LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 190 users in the forums

Greg Roman, is he really good?

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by lamontb:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
we have more options this year ..there should be no excuses to run a handcuffed & limited offense , we need to be aggressive while maintaining balance with the run game ...if it looks like Jimmy Raye is calling the plays again, Harbaugh needs to assume play calling responsibility

He already does. He signs off on each play before it goes in. This is HIS offensive Bo Schemblacher offense mixed in with some Pistol and some WCO designs (not principles).

Exactly. This is JH's offense.

So can we lay off Roman just a little?
Although he's different from Mike Nolan in every other way, Harbaugh is so like him in this respect. Conservative offensive philosophy. Play it close. Rely on defense.
It's worked out pretty well so far, but it limits the offense insomuch as it stunts the development of a diverse big strike capability. Almost all of the Niners big strikes rely on Kaepernick's freakish physical attributes, not the offensive scheme. If that makes sense.

There's a lot of fear "to show his whole hand" in Harbaugh, it looks to me. Always holding in reserve for down the road. To the point that the team never gets to practice that "reserve". And as we know, practice makes perfect.

I don't think that Harbaugh's biggest rival thinks that way. And he's had some major success.

So far Harbaugh has surprised me with his willingness to learn and change things up. I hope, now that he's measured his opponent's success, he'll be more willing to change in thi respect and unleash (or at least explore) the full potential of the Niners offense.
we have more options this year ..there should be no excuses to run a handcuffed & limited offense , we need to be aggressive while maintaining balance with the run game ...if it looks like Jimmy Raye is calling the plays again, Harbaugh needs to assume play calling responsibility

He already does. He signs off on each play before it goes in. This is HIS offensive Bo Schemblacher offense mixed in with some Pistol and some WCO designs (not principles).

TRUE!

This is the most exasperating aspect of our coaching staff.

We'll see what happens if JH uses the talent we have or is it more of the same.
This thread title still cracks me up when I see it.

Here's the perfect solution to all of our offensive woes:

Take away Roman's supply of game day twinkies. Tell him, he'll get one Twinkie for every TD we score. This will do it -- I guarantee it!
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by fortyninerglory:

Take away Roman's supply of game day twinkies. Tell him, he'll get one Twinkie for every TD we score. This will do it -- I guarantee it!

Originally posted by Rsrkshn:

Although he's different from Mike Nolan in every other way, Harbaugh is so like him in this respect. Conservative offensive philosophy. Play it close. Rely on defense.
It's worked out pretty well so far, but it limits the offense insomuch as it stunts the development of a diverse big strike capability. Almost all of the Niners big strikes rely on Kaepernick's freakish physical attributes, not the offensive scheme. If that makes sense.

There's a lot of fear "to show his whole hand" in Harbaugh, it looks to me. Always holding in reserve for down the road. To the point that the team never gets to practice that "reserve". And as we know, practice makes perfect.

I don't think that Harbaugh's biggest rival thinks that way. And he's had some major success.

So far Harbaugh has surprised me with his willingness to learn and change things up. I hope, now that he's measured his opponent's success, he'll be more willing to change in thi respect and unleash (or at least explore) the full potential of the Niners offense.

Great post man!

Yeah, I'm an advocate for changing this title to something like, "The HaRoman Offense" discussion thread. B/c they are tied together 100% and I've always said that. In fact, it could very well be the Singletary-Raye offensive scheme which is it starts with the coaches offensive philosophy and it's implemented by the OC. So to me, it's always been 1) Offensive philosophy 2) Scheme/game planning/adjustments and 3) Personnel and execution.

I'm ready to see some real changes on the field but like the GB game last year, I'll hold reservations to assess up to week 8, although, we'll know long before that. We've got every piece and more to bring that #6, no doubt.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by fortyninerglory:

[ Edited by Jcool on Sep 6, 2014 at 12:35 PM ]
we'll find out THIS YEAR!

Great post man!

Yeah, I'm an advocate for changing this title to something like, "The HaRoman Offense" discussion thread. B/c they are tied together 100% and I've always said that. In fact, it could very well be the Singletary-Raye offensive scheme which is it starts with the coaches offensive philosophy and it's implemented by the OC. So to me, it's always been 1) Offensive philosophy 2) Scheme/game planning/adjustments and 3) Personnel and execution.

I'm ready to see some real changes on the field but like the GB game last year, I'll hold reservations to assess up to week 8, although, we'll know long before that. We've got every piece and more to bring that #6, no doubt.

Thanks, NC.

Harbaugh is always talking about people having the "license" to do this and that.

Well, now practice what you preach: Give your playmakers the "license" to show how much they can do, instead of playing scared and keeping them on a short leash. I hate this "playing not to lose" attitude. I believe that its shows a lack of trust in your talent and retards your young playmakers' development.

You've got the horses, man. Let 'em rip!!

Great post man!

Thanks, NC.

Harbaugh is always talking about people having the "license" to do this and that.

Well, now practice what you preach: Give your playmakers the "license" to show how much they can do, instead of playing scared and keeping them on a short leash. I hate this "playing not to lose" attitude. I believe that its shows a lack of trust in your talent and retards your young playmakers' development.

You've got the horses, man. Let 'em rip!!

For sure!!! Let's do this...
Roman is too conservative as an OC.

Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
Roman is too conservative as an OC.

That's not really it. The way we call plays, it's hard to "get after a team" when we have the momentum, because the plays are decided by a committee.

Anything done by a group is going to have a slower, more plodding feel to it. A single individual can feel the momentum of a situation much quicker. That is why Peyton Manning can stay on fire for so long, he can feel the rhythm of the moment without anyone questioning him.

A group of people can be more creative, but they lack the ability instantly adapt to a situation.
^ Oh Really then how do you explain Seattle's up tempo Power run game with explosive passes/
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
^ Oh Really then how do you explain Seattle's up tempo Power run game with explosive passes/

"Up tempo" run game?

Marshawn Lynch is a great player. Without him, their appearance of an "up tempo" running game, disappears. Lynch and Wilson break so many tackles, they are too numerous to count.

Their "explosive passes" come from excellent play action fakes, which are a result of Lynch's running ability.
Its gonna be a great day when Roman is off this staff. We might actually get a killer instinct then.
28 points in the first half...better not score again to make it fair
Share 49ersWebzone