing games!
Can we hang him in effigy at a game?

Now that would really send a message!
What in the hell is roman still doing here? Is Coach Harbaugh blind?
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Can we hang him in effigy at a game?

Now that would really send a message!

How about something like this? http://nfl.si.com/2013/11/17/fire-jeff-ireland-banner-miami-dolphins/
Share 49ersWebzone