LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 236 users in the forums

Greg Roman, is he really good?

Shop 49ers game tickets
That is partly in fun, but roman would have to have Coach H's blessing to do so. At end of season an OC or DC can move to HC elsewhere. There may have to be compensation(Jon Gruden to Tampa), but a team can't prevent an OC or DC from taking over HC elsewhere if under contract, BUT AFTER THE SEASON ENDS. During the season I don't think that applies. OCs and DCs stay put during the season.
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on Nov 1, 2013 at 11:48 AM ]
Bruce Miller:
13 for 158

Delanie 8 games into last year:
7 for 89

Vance McDonald:
6 for 86.

Fellas, I have a feeling Roman has no plan for the 2nd TE. Wasted pick?

Delanie this year:
23 for 237
[ Edited by Joecool on Nov 1, 2013 at 12:30 PM ]
Originally posted by Joecool:
Bruce Miller:
13 for 158

7 for 89

Vance McDonald:
6 for 86.

Delanie this year:
23 for 237

delaine is a starter in Tennessee and really the #2 receiving guy so unfair to compare now and before when he was #2 tight end and second fiddle to vernon. plus he dropped some balls with us. McDonald will be fine. I think he gets going as the year goes on. Celek is a waste of space
Originally posted by KD49ers:
delaine is a starter in Tennessee and really the #2 receiving guy so unfair to compare now and before when he was #2 tight end and second fiddle to vernon. plus he dropped some balls with us. McDonald will be fine. I think he gets going as the year goes on. Celek is a waste of space

Nonsense. He is on this team and continues to play because he has been a very good blocker. He busts his ass when it comes to blocking, to that extent, he'll always find a roster spot somewhere.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Nonsense. He is on this team and continues to play because he has been a very good blocker. He busts his ass when it comes to blocking, to that extent, he'll always find a roster spot somewhere.

you can always find good blocking tight ends. they should of kept gray or cooper the DB. you can always find a guy like Celek
Bruce Miller:
13 for 158

7 for 89

Vance McDonald:
6 for 86.

Delanie this year:
23 for 237

Yeah but don't we run more two tight end sets? One would think that Vance has an advantage over most LBs. Miller is a FB and getting way more touches. Vance should at least be used for goaline when defenses are focused on VD and Quan.
Yeah but don't we run more two tight end sets? One would think that Vance has an advantage over most LBs. Miller is a FB and getting way more touches. Vance should at least be used for goaline when defenses are focused on VD and Quan.

I think Vance is still learning the system and how to run routes. Patience

I don't know, Miller had 11 catches for 83 yards in 2011. One would think, since Vance's job is to catch balls, he would be used more, especially with the injuries at the receiver positions.
In another thread there was discussion whether kap didn't feel comfortable throwing to vance and boldin vs HaRo didn't feel comfortable calling the plays for vance and roman. I think I vote for the latter.
you can always find good blocking tight ends. they should of kept gray or cooper the DB. you can always find a guy like Celek

Can you please enlighten me on how Gray is tearing sh*t up in Cleveland? Thank you.

Bruce Miller:
13 for 158

7 for 89

Vance McDonald:
6 for 86.

Delanie this year:
23 for 237

Yikes. Perhaps you are right. Considering that the utilization of tightends is typically easier than receivers since they are bigger targets that operate between the hash, I'm starting to believe that Greg Romans "genius" resides solely in the run game.
Originally posted by Imfasterthanur:
Yikes. Perhaps you are right. Considering that the utilization of tightends is typically easier than receivers since they are bigger targets that operate between the hash, I'm starting to believe that Greg Romans "genius" resides solely in the run game.

You're just figuring that out? He doesn't know how to design a decent pass play much less call one for Vance. He is a glorified running coach :P.
Originally posted by K1ngCoopa24:
Originally posted by Imfasterthanur:

You're just figuring that out? He doesn't know how to design a decent pass play much less call one for Vance. He is a glorified running coach :P.

Considering that his receiving corps have consisted of [minus Michael Crabtree and Anquan Bolding] Kyle Williams, Teddy Ginn, Marlon Moore, AJ Jenkins, Chad Hall, and Brett Swain I always gave him the benefit of the doubt.

But as they say, the numbers don't lie, the underutilization of Vance THIS year in particular is revealing much more than the two years prior.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran

I don't know, Miller had 11 catches for 83 yards in 2011. One would think, since Vance's job is to catch balls, he would be used more, especially with the injuries at the receiver positions.

I think Roman has found a way to successfully integrate the FB in our passing game, and that itself has taken opportunities away from Vance McDonald and other offensive players.

Also, we've put more focus on our run game. Colin Kaepernick has averaged about 21 passes per game during our 5 game winning streak, while we've rushed for an average 38 times per game in the same time period.

In contrast, Alex Smith and the Chiefs has averaged about 32 passes per game and 28 rushes per game in the same time period.

With Kaepernick's trust in Vernon and Anquan, Roman's focus on integrating Bruce Miller as a primary weapon on offensive plays, and a reduction in pass play calls is resulting in Vance McDonald's diminished value as a receiver.

That being said, he's developed into an outstanding blocker.
Originally posted by GEEK:
I think Roman has found a way to successfully integrate the FB in our passing game, and that itself has taken opportunities away from Vance McDonald and other offensive players.

Also, we've put more focus on our run game. Colin Kaepernick has averaged about 21 passes per game during our 5 game winning streak, while we've rushed for an average 38 times per game in the same time period.

In contrast, Alex Smith and the Chiefs has averaged about 32 passes per game and 28 rushes per game in the same time period.

With Kaepernick's trust in Vernon and Anquan, Roman's focus on integrating Bruce Miller as a primary weapon on offensive plays, and a reduction in pass play calls is resulting in Vance McDonald's diminished value as a receiver.

That being said, he's developed into an outstanding blocker.

Good post. But I highly doubt someone could convince me that CK feels more comfortable passing to Bruce Miller on the edge over actual receivers such as Baldwin, McDonald and Williams from the slot. Again, ppl keep assuming the passing issues are trust issues between CK and only Boldin/VD but the real issue of trust appears to be between those dialing up the passing plays (whoever that is) and who THEY trust. It appears whoever is calling the passing plays is forcing Miller into an unnatural passing game (dialing him up); the question is why? And why wouldn't you use a TE or WR as a safer option over a LB-turned-FB?
Share 49ersWebzone