LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 274 users in the forums

Greg Roman, is he really good?

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by cciowa:
they must have missed the super bowl or at least the last three plays

Overall, he is VERY creative but i think he overthinks, sometimes. At times, I think he fails to utilize what the team does best-RUN THE BALL.

I just hope that Harbs will have more say nxt year about play calling....
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pdizo916:
they must have missed the super bowl or at least the last three plays

Overall, he is VERY creative but i think he overthinks, sometimes. At times, I think he fails to utilize what the team does best-RUN THE BALL.

I just hope that Harbs will have more say nxt year about play calling....
like i said,, he gets to cute! there were more than a few times when i wish the coach would have hit roman on the head with a clipboard and taken over. now of course this does not mean i want jimmy ray back . i think it is way ok to be critical of the coaches, even for all the good things they have done for us over the last two years, they are not immune
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
Originally posted by JustinNiner:
Roman is a genius at designing plays, creating new formations, and preparing his offense but he lacks consistency in his play calling especially when it counts
of course this is the truth. he called two good games in a row during the playoffs but failed us on the biggest stage of the game. he gets cute at the worst possible moments in my opinion,. reverse in the rain in a nfc title game, fake toss fumble at your own goal line and of course second and goal from the five with the best running game in the nfl and best run blocking line in the nfl,, even after little james got two yards against a run heavy defense on first down. and not to even give the guys a ahh forget it

that pitch play in the 4th quarter to Ginn against the Rams cost us a W ...that was the worst possible time to call that kind of play ....oh well ,. you live and you learn eh ?
i thought he learned when i saw the games he called vs the packers and falcons but then came the last three plays in the super bowl. oh well on and upward
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
Originally posted by JustinNiner:
Roman is a genius at designing plays, creating new formations, and preparing his offense but he lacks consistency in his play calling especially when it counts
of course this is the truth. he called two good games in a row during the playoffs but failed us on the biggest stage of the game. he gets cute at the worst possible moments in my opinion,. reverse in the rain in a nfc title game, fake toss fumble at your own goal line and of course second and goal from the five with the best running game in the nfl and best run blocking line in the nfl,, even after little james got two yards against a run heavy defense on first down. and not to even give the guys a ahh forget it

that pitch play in the 4th quarter to Ginn against the Rams cost us a W ...that was the worst possible time to call that kind of play ....oh well ,. you live and you learn eh ?
i thought he learned when i saw the games he called vs the packers and falcons but then came the last three plays in the super bowl. oh well on and upward
Doesnt Geep call the RZ plays?
He has a formation fetish. It takes away from the flow of the offense. He doesn't focus on Gore enough. He wasn't subtle in using CK. He exposed CK as a crazy monster stud too soon. The whole pistol thing is untenable long term. The read option is untenable, long term. Having said all that, I think he is getting OJT. He will see what has worked in the past, and get with it.
How is the pistol untenable? I understand the read option, but the pistol is going to be a hard formation for teams to counter on defense.
He's not very good when you are at the 5 yard line in the Super Bowl with 1 minute left.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
He's not very good when you are at the 5 yard line in the Super Bowl with 1 minute left.

exactly it! Roman is suck!
Originally posted by LoneWolf:
How is the pistol untenable? I understand the read option, but the pistol is going to be a hard formation for teams to counter on defense.

Yeah, I meant the read option, really.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
sd said nothing wrong

sd said nothing wrong

If he was really as bad as some of the posters here make him out to be, we would have never been in that position in the first place.
He's really good but he has those 4 downs at the 7 yard line on his resume that will take some doing to get rid of.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by KegBert:
sd said nothing wrong

If he was really as bad as some of the posters here make him out to be, we would have never been in that position in the first place.
but we were in that position. I am not giving him a pass for blowing it at crunch time just because he "got us there" he did not finish, he went into a fetal position, he did not play to our stregnths and that is what made me and makes me upset
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal

or when calling option pitch to Ginn when leading late in the 4th quarter backed up against the goal line.
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Yeah, I meant the read option, really.

Ok cuz i can see the pistol becoming a major part of our game for while because what it can do for our passing game and running game even if kaep never had to leave to pocket again.
Share 49ersWebzone