There are 169 users in the forums

Greg Roman, is he really good?

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Realistically he should, there's no excuse for coming out this flat after having two weeks to prepare for this team. I don't trust Harbaugh to ever do that, when it comes to players, they'll axe them in a minute, but with coaches, Harbaugh seems to have a lot of personal relationships with these guys and I don't know if he's objective enough to drop the hammer when needed.

roman should be fired its simple.

the formula was right there just like the rams game from last year they blitzed us and played off the wr's throw quick passes and screens. run with power.

we didn't do any of it gore needs to raise hell and the defense too

they gave up 2 scoring drives

Originally posted by Jcool:
Scored 32 point on AZ a top 10 defense. Scored 34 points on a good Texans D. Tennessee has the #7 defense we scored 31

In all those games the 49ers were buffered by huge takeaways on defense, in Arizona the defense scored 2 points with a safety and led to another 13 points after turnovers. Point me out a game against a high quality defense where the offense, the OFFENSE, took it to a team, beat them up and lit them up, wins against struggling teams like Houston and Tennessee who got beat by the Jaguars are meaningless to me.

When has this offense come out looking sharp against a winning team with a high quality defense?

It hasn't because Kaepernick is not the Franchise QB everyone wants him to be and Harbaugh and Roman are not the great coaches everyone THINKS they are!
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Yeah but guess what, when you get turnovers deep in the other teams territory and get an automatic field goal as a result, just as they did twice in the Cardinals game, you don't put those points on "good offense."

Fine... Roman sucks... The offense did nothing in those games... We only scored because of how great the defense played.
Hey, Kap played like dogmeat today, the exact same way he played the last 4 downs of the SB ,, the same way he played against INDY and SEA. Face it, kap is all world, great body, great athlete, that folds under pressure against elite teams with the BIG PASS RUSH. He is terrible. TERRIBLE. But to compliment the fact that kap has virtually no accuracy against big rush teams, roman kept calling 5-7 step drops, the OL couldn't handle the passrush and kap folded under pressure. He sure looks good against the Tampa Bays, but he looks AWFUL against the elites. Matter of fact he looked horrible against the last 3 elites we played. Horrible.

Now as for master roman, he is master of scheming overwhelming victorious game plans against weak sister teams, scoring 35 pts/game. But against tough teams, roman still hasn't realized we didn't play Tampa today, so he called for the big pass plays, instead of the 1-3 steppers...which were open all game long. Roman may be a genius, especially against poor teams. But he isn't worth diddly when the opposition is tough, the pass rush is big. He is a very good college coach, and he will OC over 10 maybe 11 or 12 wins this yr. But he can't coach his way out of a wet paper bag against tough teams. As GM said, it looked as if he wasn't even looking at the failed plays he just called and then called more 5-7 step drops in spite of the OL being unable to give kap any time. Roman needs to go the sideline and actually watch his plays as they fail. His 3rd down calls were brilliant, just brilliant. We need 4 yds and he calls for a pass that takes 7 steps, and then Kap folds up like a wet diaper and immediately disappears under the rush. That wasn't bad OC calls, those were inexcusable. I humbly submit...again...for roman to return to college where he belongs and gives us a chance to win the tough games. It is obvious, the NFL is just one step too big for master roman.

Coach H, do your job, call your own plays, and let's see what this team can do. With roman "helping" you, you are nothing more than a 10-12 Ws coach and then out in the first or second playoff game. Why? Because your OC is just killing this team in big games against elite teams. Send roman on home and call the game yourself. The playcalls your team and OC have made against elite teams is unacceptable...frankly, embarrassing. You changed QBs in mid stream last yr. Fire your OC and coach your own darn team on Offense. Roman is your Trojan horse. Looks good against poor teams, and has no idea how to game plan and play call against elite teams.

I think roman's mentality is all college. Win over 80% of your games and you keep your job. Hint to roman: that is for college, bubba, not the NFL.
Originally posted by ejroland:
This game plan or lack there of is PARTIALLY Harbaugh's as well!

its on him and greg.

solely we can bash kap as much as you like i just want to know when the offense was in prime position and he just messed up totally?

i want to know where the lanes were open all game and he didn't do his job.

every 7 step drop he was under pressure, every single one.

no screens

on quick hitting plays he completed passes but they didn't dial those up

and did attempt to run the ball with gore when it mattered.

this should have been an easy win. you come out and have 3 scoring opportunities you should get 1 td. 1td and 2 field goals gives us a w today. cause it was clear the panthers were not scoring on our defense after the end of the 1st half
Fine... Roman sucks... The offense did nothing in those games... We only scored because of how great the defense played.

That's probably the most sensible thing you've said. Since Roman has been here, this team has regularly preyed on weak defenses, but has struggled to do much of anything against quality defenses. There's times you'll struggle to do much of anything against a very good defense but when it becomes a habit and a consistent occurrence, that just tells me the playcalling is absolute s**t.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the guy trying to play quarterback go to the line of scrimmage with more than 1 play and then decide which of those plays will be best based on the look the D gives? THAT is where the blame lies.
Originally posted by NinerGM:
I blame them both, but a QB will have good and bad games, Roman constantly is outcoached/out-strategized by good defensive teams. When's the last time he came up with a good gameplan against a high quality defense? Everytime this team struggles early, sometimes they get it going like against Atlanta and Baltimore in the playoffs, sometimes they completely s**t the bed like against Seattle, Indy and now Carolina.

Scored 32 point on AZ a top 10 defense. Scored 34 points on a good Texans D. Tennessee has the #7 defense we scored 31

Hidden in those numbers are points off of turnovers - and how many really short fields the offense was given by superior defensive play.

rushing offense was still looking really good in those games... Its not all on the defense.

The defense is the ONLY reason we won those games!
Roman is a genius
Originally posted by gunslinger8:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the guy trying to play quarterback go to the line of scrimmage with more than 1 play and then decide which of those plays will be best based on the look the D gives? THAT is where the blame lies.

LOL.....so Kaepernick could have called a run against a loaded box, or a 7 step drop and throw against a highly active pass rush....hmm....so many choices.

Roman can kick rocks

Chryst can kick rocks

Morton can kick rocks
Roman can EAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Originally posted by gunslinger8:

LOL.....so Kaepernick could have called a run against a loaded box, or a 7 step drop and throw against a highly active pass rush....hmm....so many choices.

Were those really his options? Damn you have GREAT inside information. Who exactly let you in on this?
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Not if the plays you're allowed to audible are also terrible options. The real question is why aren't there more designed short passes? I think a bigger question is with all the talent we have at RB you rarely if ever (other than Bruce Miller) see them used as receivers out of the backfield. Who would you think would be better in space - Bruce Miller or LMJ? I'm not saying Kap has no blame here, but it's really tough for me to hold a 2nd year starter accountable for such a monumental loss when the opening play calls/sets were 7-step drops and empty backfields against a D that had been crushing pass protection all game. That yells coaching/game-plan to me. It's like what were the offensive coaches looking at on film for 2 weeks.

I am seeing other 2nd year QB's continue to grow and develop. I am seeing our QB decline now that the league has caught on to our gimmicky offense. Can you tell me 1 area Colin has improved on since last year? And endorsements don't count.
reallly questioning our coaches adjustments against a good defense
Share 49ersWebzone